Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My GP said that my lad could be suffering because (a) he was early and his gut wasn't developed and (b) he had intravenous antibiotics at birth, as did I, and I had two courses of oral antibiotics, all of which entered my breastmilk - this might have been enough to upset the bacteria in his gut. He's improved a lot in the last week or so. I'm thinking of changing from SMA, I'll give him another wee while and see how he gets on.
    Roesy, as far as I know the infacol is okay from birth - my doc ok'd it for Hugo last week. It does help with getting up the burps. She also said that after 4 to 6 weeks the digestive system starts to mature so they cope better with wind, hopefully it'll be the same for Olivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

i see we are all battling similar problems and use same solutions :) dr brown and infacol are a must with zosia and now burping her is not a problem but she still suffers from bad constipation and had to use a suppository on saturday to get her going (worked within minutes!) but since than again no poop so dunno what to do, im afraid to use suppositories coz thay can make her bum muscles lazy and make her laxative dependant(so i read) just not sure how many times would i have to use them to cause that...dunno what to do...she seems to be in so much discomfort!

hanna.v wrote: »
    i see we are all battling similar problems and use same solutions :) dr brown and infacol are a must with zosia and now burping her is not a problem but she still suffers from bad constipation and had to use a suppository on saturday to get her going (worked within minutes!) but since than again no poop so dunno what to do, im afraid to use suppositories coz thay can make her bum muscles lazy and make her laxative dependant(so i read) just not sure how many times would i have to use them to cause that...dunno what to do...she seems to be in so much discomfort!

I gave Hugo a few ounces of cooled boiled water between feeds, worked within the day - he filled about five nappies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Baby seems to have a cold:-(
    Im panicking big time,shes only four wks,going to the doctor tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Baby seems to have a cold:-(
    Im panicking big time,shes only four wks,going to the doctor tomorrow.

Don't panic. Rory's nearly over his. Stock up in saline nose drops and an aspirator for nose clearing. Keep an eye on her temperature.

Go to the pharmacist first for advice rather than paying out for the GP.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Don't panic. Rory's nearly over his. Stock up in saline nose drops and an aspirator for nose clearing. Keep an eye on her temperature.

Thanks das kitty.
    I didnt think she would get a cough or cold so early,its upsetting seeing them upset and not theirself

Thanks das kitty.
    I didnt think she would get a cough or cold so early,its upsetting seeing them upset and not theirself

Thanks das kitty.

I know. My first didn't catch cold til he was 8 months so I was worried when Rory got it, but he's been okay. Lots of snuffling, struggling with feeding and sleeping, but he's grand besides.

The pharmacist will tell you what to watch out for and when to bring her to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

It must be hard to see them sick when they are so small.

Weird to think that this time 2 weeks ago I was just about to give birth to my little bould article! It seems like she's been here forever.

I had a glass and a half of wine at an elderly relatives birthday yesterday evening and was too paranoid to breastfeed again until this morning even though I was home for 9PM and pumped and threw out milk around 10.15.

There's no need to pump and dump Roesy. The alcohol goes out if your breastmilk at the same rate as it goes out if your blood. As a general rule if you feel sober you're fine to breastfeed. It must have broken your heart to see it go down the sink.

If I wasn't on the phone I'd find you the think I went by when I was feeding James. I remember that you only had to wait til the morning if you threw up from drink or passed out! Even then you didn't have to pump and dump.

• Advertisement

There's no need to pump and dump Roesy. The alcohol goes out if your breastmilk at the same rate as it goes out if your blood. As a general rule if you feel sober you're fine to breastfeed. It must have broken your heart to see it go down the sink.

If I wasn't on the phone I'd find you the think I went by when I was feeding James. I remember that you only had to wait til the morning if you threw up from drink or passed out! Me end then you didn't have to pump and dump.

I was gutted chucking it! Think I was definitely being overly careful. It was my first drink in 40 odd weeks and the uncertainty about when I would be good to feed herself again definitely took the shine off it!! She had 2 bottles so on the plus side I did get to sleep from 12 until nearly uninterrupted. Poor daddy got the full night shift. Allergic to the idea of oh going back to work next week :(

Roesy wrote: »
    It must be hard to see them sick when they are so small.

