Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

nikpmup wrote: »
    I think I might be done expressing.

You've given him a great start and your energy is more important at this stage. I expressed my first two ounces yesterday and it is a pain in the hole so well done keeping it up for six weeks. I'd say exclusive expressing is much harder than feeding from the breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

livinsane wrote: »
    You've given him a great start and your energy is more important at this stage. I expressed my first two ounces yesterday and it is a pain in the hole so well done keeping it up for six weeks. I'd say exclusive expressing is much harder than feeding from the breast.

Tbh, I didn't even mind the extra work, it's just impossible to fit in enough pumping sessions to keep my supply up with a demanding baba and all that entails!
    Also, I've just given him a bottle of expressed milk at 10pm, and he's had reflux and pain since - could he be reacting to something in my diet? I've read that reflux can be triggered by breastmilk if mums diet contains dairy, chocolate, spicy food, onions, all sorts of things. Last night he had formula at 10pm and he had no problems. Could be coincidence, but it'll be interesting to see if it happens tomorrow (mental note - get bottles done earlier so they're cool enough for him to drink! :P)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Run the bottle under the cold tap. :)

Yeah, my first was a bit of a spew merchant on the expressed milk but had no problems with formula. He was fine with it straight from the breast too.

Rory is tearing into the bottles today and hasnt slept much. It must be the growth spurt as he's busting out of his babygro! Time to wheel our the 0-3 month stuff. :)

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Run the bottle under the cold tap. :)

I had it under a hose, but it still wasn't quick enough :)

He hasn't settled at all since that bottle at 10.30, he keeps falling asleep in our arms but as soon as we try to put him in the Moses basket he wakes and starts to squeal. He's doing a lot of gagging & swallowing. He doesn't vomit very much, more the silent reflux type of stuff, gagging & swallowing, arching his back & crying, poor little lad. Hope he falls into a proper sleep soon or I'll be sleeping sitting up on the sofa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I am shattered!!
    This being a mammy is much harder work than my actual job.

She is settling better now but when shes down im cleaning and making dinners and by the time im done shes back up.

Asking santa to bring me eight hours sleep;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I am shattered!!
    This being a mammy is much harder work than my actual job.

She is settling better now but when shes down im cleaning and making dinners and by the time im done shes back up.

Asking santa to bring me eight hours sleep;-)

I know the feeling, i cant sleep if theres dishes in the sink, washing to be done or bottles to be sterilised.... I had a migraine last night, that wasnt fun!

It gets easier though, right?

I know the feeling, i cant sleep if theres dishes in the sink, washing to be done or bottles to be sterilised.... I had a migraine last night, that wasnt fun!

It gets easier though, right?

I think you just get more used to it! I had scrambled eggs for brains the first four weeks! The fog is *starting* to lift now, and I'm finding that I'm getting more organised; at first I was all over the place.

It must get easier or people wouldn't keep doing it :)

Ha true people wouldnt keep doing it if it didnt get easier,im clinging to that thought;-)
    I havent been brave enuf to take her out and break in the new travel system yet,tinking bout going for a walk to break up the day,im afraid tho is she too small to be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

I had it under a hose, but it still wasn't quick enough :)

He hasn't settled at all since that bottle at 10.30, he keeps falling asleep in our arms but as soon as we try to put him in the Moses basket he wakes and starts to squeal. He's doing a lot of gagging & swallowing. He doesn't vomit very much, more the silent reflux type of stuff, gagging & swallowing, arching his back & crying, poor little lad. Hope he falls into a proper sleep soon or I'll be sleeping sitting up on the sofa!

Popping in from December thread, I have a 16 month old and one thing i found handy when giving feeding her was having her lie on a pillow in my arms, then when she was finished her bottle, I would place her pillow and all into pram or Moses basket, that way she didn't notice the disruption from arm to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

is she too small to be out?

Not at all. I had my lo out at 3 days old, you need that break to keep your sanity in check! Even a 15 minute walk will do you both wonders! Just make sure you're both wrapped up well :-)

• Advertisement

Definitely not too small to be out and about. In fact it helps them sleep better at night when they get fresh air in the daytime.

My poor little guy has a cold (as does the whole family). James didn't get sick at all until he started crèche at 9 months, so this is new territory. The poor wee lad. I've given him calpol two nights running now. He can barely sleep or feed.

Definitely not too small to be out and about. In fact it helps them sleep better at night when they get fresh air in the daytime.

