Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Good luck knock! Exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

knock13 wrote: »
    I'm feeling really intensely in my back which i was more expecting in my tummy!
    Will keep you posted

Apologies for butting in here, but when I was in labour I never felt contractions in my stomach, only in my back. I was quite surprised at that, but apparently it can happen.

Best of luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

Baby John born Friday morning 11/10/13 @ 1.22 am, weighing 7lb 8 oz. Fast and furious in the end but all well.

Congratulations schoolhouse! Another boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Congrats schoolhouse!
    Good luck knock, hope it goes quick and easy for you!

Im getting all excited and stressed and anxious at the same time! Cant believe im gonna have my little girl in my arms tomorrow! feels unreal! just hope i wont have to wait around too long in the hospital, coz was told c sections are overbooked for the day so might take a while, gona b there early hoping its 'first come first serve' kinda system :P
    eek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

sister in law had a baby girl this evening she went in at 6 had the baby in her arms by 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Looking forward to posting this with a few days....

Posted here on Thurs that I was experiencing what seemed to be early labour signs. At the time was 7 days overdue and had booked induction for the following Monday [today!]. Had been advised that section was 90% on the cards because baby was not engaged at all and was measuring large. I was quite upset by this.

Well contractions continued to come every 5 mins so went to CUMH at midnight to be checked. Was 1cm. Was still coping well with the pain and thinking about going back home but they suggested staying overnight.

Sent partner home and pains intensified overnight, coming every 4-5 mins and quite painful. Stayed on birthing ball all night [lower back was in agony and ball was only position I could cope in] without any sleep but feeling closer with every pain.

Checked at 8am. I was still 1cm. Baby still floating around up high. Kill me now.

Partner came back to hospital and was fantastic helping me through contractions. Stayed on the ball which provided ease to the pressure but christ that pain in the back was cruel. Got sick a few times. Partner enjoyed my lovely fish lunch - plaice incase you're wondering. Informed me that a couple we knew had their baby boy that morning. She wasn't due for another two days. Never hated a couple and their innocent child so much :o

Checked at 1.30pm. Was 3cm and could go to the labour ward. Fantastic. Lost a bit of blood straight after check so using the pool was not allowed. A pity but looking forward to getting my hands on the gas and air. Midwife on duty showed me the best way to use it - inhale deeply as contraction builds then exhale strongly while relaxing your whole body and repeat until contraction passes. The relaxing of the body is what helps relieve the pain, and it gives you focus. I was worried about nausea seeing as I'd already been sick but it worked perfectly. Contractions started rolling into each other so a sign that progression was being made.

Checked again in a few hours. Still 3cm and baby still not fully engaged. Mother of god. We had to get down to business as baby was going to get distressed. Waters to be broken. Baby's head was just bouncing on big cushion of fluid and it was stopping everything. Waters ended up going themselves as they were pushing on my belly. The flood gates opened for what seemed a lifetime and I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been salmon jumping upstream and an oul fella rowing past in his currach saying top of the mornin'. Felt amazing to have the pressure released.

At 6.30pm midwife advised getting epidural as contractions would have to be intensified by way of oxi toxin drip and I hadn't slept in 34 hours. Okay, I sniffed, saying goodbye to my "birth preference". Well hello my new best friend. Once it kicked in, the feeling was incredible. I could still feel the pressure of the contractions but no pain. Started talking again. Fell asleep...

When I woke a little later I was 5-6 cm so they decided not to administer oxi toxin. But baby started to get a little unhappy with each contraction so they started to prepare me for chance of section as progression was too slow. They took blood test from baby's head to read it's ph. Reading was borderline so doctor allowed me to wait another half hour and a second test would be done and the future rested on the results....

After second test, lo and behold, everything changed. Baby moved position, trace showing it was very comfortable happy and I was progressing.

11pm I was fully dilated. Baby still -1 position [should be 0]. Got serious shakes and started to work up a temperature.

12am started to push. Like before, could feel the pressure but no pain so was able to work with contractions.... which then slowed down and spaced out. Started oxi toxin drip. Vacuum assistance needed to help dislodge baby from it's hiding place.

1.23am Sat morn our beautiful baby boy Isaac was FINALLY born at a lovely 8lb 13oz. He came out blinking and alert as if to say, ya so what's all the fuss about?

And ever since he has been the model baby. Feeding well, keeping us entertained. Looking back on this post, I can barely remember the lows anymore. Midwifes in CUMH are incredible. So supportive and encouraging but know what needs to be done. Delighted to be home even if it was strange and emotional at first! Let the obsessing over nappy contents begin...

dng7ci.jpg

307u9ep.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

livinsane wrote: »

Posted here on Thurs that I was experiencing what seemed to be early labour signs. At the time was 7 days overdue and had booked induction for the following Monday [today!]. Had been advised that section was 90% on the cards because baby was not engaged at all and was measuring large. I was quite upset by this.