Weird to think that this time 2 weeks ago I was just about to give birth to my little bould article! It seems like she's been here forever.

I had a glass and a half of wine at an elderly relatives birthday yesterday evening and was too paranoid to breastfeed again until this morning even though I was home for 9PM and pumped and threw out milk around 10.15.

I'm sure I read somewhere about caffiene that it peaks in breastmilk around 90 mins after you ingest it, alcohol is similar I'd imagine.

My lad projectile vomited on us in the bed at 4.30 this morning - he did the same yesterday, after a quick google I now have myself convinced the has pyloric stenosis and will need stomach surgery :-/

Stay away from google!

I have a friend whose little girl had very bad reflux. Every feed was thrown up and she was struggling to gain weight. All the way up to weaning and she puked regularly til she was 2. Even she didn't have pyloric stenosis.

Sometimes the force of burps can get a projectile incident started. James did it once a day. Rory has been doing it all this week with his cold.

Ah, I don't reeealy think he has PS, but when you're stripping duvet covers at 5am the mind does wander :D Thank god we bought a tumble dryer last week, I've 3 king size bed sets to get washed & dried today! He does seem a little off, he went up to 6oz bottles last week and was guzzling them, maybe the growth spurt is over and 6oz is too much for him? It does look like a huge volume of fluid for such a little body!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Ah, I don't reeealy think he has PS, but when you're stripping duvet covers at 5am the mind does wander :D Thank god we bought a tumble dryer last week, I've 3 king size bed sets to get washed & dried today! He does seem a little off, he went up to 6oz bottles last week and was guzzling them, maybe the growth spurt is over and 6oz is too much for him? It does look like a huge volume of fluid for such a little body!

Tumble driers rock!

:)

Tumble driers rock!

:)

Yes they do, I've been telling him that for months but he wouldn't listen :D He never had one before - he's less impressed than I thought he would be by the miracle of clothes not needing to be ironed if you get them out of the dryer when they're still warm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I've never seen so much poo in my life. Id be lost without my dryer. My little lady has gone through 90 nappies in 10 days. Anytime she even looks at my boob she does a poo haha

nikpmup wrote: »
    Yes they do, I've been telling him that for months but he wouldn't listen :D He never had one before - he's less impressed than I thought he would be by the miracle of clothes not needing to be ironed if you get them out of the dryer when they're still warm :P

I couldn't last without a dryer. I'm incapable of ironing something without making it look more wrinkled!

Madisson wrote: »
    I've never seen so much poo in my life. Id be lost without my dryer. My little lady has gone through 90 nappies in 10 days. Anytime she even looks at my boob she does a poo haha

Same as that!!!

I read somewhere that breastfed babies don't poop as much because the breastmilk is absorbed better than formula - pish! The breastmilk poos would explode out of Hugo; all up his back! Mind you, although the formula poos are more 'contained' you could Tarmac roads with the stuff!

Oh look. I've turned into one of those mothers who discusses their child's poo at length :D

• Advertisement

and i became one of those mums that are jealous of other babies poos and cheer when mine does occasionally make one (u should see me seriously..jumping and cheering zosia to keep going )

Oh how I laughed when Olivia pooed on her fathers hand during a change last week. The joke was on me yesterday when she sprayed my hand with poo too when she started to wee during a change with no nappy underneath and her daddy picked her up to stop her getting her babygro wet and I reached down to put some kitchen roll on the wet patch. Saying that she hasn't pooed at all today which is unusual for her.

