Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Hi ladies
    So have some of you already pumped? How many weeks were you breast feeding when you first pumped? I was going to start but was told by public health nurse I should wait 4 to 6 weeks til I get things established. was there a certain time of day you pumped as I know you have to make sure you don't affect your supply for baby?
    Also for those breastfeeding do you switch sides at each feed or try to empty one side before switching?
    Sorry for all the Qs but I keep getting conflicting advice and would be interested in getting your opinions
    Thanks

Good luck last few remaining ladies, dying to hear your news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

knock13 wrote: »
    Hi ladies
    So have some of you already pumped? How many weeks were you breast feeding when you first pumped? I was going to start but was told by public health nurse I should wait 4 to 6 weeks til I get things established. was there a certain time of day you pumped as I know you have to make sure you don't affect your supply for baby?
    Also for those breastfeeding do you switch sides at each feed or try to empty one side before switching?
    Sorry for all the Qs but I keep getting conflicting advice and would be interested in getting your opinions
    Thanks

Good luck last few remaining ladies, dying to hear your news

I pumped in the hospital, but that was because I wasn't able to breastfeed and I wanted to feed him expressed milk (also, my milk was ages coming in and I wanted to stimulate it by pumping)
    As for feeding, my PHN told me to empty one breast at a time - so one breast, one feed (so that the baby gets the fat-rich hind milk)
    There's a breastfeeding thread on the newborn & toddlers forum, they are a font of knowledge & experience, they'll be able to help with any queries.

Yooo-hooooo....!

Anyone here....?!

*echoes.....*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Day 288 in the Big Brother house....Still hail and hearty, if somewhat tired. I'm off to visit my cousin and her new baby this evening. Was hoping the next I'd be darkening the doors of CUMH would be to evict this little critter. Ah well, two more days before I'm brought in if I don't go myself in the meantime. Baby still seems v.cosy where they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Was just coming on to see if you were still here rosey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Thanks for the advice ladies. I did express because I was all over the place but the rotunda midwife was out with me sat, sun and today and feel more confident with bf now. Im soo in love with my one. Shes so teeny and perfect.

Roesy good luck with it your last few days... you will feel like you can take on the world once you have baba... except when you need to pee...haha :)

Major proud mammy moment. Baby is already back over her birth weight in just 6 days and exclusive bf. Ahhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Madisson wrote: »
    Major proud mammy moment. Baby is already back over her birth weight in just 6 days and exclusive bf. Ahhhh :D
    well done mammy Madisson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Hey Roesy,
    If you haven't started naturally yet, then good luck with the induction!

Hello fellow mammys! Baby Olivia Michelle was born this morning weighing 8lb 2oz. Got gels at 6.30 and 12.30 last night. Felt loads of bad back pain and trucked on thinking it was gel pains as they didn't feel like what I'd heard contractions were like. Had sent hubby home at 11 because I'd been told prepare for a long day today. I was in and out of the shower and bath like a blue arse fly still thinking these gel pains were awful and worrying about how I was going to cope with labour. Consultant arrived in at 7am to find me on all fours on my bed almost crying and thinking I should prob get some pain relief. He saw by the look of me that it wasn't gel pains and when he examined me I was 6cm!! Asked at that stage was it time to call in my husband. That was met with a resounding yes. He left to get a delivery suite ASAP and to arrange for epidural because I was in bits. By the time I got down there I was 8cm. Husband arrived then. Consultant asked again about epi and more or less advised against it at that stage. Took his advice and went with the gas and air. Baby got a little distressed but was born 40 mins later with vacuum assistance. Her temp was a bit low and she was quite tired and lethargic and took ages to feed so there was talk of neonatal. Eventually she took a bit of formula and she was allowed stay with us. They are keeping an eye on her and I'll attempt to breastfeed again shortly. She's snoozing away and I can't stop looking at her. Should be asleep myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Big congrats roesy!

Yay, big congrats! Love the name too :) Are you the last of the October mammies?

Congrats Roesy!