My poor little guy has a cold (as does the whole family). James didn't get sick at all until he started crèche at 9 months, so this is new territory. The poor wee lad. I've given him calpol two nights running now. He can barely sleep or feed.

Poor little man :( hope he gets better soon, colds are miserable.

I think my lad has hit the six week growth spurt a few days early - he's draining 5oz bottles whereas he was only taking 4oz before, and he's just had his 2nd bottle in 2 hours! Guzzler! Ge has his six week check on Friday, I'm dying to know what weight he is, he feels huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Ha true people wouldnt keep doing it if it didnt get easier,im clinging to that thought;-)
    I havent been brave enuf to take her out and break in the new travel system yet,tinking bout going for a walk to break up the day,im afraid tho is she too small to be out?

Oh yeah a full night sleep would be fab! Must get easier but still don't know how people with a few kids survive the first few weeks with newborn and other kiddies to look after!
    My little fella is 4 weeks and I finally feeling abit more confident and trying to get out more. Defo get out there for a walk, it will help you feel sane. It is the thought of going out and getting out the door that is hard part but once out its fine, just go for short walk first and extend each time til you feel more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We got out to the local shopping centre today and did a shop. She was good and even though it was a stressful operation getting all of us out for the first time it was good to clear the head. Will find the first solo trip hard though. Will need lessons on the travel system first!! We only picked it up while I was in hospital so I've yet to play with it properly yet. Husband did find it hard to collapse and get into the car.

I posted a thread on newborn and toddlers but I'll pop my question in here too for the ladies who have been my fountain of knowledge for the last 9 months :P An idiotic question here ladies but bear with me!!
    Am mainly breastfeeding but Olivia gets a bottle feed from my husband during the night. At the moment we are using those one use aptamils similar to the ones in the hospital but obviously don't want to continue that as they are quite wasteful if she only takes a little. They are also expensive but very convenient!! I want to start making up a bottle of ordinary formula before bed and using that for the night feeding but my husband is worried about the time it will take to get from the fridge to room temp. What is the quickest way of getting that to room temp(what she's used to drinking) as my husband is worried about her getting upset and hungry waiting. Nana Roesy said that I could just bring it down to the room after I do the 1ish feed so its there and ready for oh to grab on his way out for the next feed. What do you ladies do?

The in-laws have volunteered to take herself for an hour or two in the afternoon tomorrow. It's very good of them but I'm nervous about it..

20 seconds in the microwave and shake like bijaysus so there are no hot pockets.

That's what I do.

20 seconds in the microwave and shake like bijaysus so there are no hot pockets.

That's what I do.

Me too - at 4am when he's screeching it feels like 20secs too long! I only use the half power setting as well.

Roesy wrote: »
    The in-laws have volunteered to take for an hour or two in the afternoon tomorrow. It's very good of them but I'm nervous about it..

My cousin has offered to take him for a few hours so me & himself can go see gravity, I dunno.... Very nervous!!!

Going to the hairdressers today to get my roots done AT LAST! I was overdue getting them done before I had him, I was trying to hold off until about two weeks before my due date so I'd get longer out of it but of course his early arrival put paid to that idea. So now I'm WELL WELL overdue! Roots are about two inches long!I can't wait to have decent hair again. I've just realised that of all the hundreds of photos I've taken of my little man, there's none with me & him; I've been avoiding the camera cos I look so shocking! Must correct that! *books photo shoot* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Going to the hairdressers today to get my roots done AT LAST! I was overdue getting them done before I had him, I was trying to hold off until about two weeks before my due date so I'd get longer out of it but of course his early arrival put paid to that idea. So now I'm WELL WELL overdue! Roots are about two inches long!I can't wait to have decent hair again. I've just realised that of all the hundreds of photos I've taken of my little man, there's none with me & him; I've been avoiding the camera cos I look so shocking! Must correct that! *books photo shoot* ;)
    I am the same with the hair and the photos, but going to get my roots done on saturday so finally i will be able to be featured in the snapshots :) am a bit stressed leaving zosia for almost half a day with her daddy and grandma as we still havent parted for longer than half hour since she was born! i will be calling to check on her like a dozen times when im in the hairdressers :P

hanna.v wrote: »
    I am the same with the hair and the photos, but going to get my roots done on saturday so finally i will be able to be featured in the snapshots :) am a bit stressed leaving zosia for almost half a day with her daddy and grandma as we still havent parted for longer than half hour since she was born! i will be calling to check on her like a dozen times when im in the hairdressers :P

It's hard to do, I'm currently covered in meche papers and installed under a heater, and I must've texted himself ten times already :) Jnr is perfectly happy, fast asleep while daddy has a coffee (sure why wouldn't he be after being awake from 10pm-2am, and again from 5am-8am!) But it does feel good to get an hour to yourself as well.