Is it possible to over feed them? She fed about 2 hours ago and then less than an hour later seemed to be mad looking for grub again so I put her back on again and she fed for another 30 or more minutes. I feel like a milking parlour at the moment. Oh, she's mad sucking her fingers lately too. The phn told me to give her a soother but 9 times out of 10 she spits it out.

hanna.v wrote: »
    and i became one of those mums that are jealous of other babies poos and cheer when mine does occasionally make one (u should see me seriously..jumping and cheering zosia to keep going )

Did you try the cooled boiled water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh how I laughed when Olivia pooed on her fathers hand during a change last week. The joke was on me yesterday when she sprayed my hand with poo too when she started to wee during a change with no nappy underneath and her daddy picked her up to stop her getting her babygro wet and I reached down to put some kitchen roll on the wet patch. Saying that she hasn't pooed at all today which is unusual for her.

Is it possible to over feed them? She fed about 2 hours ago and then less than an hour later seemed to be mad looking for grub again so I put her back on again and she fed for another 30 or more minutes. I feel like a milking parlour at the moment. Oh, she's mad sucking her fingers lately too. The phn told me to give her a soother but 9 times out of 10 she spits it out.

Not unusual for babies to feed like that, they're just getting supply going.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

I am feeling the same, like a dairy cow! He seems to be feeding every hour sometimes and each time I think he must be full and finished he is just taking a little break and is chewing my arm for food again! I am wondering about whether I'm over feeding him too and was trying to make him wait by distracting him for a few mins but when you have a crying baby you just pop them back on the boob and they are happy! Feel I can't go anywhere as don't know when he will be screaming for food again! I need to get him into some sort of routine for my sanity but just don't know how to start!
    Rosey I did try a soother too and I have to hold it in, it does seem to distract him from wanting boobie but not for too long!

Are your babies doin anything other than eating and sleeping?
    Im wundering am I meant to entertain her during the day or feed and get her down. She wont sit on your lap awake,basikaly if shes up shes crying or eating

i was also wondering what can i do with her when shes not sleeping...if lil missus is awake shes mostly crying or just looking around the room with her gorgiz big eyes :) that does not last too long before she gets bored and starts crying again :P for entertainment i put her in her crib and put the music mobile on and she watches the lil toys above her going round and round, this keeps her busy for no more than 5 min though.

Are your babies doin anything other than eating and sleeping?
    Im wundering am I meant to entertain her during the day or feed and get her down. She wont sit on your lap awake,basikaly if shes up shes crying or eating

My lad is starting to look around a bit, I had him in dundrum the other evening, and he entertained himself for a while looking at the lights. He does tend to want to be entertained in the middle of the night though :-/ He's been asleep most of the day so I'm going to get him up and try to keep him up for a few hours in the vain hope that he might sleep tonight!

My phn told me to put him on his stomach for ten or fifteen minutes a day to strengthen his neck, but he goes doolally, he hates it. When he's on my chest he lifts up his head so I reckon that achieves the same thing. She told me to show him black & white patterns and primary colours. I do talk to him and try to hold his attention, and I wave toys at him but he doesn't seem too interested! I can't wait until he starts interacting properly, at the moment I swear he looks with us with barely veiled disdain lol! The only exception to this is when I put him down at night - in my innocence I have a bedtime "routine" (no idea if it makes any difference at his age!) I bring him up to the bedroom at 8/9pm after his bottle, I put the lights low and put on the same piece of music (Chopin's nocturne, I'm hoping he will associate it with sleepy time) I give him his soother and cradle him. He stares up at me and sucks away on his dodie, I talk to him in very hushed soothing tones, and it's the only time I feel he's making a connection to me. He will generally fall asleep in my arms and I'll put him in the Moses basket.

I can't wait until he starts to smile and coo, at the moment it feels like a very long time before we get any feedback!

Getting my period.

I don't know why, but I'm a little upset by it. I guess since February my body has had a job to do, and now I'm just back to being an ordinary person - makes no sense, I know. For all the whinging I did during my pregnancy, I loved it - not the actual pregnancy, but the fact that I was, iykwim. It barely makes sense to me lol!

• Advertisement

Good news - my oh was offered a job today.
    Bad news - he starts Monday!

I know I have been very lucky with having him around 24/7 for the first 8 weeks, but I'm going to find it tough on my own :( We'll miss him!

Advertisement