Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

If it's any consolation, I was having contractions when I was admitted with the kidney infection and they disappeared by the following morning. The morning after that I went into labour :) hang on in there, they can't stay in there forever!
    Also just heard that my colleague (who was due 15 days ago!) had her baby yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Good to know I'm not alone on this! I've come to the conclusion that mine was a dry run for the real thing.
    Also I've stopped thinking that baby is late - after all baby never agreed to come last Saturday. Nobody asked baby when s/he wants to come!!

Im the same. Kinda liking having these relaxing days and getting little things done in the house. Back in the rotunda tomorrow anyways so ill be 8 days over then. Hopefully wont need induction, I dont mind having to be in hospital after baby is born but unnecessary hanging around before would drive me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

nikpmup wrote: »
    My little lads the same, he spent from 9pm until 3am screeching last night - poor little divil. I'm knackered!

Although it does feel good not to be pregnant anymore - what little sleep I got last night was on my stomach! Couldn't sleep on my front while my c-section scar was healing, so that was the first time!

Hanna Nikpmup thank god you guys are experiencing the same,Last night I was beyond worried, was thinking what was mother nature thinking giving this poor child to me.

I'm thinking of giving the phn a call or the doc, I'm sure the poor lil guy has reflux. I do wish he'd have his screaming fits in the daytime! He's perfect in the day - feeds, burps, sleeps, no problem. Come 9pm he turns into a red-faced angry little ball. Poor guy seems in so much pain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I'm thinking of giving the phn a call or the doc, I'm sure the poor lil guy has reflux. I do wish he'd have his screaming fits in the daytime! He's perfect in the day - feeds, burps, sleeps, no problem. Come 9pm he turns into a red-faced angry little ball. Poor guy seems in so much pain :(

I'm not the only one going through it.... He's an angel in the day but at night is when the party is starts....

I was crying alday yesterday. Oh had to work today so managed to feed and change him and get out in under 2 hours. :-) My mam took him for a few hours so I'm curled up in bed with hot water bottle now..

I really felt helpless yesterday and blaming myself that I'm doing something wrong. But today I was a new woman. I have docs app next week and started taking iron again as I can't stand the tiredness and I'm still bleeding a lot.

It's worth it though when I look at him. He's a blessing....

Hope all the mammies are keeping well and mammies to be are hanging in there :) it's worth it xxx

• Advertisement

Exact same here, doesn't start going into freak the life out of mammy mode until about 11.30 when theres no way I can contact anyone without worrying them too.

when they get to the stage of having theirself in a state and the tears go with their breath I just feel like crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Just for those with crying babies in evening/night time - it may not be colic -as well as making sure that they are properly winded throughout the day, you could also try making sure that they are not being overstimulated throughout the day - you could try keeping visitors to a minimum, ensuring that the room is nice and dark and quiet when they are sleeping and ensuring that they are put in their cot/crib/moses basket to sleep. I'd also keep the same routine in the evening as you do in the day time, e.g. give them the same amount of attention throughout the day, no more or less, keep their sleeping space the same (i.e. don't let them sleep in your arms in the day time and then expect them to sleep in their cot in the evening time. Just keep things consistent for them - light, temperature, attention, etc.

Of course this may not be the problem at all and you'll probably know yourself if it is. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ugh, have a bit of a stomach upset and pain in my stomach around my belly button. Supposed to be going out for dinner with friends who are home from Hungary. Don't want to miss it because it's probably the only chance I'll get to catch up with them otherwise. Dinner isn't until 8, I'm usually in my pyjamas around an hour and half at that stage these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

hanna.v wrote: »
    seems our cheeky october babies r all lil screamers :)

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one finding it tough going once the little baba is here. This breast feeding is very hard going, he seems to feed for hours at night and then today he has slept most of the day so I reckon I will be up all night. The worst is the wind though as can hear the pain in his cry and just can't get the wind up. Anyone any tips for winding?

On the plus side it is great to see my feet again and sleep on my tummy and he is still the cutest little thing in my world!

I'm rubbish at getting his wind up, OH does a better job, although it appears moving him around gets a burp up - changing him from knee to knee or giving him to my OH, he'll often burp just after being moved. Persistence & patience is the key!
    It is good to know we're not the only ones - this thread could well turn into a nocturnal support group :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

the late night feeds are the hardest for me.during the day i dont mind at all.
    or little man was very good at taking his bottle in the hospital,but since we got him home it takes a lot longer for him to drink his bottle get his wind up and then settle for the night.

