Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,
    lurking from the Dec 2013 thread. I just love reading updates when new babies arrive!

Someone mentioned their new baby relentlessy crying and not being able to find out why. I just wanted to say that I know two women where I am living here in Denmark, who had issues with their new babies constantly crying and not being able to soothe them or figure out what was wrong.

Turns out the babies were sore from the birth - being squashed through the birth canal had left them with some joint pain etc. Anyway, a quick trip to a baby chiropractor sorted them both out - the difference in their babies afterwards was apparantly unreal. I don't know if we have baby chiropractors in Ireland - but just something to think about if you cannot find a root cause for them crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

My little girl was born at 2.53 this morning weighing 7 pounds. Was getting contractions for 20 hours before I got my epidural so im wrecked to say the least. Ended up only pushing for 7 mins and only needed 1 stitch so it was a really good labour once they gave me the happy juice. She is the most beautiful thing in the world. Smiling from ear to ear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Madisson wrote: »
    My little girl was born at 2.53 this morning weighing 7 pounds. Was getting contractions for 20 hours before I got my epidural so im wrecked to say the least. Ended up only pushing for 7 mins and only needed 1 stitch so it was a really good labour once they gave me the happy juice. She is the most beautiful thing in the world. Smiling from ear to ear :D

Fantastic news Madisson!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

w
    Welcome new team pink member:-D
    Congrats madison,great news !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congrats Madisson :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Fantastic news Madisson!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Yay! Congrats Madisson!!

Hi all,
    lurking from the Dec 2013 thread. I just love reading updates when new babies arrive!

Someone mentioned their new baby relentlessy crying and not being able to find out why. I just wanted to say that I know two women where I am living here in Denmark, who had issues with their new babies constantly crying and not being able to soothe them or figure out what was wrong.

Turns out the babies were sore from the birth - being squashed through the birth canal had left them with some joint pain etc. Anyway, a quick trip to a baby chiropractor sorted them both out - the difference in their babies afterwards was apparantly unreal. I don't know if we have baby chiropractors in Ireland - but just something to think about if you cannot find a root cause for them crying.

Not to get into the chiropractors argument (personally wouldn't go near one) but my baby was a c-section delivery so he didn't get squashed! He's just windy and whingey.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

congrats Madisson!! Great news (epidurals are great arent they :-)

Roesy wrote: »
    No sign of anything moving here. Head still high on scan today. Booked in to begin induction next Wednesday evening. Come on little baby, show your face before then!

Hey Roesy,

just some tips for CUMH:
    It is absolutely roasting hot in the wards - go with the lightest PJ's and tops that you have.
    If you are planning to breastfeed, if you are having any problems at all, "demand" to speak to the lactation consultant Rebecca straight away. I got sooo much different and contradictory advise from those midwifes, use nipple shields, omg you should not use them at all, express milk, why are you expressing, do this, oh no, dont do that... (At one stage one midwive asked me if I was "anti-teat" because I wanted to follow their hospital guidlines and feed the babba expressed milk from the beaker instead of a bottle (they have big sign in the nursery room to say that if breastfed babies need a top up, not to use teats, but beakers only) It was very very confusing and contradictory I didnt know my left hand from my right by day 3... There are two breast feeding classes on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, but Rebecca is there Monday to Friday. You can also ring her directly on the CUMH breastfeeding helpline 021 4920752 or 0876623874. She is really lovely and spent about 30 minutes with me which was great and I learned so much!

Fingers crossed you get there without induction, but if you have questions on induction in CUMH let me know, I went through it two weeks ago :-)
    (FYI, you cannot use the labour pool if you are being induced)

• Advertisement

Wooha wrote: »
    Hey Roesy,

just some tips for CUMH:
    It is absolutely roasting hot in the wards - go with the lightest PJ's and tops that you have.
    If you are planning to breastfeed, if you are having any problems at all, "demand" to speak to the lactation consultant Rebecca straight away. I got sooo much different and contradictory advise from those midwifes, use nipple shields, omg you should not use them at all, express milk, why are you expressing, do this, oh no, dont do that... (At one stage one midwive asked me if I was "anti-teat" because I wanted to follow their hospital guidlines and feed the babba expressed milk from the beaker instead of a bottle (they have big sign in the nursery room to say that if breastfed babies need a top up, not to use teats, but beakers only) It was very very confusing and contradictory I didnt know my left hand from my right by day 3... There are two breast feeding classes on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, but Rebecca is there Monday to Friday. You can also ring her directly on the CUMH breastfeeding helpline 021 4920752 or 0876623874. She is really lovely and spent about 30 minutes with me which was great and I learned so much!

