Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Congrats Collegeme :) Great news

Are any of ye getting really bad pain down in the pelvic region and especially when its moving a lot?? I keep thinking its actually going to come out. I keep thinking this is it this must be the plug or something but (TMI Look away if you want now, its just small bits of white discharge). Id love to think this means its coming soon but I dunno few days over too and willing it to stir now.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Oh, you don't want to be knocked out, trust me! It was horrible waking up not knowing what was going on, and not able to see my baby for three hours.

Sorry for scaring people! The reason I found the contractions hard was because there was no gap between them once I was put on oxytocin - before that I was coping okay. I had asked for an epidural but didn't have time to have it. I'm hoping next time I won't need oxytocin, I'll certainly be resisting it.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is oxctocin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is oxctocin?

It's a drug that they give you to speed up/intensify contractions. In my case, because my waters had gone at 11.30am, I got into hospital about 1.30pm, when I got there I was contracting but not dilating. They gave me an hour to start to dilate myself, when I didn't they put me on oxytocin to get me dilating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You won't be offered oxytocin or infact pitocin gel (the one that's used to induce labours) again if you've had a c section, they're known to contribute to scar rupture.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

My sister had an emergency section under ga and didnt think anything of it. Was holding baby after 45 mins, my aunty gave birth 12 mins after arriving in hospital. These are the stories im sticking to :) if i need a section so be it, might ask for a tummy tuck while they're at it :P and if I dont I shall take all the drugs going. Ive done my job by giving up my body for 9 months, how she comes out is out of my control so not dwelling on it :)

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    You won't be offered oxytocin or infact pitocin gel (the one that's used to induce labours) again if you've had a c section, they're known to contribute to scar rupture.
    Good to know!

Good to know!

I know! I was delighted to hear that on my second pregnancy! I either got to try my VBAC or if I went too far overdue it was another c section.

Madisson wrote: »
    My sister had an emergency section under ga and didnt think anything of it. Was holding baby after 45 mins, my aunty gave birth 12 mins after arriving in hospital. These are the stories im sticking to :) if i need a section so be it, might ask for a tummy tuck while they're at it :P and if I dont I shall take all the drugs going. Ive done my job by giving up my body for 9 months, how she comes out is out of my control so not dwelling on it :)

Fair play to your sister - I have to admit I feel very cheated; neither of us saw our son being born and we didn't get that wonderful moment of him coming into the world. I've no problem with a section per se, just the way it all happened. I dunno, maybe I'll feel different in time, but for now it's a bit raw. The thing I would say is to believe in your ability to do it - that did keep me going. Also, my partners encouragement and calmness really helped me focus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh, you don't want to be knocked out, trust me! It was horrible waking up not knowing what was going on, and not able to see my baby for three hours.

Sorry for scaring people! The reason I found the contractions hard was because there was no gap between them once I was put on oxytocin - before that I was coping okay. I had asked for an epidural but didn't have time to have it. I'm hoping next time I won't need oxytocin, I'll certainly be resisting it.

Don't think you can have it after having a previous section anyway. :)

I hated it too.

I tell ya, after the experience of an emergency section, the elective one was so positive and controlled. I don't for a second regret bypassing labour.

So ladies,another inappropriate q frum me but the bump,does it go down or wil we stil luk pregnant after birth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

So ladies,another inappropriate q frum me but the bump,does it go down or wil we stil luk pregnant after birth?

Your uterus has to contract back down to its original size so you'll probably look bloated for a week or two but you won't look nine months pregnant any more

I had a lot of loose skin before pregnancy, and my bump kind of filled it up! It's gone down pretty well. (I think!!) But I'm still carrying a lot of weight on my lower tum and hips. In the hospital there were women who still looked nine months gone and women who had flat tums, so I guess it depends.

oh god.......!!! Help.
    First bout of lower back pain, bump is like a very rough sea at the moment, up and down like I don't know what. Also load of movement and pressure down low. I dunno is this the start of something or be being a wuss, this is defo the worst night so far though.
    No period type pains just the back pain and unreal movement and horrible feeling down low.

oh god.......!!! Help.
    First bout of lower back pain, bump is like a very rough sea at the moment, up and down like I don't know what. Also load of movement and pressure down low. I dunno is this the start of something or be being a wuss, this is defo the worst night so far though.
    No period type pains just the back pain and unreal movement and horrible feeling down low.

I reckon we're going to have a serious run of births in the next few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I reckon we're going to have a serious run of births in the next few days :)

Hope youre ok Groucho marx and that it wasnt a false alarm :)

Ye me too..so many lates ahhh.. so weird still feels like yesterday I was sitting on the toilet with himself on the side of the bath while we both laughed for around half an hour with shock haha!!!

Nikmup we never found out the big question. .. did your waters intertere with the car interior :p

Madisson wrote: »
    Hope youre ok Groucho marx and that it wasnt a false alarm :)

Ye me too..so many lates ahhh.. so weird still feels like yesterday I was sitting on the toilet with himself on the side of the bath while we both laughed for around half an hour with shock haha!!!