Well contractions continued to come every 5 mins so went to CUMH at midnight to be checked. Was 1cm. Was still coping well with the pain and thinking about going back home but they suggested staying overnight.

Sent partner home and pains intensified overnight, coming every 4-5 mins and quite painful. Stayed on birthing ball all night [lower back was in agony and ball was only position I could cope in] without any sleep but feeling closer with every pain.

Checked at 8am. I was still 1cm. Baby still floating around up high. Kill me now.

Partner came back to hospital and was fantastic helping me through contractions. Stayed on the ball which provided ease to the pressure but christ that pain in the back was cruel. Got sick a few times. Partner enjoyed my lovely fish lunch - plaice incase you're wondering. Informed me that a couple we knew had their baby boy that morning. She wasn't due for another two days. Never hated a couple and their innocent child so much :o

Checked at 1.30pm. Was 3cm and could go to the labour ward. Fantastic. Lost a bit of blood straight after check so using the pool was not allowed. A pity but looking forward to getting my hands on the gas and air. Midwife on duty showed me the best way to use it - inhale deeply as contraction builds then exhale strongly while relaxing your whole body and repeat until contraction passes. The relaxing of the body is what helps relieve the pain, and it gives you focus. I was worried about nausea seeing as I'd already been sick but it worked perfectly. Contractions started rolling into each other so a sign that progression was being made.

Checked again in a few hours. Still 3cm and baby still not fully engaged. Mother of god. We had to get down to business as baby was going to get distressed. Waters to be broken. Baby's head was just bouncing on big cushion of fluid and it was stopping everything. Waters ended up going themselves as they were pushing on my belly. The flood gates opened for what seemed a lifetime and I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been salmon jumping upstream and an oul fella rowing past in his currach saying top of the mornin'. Felt amazing to have the pressure released.

At 6.30pm midwife advised getting epidural as contractions would have to be intensified by way of oxi toxin drip and I hadn't slept in 34 hours. Okay, I sniffed, saying goodbye to my "birth preference". Well hello my new best friend. Once it kicked in, the feeling was incredible. I could still feel the pressure of the contractions but no pain. Started talking again. Fell asleep...

When I woke a little later I was 5-6 cm so they decided not to administer oxi toxin. But baby started to get a little unhappy with each contraction so they started to prepare me for chance of section as progression was too slow. They took blood test from baby's head to read it's ph. Reading was borderline so doctor allowed me to wait another half hour and a second test would be done and the future rested on the results....

After second test, lo and behold, everything changed. Baby moved position, trace showing it was very comfortable happy and I was progressing.

11pm I was fully dilated. Baby still -1 position [should be 0]. Got serious shakes and started to work up a temperature.

12am started to push. Like before, could feel the pressure but no pain so was able to work with contractions.... which then slowed down and spaced out. Started oxi toxin drip. Vacuum assistance needed to help dislodge baby from it's hiding place.

1.23am Sat morn our beautiful baby boy Isaac was FINALLY born at a lovely 8lb 13oz. He came out blinking and alert as if to say, ya so what's all the fuss about?

And ever since he has been the model baby. Feeding well, keeping us entertained. Looking back on this post, I can barely remember the lows anymore. Midwifes in CUMH are incredible. So supportive and encouraging but know what needs to be done. Delighted to be home even if it was strange and emotional at first! Let the obsessing over nappy contents begin...

dng7ci.jpg

307u9ep.jpg

Lovely birth story :D Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

livinsane wrote: »

dng7ci.jpg

307u9ep.jpg

He's beautiful :)

Many congratulations, he's gorgeous!

• Advertisement

Dying to hear news on knock and hannav!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Maternity benefit being cut to €230 a week that's a huge difference. I presume it won't affect us because we are already on the higher rate and I think it kicks in in January. I hope it doesn't affect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Maternity benefit being cut to €230 a week that's a huge difference. I presume it won't affect us because we are already on the higher rate and I think it kicks in in January. I hope it doesn't affect us.

says new entrants only :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

New claimants from January, so not us. There's also only one level so at least the form should be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

It's a huge cut. It will put my 2nd on the back burner. Ha I haven't even had my first yet :-) bit of back pain earlier might be the start of something.

:-/ My second is on the back burner anyway, I was hoping to go back to work pregnant, but apparently you have to wait after a section to get pregnant again - don't know how long, t'internet tells me anything up to 2 years :( I'll check with the doctor, really hope it's not that long.

nikpmup wrote: »
    :-/ My second is on the back burner anyway, I was hoping to go back to work pregnant, but apparently you have to wait after a section to get pregnant again - don't know how long, t'internet tells me anything up to 2 years :( I'll check with the doctor, really hope it's not that long.