Fingers crossed you get there without induction, but if you have questions on induction in CUMH let me know, I went through it two weeks ago :-)
    (FYI, you cannot use the labour pool if you are being induced)

All that info is a great help Wooha, especially about the breastfeeding. Didn't know that about the labour pool either. Good to know. My induction is technically thurs because that's when they plan to break my waters. Am going in Wednesday afternoon to begin gels. Were you brought in the day before too? Really hope I go myself but baby is still quite high and I've had no other signs of things starting.

All that info is a great help Wooha, especially about the breastfeeding. Didn't know that about the labour pool either. Good to know. My induction is technically thurs because that's when they plan to break my waters. Am going in Wednesday afternoon to begin gels. Were you brought in the day before too? Really hope I go myself but baby is still quite high and I've had no other signs of things starting.

I rang the hospital on the monday before my induction and they said it was ok to use the pool if you are being induced. So really happy about that and looking forward to it. By the time I was in the induction room Thursday evening, the doc there told me that once you are induced you are a high risk pregnancy and therefore are no longer allowed in the pool... quite a shock to my system as I had been really looking forward to it.

If you go naturally, they may say you are not allowed in the pool if your waters are broken, but that is not correct either. I got a leaflet in the ante natal class and it says as long as your waters broke in the last 24 hours, then you are ok to use the pool.

below a quick run down on my induction:

wed 6pm - first gel - had to lie in bed for an hour and then could move around

wed midnight - internal check. everything looked good, so I didnt get a second gel and was told that I would go to the induction room on thursday (i had light contractions from around midnight until about 7 am and then nothing)

thursday 6am - everything fine still and was told that as soon as a bed is free I was going to the induction room (one room with 5 beds)

thursday 9 pm - a bed finally became available... apparently it was a very busy day and I was second last on the list for induction... (spent most of the day walking the corridors and bouncing on the gym ball trying to get things going, so dead tired by 9 pm)

thursday 10 or 11 pm i cant really remember exactly - waters were broken. normally you are supposed to get around 4 hours to see if anything happens naturally, but the doc said nothing would happen looking at my cervix.. I put my foot down and did some walking, bouncing for two hours. nothing happened and I gave in as I was soo tired at that stage.

then went on the oxytocin drip (and blood pressure monitor, little beeping thing on the finger and CTG monitors and the contractions started a while after that.
    was a bit annoying to be hooked up to all these things, but I could move around the bed, bounce on the gym ball, but you cant go for walks or anything like that. If you have to go to the loo, you have to get the midwife to disconnect you and somebody has to come to the bathroom with you.

For me, the pain was quite bad, so tried gas and air first and then pethadine which took the edge off. the midwive said a tens machine would be good at this stage, but of course I didnt hire one as I thought I'd be in the pool :-)

I know lots of people say that the continuous monitoring is not great, but I though it was really cool :-) I could see the numbers rising just before I got a new contraction so could prepare myself for it (and go mad sucking at the gas and air ;-)

At some stage then I was 6cm and a labour room became available and got the epidural there (loved the epidural and actually thought the catheter was great - after 9 months of continuously running to the loo, the feeling of not having to go constantly was great :-)

managed some sleep which was lovely
    got to 8 cm while sleeping.

Maybe around 8:30 or so they did a little blood test on his head and unfortunately he showed signs of stress, so emergency c-section for me :-(

but that is basically how the induction part went for me. I went through all the stages as the babba just didnt want to come out...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Congrats Madisson! welcome to the world lil baby girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Im delighted madisson big congratulations xx

Wooha wrote: »
    I rang the hospital on the monday before my induction and they said it was ok to use the pool if you are being induced. So really happy about that and looking forward to it. By the time I was in the induction room Thursday evening, the doc there told me that once you are induced you are a high risk pregnancy and therefore are no longer allowed in the pool... quite a shock to my system as I had been really looking forward to it.

If you go naturally, they may say you are not allowed in the pool if your waters are broken, but that is not correct either. I got a leaflet in the ante natal class and it says as long as your waters broke in the last 24 hours, then you are ok to use the pool.

below a quick run down on my induction:

wed 6pm - first gel - had to lie in bed for an hour and then could move around

wed midnight - internal check. everything looked good, so I didnt get a second gel and was told that I would go to the induction room on thursday (i had light contractions from around midnight until about 7 am and then nothing)

thursday 6am - everything fine still and was told that as soon as a bed is free I was going to the induction room (one room with 5 beds)

thursday 9 pm - a bed finally became available... apparently it was a very busy day and I was second last on the list for induction... (spent most of the day walking the corridors and bouncing on the gym ball trying to get things going, so dead tired by 9 pm)

thursday 10 or 11 pm i cant really remember exactly - waters were broken. normally you are supposed to get around 4 hours to see if anything happens naturally, but the doc said nothing would happen looking at my cervix.. I put my foot down and did some walking, bouncing for two hours. nothing happened and I gave in as I was soo tired at that stage.

then went on the oxytocin drip (and blood pressure monitor, little beeping thing on the finger and CTG monitors and the contractions started a while after that.
    was a bit annoying to be hooked up to all these things, but I could move around the bed, bounce on the gym ball, but you cant go for walks or anything like that. If you have to go to the loo, you have to get the midwife to disconnect you and somebody has to come to the bathroom with you.