Congrats roesy. :D

cant believe my baby is a week old today. I dont want her to get any bigger. Boo...getting photo s taken of her tomorrow. Can't wait :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congrats Roesy!

Isn't it brilliant to be able to say you didn't know you were in labour! Glad your little girl perked up quickly.

Beautiful name. Elegant and timeless. Love it.

Roesy wrote: »
    Hello fellow mammys! Baby Olivia Michelle was born this morning weighing 8lb 2oz. Got gels at 6.30 and 12.30 last night. Felt loads of bad back pain and trucked on thinking it was gel pains as they didn't feel like what I'd heard contractions were like. Had sent hubby home at 11 because I'd been told prepare for a long day today. I was in and out of the shower and bath like a blue arse fly still thinking these gel pains were awful and worrying about how I was going to cope with labour. Consultant arrived in at 7am to find me on all fours on my bed almost crying and thinking I should prob get some pain relief. He saw by the look of me that it wasn't gel pains and when he examined me I was 6cm!! Asked at that stage was it time to call in my husband. That was met with a resounding yes. He left to get a delivery suite ASAP and to arrange for epidural because I was in bits. By the time I got down there I was 8cm. Husband arrived then. Consultant asked again about epi and more or less advised against it at that stage. Took his advice and went with the gas and air. Baby got a little distressed but was born 40 mins later with vacuum assistance. Her temp was a bit low and she was quite tired and lethargic and took ages to feed so there was talk of neonatal. Eventually she took a bit of formula and she was allowed stay with us. They are keeping an eye on her and I'll attempt to breastfeed again shortly. She's snoozing away and I can't stop looking at her. Should be asleep myself!!

wow rosey your pregnancy was so similar to mine, also sent hubby home and was gone much further than Id thought so at the point of getting a delivery suite it was too late for epi and we trucked on with just the gas, was well into the push push stage by the time himself arrived in.

Brilliant news, congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Congratulations Roesy xxx

Olivia is a lovely name x

Aww big congrats rosey delighted to check in and hear of another beautiful baby. Hope you are doing well, beautiful name.

Is that all the babies. Or we still waiting to hear of any more arrivals?

Might be the last to be born alright. Did we ever get an update from a Doctor Boo?

Have had a bit of a traumatic day since. Loads of blood loss, talks of high dependency unit and theatre at different stages. Hoping things have settled down or it'll be off to theatre. Little miss is so good but I only managed to give her one feed myself before all the drama kicked off. Will attempt to breast feed again tomorrow.

That's not easy missus. Hope you're on the mend now.

• Advertisement

Things have settled a good bit since yesterday. Little miss is a bit lethargic about feeding still but is slightly jaundiced which could be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Baby Angelina was born Nov 2nd at 1.08am. Sorry for the delay in updating you guys, but we only got out of hospital yesterday and I had no internet in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

I had no epidural and the birth went well until near the end when the baby showed signs of distress. At that point, I had an episiotomy and a suction delivery.
    Angelina is absolutely beautiful and I'm still amazed that's she's finally arrived. She wasn't well early in the week (2 days old) and they diagnosed her with an infection and with jaundice. She spent three days in a special care unit. The staff there are amazing and so caring. She's out now and absolutely thriving.
    My stitches have gotten infected, my mobility is restricted and I am in a lot of pain. But, she really was worth it all and I can't wait to get back to normal and really begin to enjoy her.

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    I had no epidural and the birth went well until near the end when the baby showed signs of distress. At that point, I had an episiotomy and a suction delivery.
    Angelina is absolutely beautiful and I'm still amazed that's she's finally arrived. She wasn't well early in the week (2 days old) and they diagnosed her with an infection and with jaundice. She spent three days in a special care unit. The staff there are amazing and so caring. She's out now and absolutely thriving.
    My stitches have gotten infected, my mobility is restricted and I am in a lot of pain. But, she really was worth it all and I can't wait to get back to normal and really begin to enjoy her.