That's just a recommendation. You can get pregnant pretty much straight away.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's just a recommendation. You can get pregnant pretty much straight away.

Yep, recommendation... I was pregnant 5 months after my section and had a successful VBAC too :) (if you were considering trying for one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Seems to be a lot of differing opinions/timeframes with this. Found the same thing after the miscarriage and trying again. Obviously I know its different with a section. My cousin is due her second child the week after me. She got pregnant 5-6 months after having a section with her first. It would be worth checking what your doctor says alright.

Congrats to all the new mammies! Can't wait for my turn :-) Anyone on a computer feel like updating the list of new arrivals? I've no access to my laptop for a day or two and it's a bit annoying to do on my phone.

Really? That's great news if so; I'll check with the doc obviously but it'd be brilliant if I could. The doctor that did my section did tell me there should be no reason I couldn't have a VBAC, which I'd love. I got really stupidly upset this morning that I wouldn't be able to go again soon (I must be delirious from lack of sleep!)

• Advertisement

Really? That's great news if so; I'll check with the doc obviously but it'd be brilliant if I could. The doctor that did my section did tell me there should be no reason I couldn't have a VBAC, which I'd love. I got really stupidly upset this morning that I wouldn't be able to go again soon (I must be delirious from lack of sleep!)

Mine wasn't planned and it is tough going being pregnant and looking after a baby too, I won't lie there, the tiredness was unreal! But it's lovely having that age gap now :)

January wrote: »
    Mine wasn't planned and it is tough going being pregnant and looking after a baby too, I won't lie there, the tiredness was unreal! But it's lovely having that age gap now :)

Oh, I know I'm setting myself up for a tough run! Because of my age though, and because we want kids close in age we really don't want to hang about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Dying to know how knock is getting on!

Mine is a lazy lazy bump ;) Must be real comfy in there.

Ugh, woke around 3.30 with a horrible, vice like pain from the middle of my back around my side, to the middle of the top of my bump. Didn't last that long but it was nearly 7 before I got back to sleep and then I got woken there about 20 mins ago with an 'any sign of the baby?' text!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Dying to know how knock is getting on!

Mine is a lazy lazy bump ;) Must be real comfy in there.

Same here. Hoping reading about all the other babies being born, that mine may finally make his move, but nothing so far...

Booked in for induction at 4 today, so fingers crossed he makes a move before then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Wooha wrote: »
    Same here. Hoping reading about all the other babies being born, that mine may finally make his move, but nothing so far...

Booked in for induction at 4 today, so fingers crossed he makes a move before then...

Best of luck wooha!
    Let us know how you get on:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Hi all finally getting chance to update. My pains on mon turned into full on contractions n had gorgeous little boy conor at 1.23am tues. He is so perfect and worth every pain n weighed a decent 8lbs7oz. He has lots of dark hair, more than his dad.
    Managed the labour at home on my own just breathing thru the contractions until about 6pm when my hubbie came home n i puked. Remembered the tens macine then so put that on n do think it helped. Arrivd at hosp around 8pm n puked twice on corridor n was 2cm dilated. Went on gas n air which i highly recommend n was examind 2hrs later n was 7cm. Midwife was amazing n told me wouldnt b long until pushing so kept going n the pressure to push was unreal. Then it all didnt go as smoothly as my pushin wasnt getting his head fully out n he was getting distressed so all of sudden 2 more doctors in room n i had to b cut n cone on head to pull him out. He had to go to special care unit for rest of night just as they were concerned about his oxygen levels which was the worst part for me but he is fine n just perfect and with me. So in love with him already. Will c if can attach pic as using hubbie phone so bit clueless
    Good luck all those waitin n just think of the gorg little gift at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Pic hopefully!

Congrats Knock! He's gorgeous. Another boy !

• Advertisement

I updated the list and tried making it a little clearer! A sea of blue so far. At least until we hear from hanna.v!

3rd October -- monday monday -- Surprise -- Holles St
    10th October -- groucho marx -- Surprise
    20th October -- naughto's misses -- Surprise
    22nd October -- Madisson -- Girl
    26th October -- DoctorBoo -- Surprise
    27th October -- Roesy -- Surprise -- CUMH
    30th October -- chicita -- Surprise -- Limerick

4th September -- PuddingHead -- Baby Boy Dorian
    17th September -- trinz23 -- Baby Boy Joseph
    29th September -- freudiangirl -- Baby Boy Tomas
    30th September -- Das Kitty -- Baby Boy Rory
    4th October -- nikpmup -- Baby Boy Hugo