For me, the pain was quite bad, so tried gas and air first and then pethadine which took the edge off. the midwive said a tens machine would be good at this stage, but of course I didnt hire one as I thought I'd be in the pool :-)

I know lots of people say that the continuous monitoring is not great, but I though it was really cool :-) I could see the numbers rising just before I got a new contraction so could prepare myself for it (and go mad sucking at the gas and air ;-)

At some stage then I was 6cm and a labour room became available and got the epidural there (loved the epidural and actually thought the catheter was great - after 9 months of continuously running to the loo, the feeling of not having to go constantly was great :-)

managed some sleep which was lovely
    got to 8 cm while sleeping.

Maybe around 8:30 or so they did a little blood test on his head and unfortunately he showed signs of stress, so emergency c-section for me :-(

but that is basically how the induction part went for me. I went through all the stages as the babba just didnt want to come out...

Very in depth, thanks! Good to hear someone else's experience. Consultant said I'd get a gel at 6pm and 12 and he'd be in to break my waters the following morning and that I "should" have the baby by 8 o clock that evening. At least I know now not to be too set on that timeline either.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Congratulations Madisson!! That's great news! B-)
    Well after some negotiation this morning, I managed to get the date for induction postponed. Now I have an appointment for next Tuesday to monitor baby and if everything is still ok, I can have a couple more days.
    The consultant said that things are progressing (though slowly), baby's head is right down and the cervix is partially ready, so there's a good chance I could go myself. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Congrats Madison, great news well done and welcome baby girl

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Waters broke at 6.20 this morning. Strong contractions since (irregular). Things look like they might be under way!! ;-)

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Waters broke at 6.20 this morning. Strong contractions since (irregular). Things look like they might be under way!! ;-)

Woooohoooo. Get the pethetine if they are really sore, really takes the edge off :)

My baba came out so fast that she didnt clear her lungs so is quite mucusy and keeps getting sick but we're coming home today.

Shes such a divil...had me up feeding all night and now shes asleep the last 3 hours. Shes so perfect though. Blonde hair and blue eyes just like her mammy :)

DoctorBoo wrote: »

Brilliant! Good luck!

• Advertisement

Good luck Doctor Boo!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Good luck Doctor Boo!

Don't worry, I'll stay and keep you company. :)

Good luck DB!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'll stay and keep you company. :)

Good luck DB!

Thanks Das! Didn't want to be rattling around in here by myself. I'm still an October mammy at heart :) My cousin(who is due next week) had her baby this morning. I'm jealous and nervous! Getting apprehensive about what's coming(in terms of labour etc) but dying to meet my little bundle.

Good luck Dr Boo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Gud luck doctor boo:-) im sticken around rosey to make sure yours arrives before santy ;-)

Gud luck doctor boo:-) im sticken around rosey to make sure yours arrives before santy ;-)

To be honest Groucho, he or she seems far too comfortable to make an appearance anytime soon. My mother in law told me that my husband was 3 weeks late so that's probably where this little one gets it's laid back mentality!!

Any of you recommend a good breast pump?only have a manual one and I can see that we're not going to be the best of friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Any of you recommend a good breast pump?only have a manual one and I can see that we're not going to be the best of friends :D

im happy with my innosense (mothercare brand) one, u can regulate the suction,its clear to see the flow and easy to wash, the only thing is that is not half as powerful with just batteries as it is connected to the mains but i guess thats probably same for all the pumps. rotunda recommends the medela brand but i didnt like the look of it.

I have the medela swing and it has paid for itself at this stage! I've pumped five/six times a day every day since I got home from the hospital. The only thing I would change is I'd like a second breast attachment, it's a pain having to wash & sterilise it every time. You can get them off the medela website afaik

• Advertisement

The Medela swing has been recommended a lot to me. A friend has one she used twice and has promised it to me if I want it.

I find I'm really slowing down the last day or two. Wrecked tired yesterday and today, so much so that I had to go to bed for an hour when we came home from our friends child's first birthday. Still no sign of anything stirring here. Wonder how Dr Boo is doing?

Advertisement