I don't even mind the night feeds, it's just the relentless crying and being unable to soothe him. It's horrible to see the poor little lad in discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

this happened to my brother with there 1st child every evening from 6 untill 9 she would ball they could not figure out what was up,she eventully grew out of it.
    where getting 3 some times 4 hours between feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

My little man was having nothing to do with breastfeeding in hospital and very slow at the bottle but since we got home and settled he is making up for lost time.
    Initially I had to wind him after every ounce but he much better now. I sit him up went giving him his bottle rather than lying him back in my arms (trick from first son who had reflux) and sit him up straightish to wind him. Stretch his back and tummy which usually helps release any trapped wind along with a little back rub and pat.
    Getting 3-3 1/2 hours between feeds in day time and 5 hours at night.
    Try to avoid loads of visitors holding baby as this really disrupts him when it comes to bed time. Look but dont touch is the new motto, Grannies and Daddy only ones getting cuddles these days. You learn the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Been in established labour for 11 hours now. Waters still havent gone though. Waiting for a room to become available in delivery. :(

Madisson wrote: »
    Been in established labour for 11 hours now. Waters still havent gone though. Waiting for a room to become available in delivery. :(

Will be thinking of you Madisson!!

I don't even mind the night feeds, it's just the relentless crying and being unable to soothe him. It's horrible to see the poor little lad in discomfort.
    Same here, I don't mind the feeds I feel so helpless when I cant get her settled though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can do it! Will be thinking of you today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Same here, I don't mind the feeds I feel so helpless when I cant get her settled though.

I found with my first that co-sleeping was the only way he settled. Obviously it's not for everyone, but it worked for us. Doctor Sears has some great information on his site with the Dos and Don'ts. I think with James, his birth was so traumatic he needed to be close to me and hear my heart beat to settle. He was sleeping all night in his own cot at 7 weeks so it doesn't have to be the start if a long term arrangement.

Good luck Madisson!

• Advertisement

Good luck! And hurry up and give birth, some other woman so Madisson can have your room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Good luck! And hurry up and give birth, some other woman so Madisson can have your room!!

She may have got one, haven't heard from her for a while! So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

yay Madisson! cant wait to hear how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

good luck today

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

So exciting Madisson!!

No sign of anything moving here. Head still high on scan today. Booked in to begin induction next Wednesday evening. Come on little baby, show your face before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Hey Rosey, just you and me left! I'm going to see the consultant in the morning. I'm sure they are going to book me in for an induction. I'm going to negotiate for as much time as possible. I really want things to go naturally.
    I had a bit of a show this morning, so I suppose I might go myself?!

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Hey Rosey, just you and me left! I'm going to see the consultant in the morning. I'm sure they are going to book me in for an induction. I'm going to negotiate for as much time as possible. I really want things to go naturally.
    I had a bit of a show this morning, so I suppose I might go myself?!

Hopefully you will. A show is surely a good sign! In Cork the policy is a max of 10 days over. I'll be brought in at 9 days to start the gels in the evening and get my waters broken on the 10th day. Consultant was happy that things were stable enough to give me as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Best of luck,hope all goes well. Let us know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Best of luck, it'll all be worth it soon!

knock13 wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for winding?

I find best way is to sit baby on my knee, lean him forward and put my hand under his chin around his neck [looks like Im gonna choke him but Im very gentle!] and pat/rub his back firmly. I also give him a foot massage for a good twenty minutes in the evening, using coconut oil, and that brings out the wind too. Or open the babygro at the bottom and leave the legs out to kick around. I've found that anytime baby cries hard [assuming he's not hungry], it's always because of wind. So a good technique is a must!

For those suffering at night, co-sleeping has saved us. Tried the cot the first night and it was a disaster. Poor dad has been banished to the spare room for the first few weeks so I have enough space to have baby in bed with me - at arms length under his own blanket - and I can feed him lying down so when he drops off, I don't have to move him. I've learned to fall asleep quickly when he does! Dad gets a full nights sleep and, when he's not working, takes baby after a feed in the morning so I can get an hour or two uninterrupted sleep and a proper shower. They are currently watching Rambo movies together!

Oh and can I also recommend the Ergo baby carrier to everyone. Its a life saver for trying to get jobs done around the house when the baby wants to be held. Ive used it for every trip out too, don't think the buggy is going to see the light of day.

Advertisement