Nikmup we never found out the big question. .. did your waters intertere with the car interior :p

Ha ha! No, they didn't! After I had a shower, I put on a maternity pad, I'd recommend putting on two as by the time I got to hospital it was soaked through. Every time I had a contraction a bit leaked! His seats were safe though :)

Ha ha! No, they didn't! After I had a shower, I put on a maternity pad, I'd recommend putting on two as by the time I got to hospital it was soaked through. Every time I had a contraction a bit leaked! His seats were safe though :)

Ha id forgotten bout his seats
    Still here anyway,bump was clearly haven joke at my expense last nite:-(

Ha id forgotten bout his seats
    Still here anyway,bump was clearly haven joke at my expense last nite:-(

Maybe it's getting in a practice run?!

Maybe it's getting in a practice run?!

Must be......it has some sense of humour on it anyway that's for sure ;)

I went out without baba for the first time today - my lovely OH shooed me out the door with instructions to do some shopping and have a coffee. I needed stuff in boots so I grabbed what I needed, stopped in M&S for a coffee (the first caffeinated one since february!) and printed off some of the many pics of junior we've taken. Felt so weird to be out in the world! I also grabbed some jeans in penneys, as my pre-pregnancy clothes are way too small - had to buy size 16 :( Exercise plan starts as soon as I get my six week check out of the way!

• Advertisement

Did they not tell you in the hospital that exercising isn't recommended for 12 weeks after a c section? Gentle exercise like swimming will be OK but I was warned not to do anything too strenuous until I was 12 weeks clear.

January wrote: »
    Did they not tell you in the hospital that exercising isn't recommended for 12 weeks after a c section? Gentle exercise like swimming will be OK but I was warned not to do anything too strenuous until I was 12 weeks clear.

When I was zonked on morphine I asked someone and they said six weeks but I could be badly mistaken! I'll check with my GP at my six week check anyway; I'll be going by her recommendation either way and easing into it gently.

Ladies Im starting to have serious doubts as to the chances of labour kicking off without intervention and the more I think about it the more I realise that everybody I know either got enduced, got a sweep or had a section booked and didn't actually just have labour start of its own accord.

Ladies Im starting to have serious doubts as to the chances of labour kicking off without intervention and the more I think about it the more I realise that everybody I know either got enduced, got a sweep or had a section booked and didn't actually just have labour start of its own accord.

I hope you go on your own - I suppose that you can dictate (to a point) how much intervention you have, or do it in stages - a sweep would be less invasive than having your waters broken for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Hey all
    Waters broke early this morning so went into holles st. Sent home to see if contractions start and if not come back in tomorrow morning to be induced.

Really shattered so went back to bed but since there have been getting severe pressure on my lower back which seems to be coming in waves every 10mins or so. I don't think they are contractions but that's what worries me, the real pain hasn't started and I'm struggling with the pressure on my back!
    Do contractions always appear on the tummy, I have heard you will see the stomach hardening and feel it there? Any tips pass on, I think it's going to be a long day ahead!

knock13 wrote: »
    Hey all
    Waters broke early this morning so went into holles st. Sent home to see if contractions start and if not come back in tomorrow morning to be induced.

Really shattered so went back to bed but since there have been getting severe pressure on my lower back which seems to be coming in waves every 10mins or so. I don't think they are contractions but that's what worries me, the real pain hasn't started and I'm struggling with the pressure on my back!
    Do contractions always appear on the tummy, I have heard you will see the stomach hardening and feel it there? Any tips pass on, I think it's going to be a long day ahead!

Mine started in my back, like yours, pressure, but then changed to period-like pains, then contractions proper. My belly was hard when I had the back pain. Good luck! Exciting!

Wow knock dead excited for you! Whats ur due date?
    Did ur waters go with a pop?
    I was with midwife today and she said contractions can be in the back or front or both because id been getting hard tummy last night and period pains but because I had no back pain I didnt tink it was anyting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Thanks Groucho I was due on the 10th so 4days over now (Think same as you if I recall correctly or someone on here had same date)
    I got up to go to the loo and great timing it all came gushing just as I was in the bathroom so no spoilt sheets here!
    I think they are definitely contractions just too far apart at the moment to be rushing in. I'm feeling really intensely in my back which i was more expecting in my tummy!
    Will keep you posted

knock13 wrote: »
    Thanks Groucho I was due on the 10th so 4days over now (Think same as you if I recall correctly or someone on here had same date)
    I got up to go to the loo and great timing it all came gushing just as I was in the bathroom so no spoilt sheets here!
    I think they are definitely contractions just too far apart at the moment to be rushing in. I'm feeling really intensely in my back which i was more expecting in my tummy!
    Will keep you posted

I thought so Knock, yep same date, 10th here so 4 days over today too :)

Im so jealous, I am willing things to get going here! You sound very relaxed, I think I would be panicking that its about to come out at home or something.
    Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Knock, those are contractions. Get timing them to see if they're regular. :)

Good luck lady!

Advertisement