Congratulations Dr Boo! Beautiful name. Looks like most of team pink were waiting to make later arrivals!!Sorry to hear she was under the weather. My own little lady is jaundiced too. Has just been taken off for an extra test there. My delivery was similar, no epidural and vacuum delivery over signs of distress. Id imagine the restricted movement and infected stitches are sore and annoying with a newborn. I was confined to bed yesterday and had to have a catheter in until this afternoon which made getting around and looking after Olivia hard. Feel better soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Congrats to the new mammies. Lovely names...and not because one just happens to be the same as mine :D Nice to see a few girls appearing to even things up. There is nobody left now is there?

Isaac is one month today. I was told the time would fly but didn't think it would go this fast. He had his first public lunch yesterday (outside of the car) in Fota hotel lobby. Nothing less than five star for my little man! And I got a free pot of tea!

Congrats Doctor Boo! Beautiful name :)

My little lad was jaundiced as well, but it wasn't spotted by the hospital, the phn and my GP noticed it. He's fine now, it was gone by the time he was about 4 weeks. I hope you recover soon, and you too Roesy. It's no fun being sore and not able to be up & about. And it's also no fun having your little one in special care! They'll be home with you soon :)

I think I might be done expressing. I'm not pumping enough to keep up my supply, I just can't get to pump every three hours as he can be quite demanding and it can take ages to feed & settle him - by the time I've all that done, the pump attachments sterilised, grab something to eat or have a shower or whatever, he's awake again and I miss the opportunity. Once I sit down to pump I literally can't move until I'm done so if he gets cranky I can't get to him. Also, heading out to the shops/out to lunch or whatever needs to be squeezed into that window. Pumping at night has me knackered as well. So my supply has dwindled down to very little. I have a bit in the freezer, and I'll pump what I can this week but I think I might be finishing up then. He'll be six weeks on Friday so he's had a good start. I just hope the formula agrees with him! One more worry!

That's us all popped now, isn't it? I'm kinda sad! It's been an eventful nine months! Made all the better for having shared it with you ladies (all mammies now!) I have found myself looking a little wistfully at women with bumps :) Shall we meet up back here in a year for #2 (or #3)?!! ;)

Congrats doctor boo, another lovely girls name too. Hope you are doing ok. Your delivery sounds similar to mine too and I found my stitches pretty sore day 3 or 4 but thankfully didn't get infected. I presume they gave you some antibiotics to help clear that quickly. Good luck bringing your baby home and you too rosey. I found the first day or two at home I was very emotional and cried a lot but I was warned that would happen n it definitely gets easier.

Livinsane I'm with you on not believing how quickly the time has gone, my little fella is almost a month n it has flown by! We also had our first outing n feeding in public this week so getting more confident.

Nikpmup it sounds like you have given your little one a great start and you know your baby better than anyone so go with your instincts if you feel you need to change his feeding. I haven't started expressing yet but hope to this week if I can n see if he will take the bottle for me. I got him weighed during week n he already has put on 1lb2ozs so at least I know the constant feeding is making a difference. Yes we should all meet here for number 2!!

I don't blame you for moving on from pumping nikpmup. It sounds exhausting! The best way to finish is to just pump off the fullness whenever they feel full and in a couple of days they'll stop filling so you won't have to worry about engorgement.

You did amazing for keeping it up as long as you did. :)

If anyone wants a FB friend, PM me and I'll link you to my profile.

nikpmup i know how u feel with the pumping, been goin at it since zosia was born and its so exhausting and hard to find time for, i dont do nights anymore and its getting hard to fit it in daytime routine too so my supply started going down ( but it has never been great and i had to combine feed from beginning), i think i will just try to do it until my milk disappears on its own which seems like its going to b soon...
    on the brighter side glad we all have our lil babies now :) however i dont think i will be joining u girls for round 2 hehe i think one will do it for me :)

• Advertisement

Congrats doctor boo:-)
    All the girls waited it out to make their arrival ;-)
    I didnt tink I would but im missing my bump. I wont be rushing back to have number two,i still cant walk right after number one but I do miss the bump,after weeks of wishing I could see my feet again!

Advertisement