• Advertisement

My in-laws took care of herself while my husband went to bed and I went to town for lunch. I cried for about 5 mins in the car before leaving!! I wanted to put my head on the table and sleep for the first while of lunch but enjoyed it after. My companions were going mad that I hadn't brought her with me. All in all a successful first trip out even if my boobs felt like rocks from skipping the afternoon feed.

Me & Hugo had our six week check up today. He weighs 9lb 14oz - he's put on 3lb 1oz since birth!! That's some good eating right there! And I've only been formula feeding for a few days so most of that gain was on breastmilk.

So, I've been cleared to drive, exercise and have sex - which of the three should I do first?! :P

We ventured out yesterday too,in the car! Very proud got the seat in and out and even ventured into a shop.
    Felt so good to get out,herself got plenty compliments from randomers in town

We ventured out yesterday too,in the car! Very proud got the seat in and out and even ventured into a shop.
    Felt so good to get out,herself got plenty compliments from randomers in town

The first time I went out was to superquinn for a coffee with my sister. I noticed a bonkers aul wan (y'know the sort! :p) sitting across from me. She came over after she finished with her arms out, saying, "ah I just have to have a cuddle!" No you bleedin well don't!!! She was politely 'misunderstood' and I held onto him!!

The first time I went out was to superquinn for a coffee with my sister. I noticed a bonkers aul wan (y'know the sort! :p) sitting across from me. She came over after she finished with her arms out, saying, "ah I just have to have a cuddle!" No you bleedin well don't!!! She was politely 'misunderstood' and I held onto him!!

Oh no strangers came into our personal space to that extent thank god!! How odd!

Oh no strangers came into our personal space to that extent thank god!! How odd!

Ah she was as batty as they come bless her. She still wasn't getting near him!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

It's hard to do, I'm currently covered in meche papers and installed under a heater, and I must've texted himself ten times already :) Jnr is perfectly happy, fast asleep while daddy has a coffee (sure why wouldn't he be after being awake from 10pm-2am, and again from 5am-8am!) But it does feel good to get an hour to yourself as well.

Oh I'm so the same, roots are horrendous and just saw a pic my parents took of me with baby yesterday and I look so awful. Dying to get the hair done for a boost but just don't have the little fella in any sort of routine with feeding I don't know how I would get the few hours away. Still solely breastfeeding but planning on expressing and maybe even introduce formula just nervous about him getting more wind on the bottle as he is bad enough with wind as it is! Anyone who does express or combines formula with breastfeeding, any tips on introducing a bottle? Would be great to have a break for a few hours and know he is still getting well fed without me!

knock13 wrote: »
    Oh I'm so the same, roots are horrendous and just saw a pic my parents took of me with baby yesterday and I look so awful. Dying to get the hair done for a boost but just don't have the little fella in any sort of routine with feeding I don't know how I would get the few hours away. Still solely breastfeeding but planning on expressing and maybe even introduce formula just nervous about him getting more wind on the bottle as he is bad enough with wind as it is! Anyone who does express or combines formula with breastfeeding, any tips on introducing a bottle? Would be great to have a break for a few hours and know he is still getting well fed without me!

Mine was on the bottle from the get go, but I did find his wind improved greatly with the Doctor Browns bottles - they're pricey and fiddly, they've got about 6 pieces per bottle, but they do improve wind! Also, I've started to give him infacol before each feed, it really helps bring up the burps! Big massive man burps! I wind him at least twice in each feed for at least 10 mins, and I keep him upright for a while after each feed as well.

Was contemplating the infacol nikpmup. It's suitable for newborns so? Olivia is very hard to wind. We have the Dr browns bottles too. At the moment she only gets one a day so it's hard to tell whether they make much of a difference for herself. There are loads of parts alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Mine was on the bottle from the get go, but I did find his wind improved greatly with the Doctor Browns bottles - they're pricey and fiddly, they've got about 6 pieces per bottle, but they do improve wind! Also, I've started to give him infacol before each feed, it really helps bring up the burps! Big massive man burps! I wind him at least twice in each feed for at least 10 mins, and I keep him upright for a while after each feed as well.
    we are the same dr brown and the infacol before feeds .we changed from sma to Aptamil comfort and theres a big improvement.he still roars for an hour every few day.its usually in the evening time

Advertisement