Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

In Cork they seem to get the Bcg before they leave the hospital. Olivia had hers at one day old. She was as good as gold for it. Think it helped she was so young.

As for the feeding, think I'm going to try smaller amounts more often. After the crap day we had with the reflux I'm willing to try anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Got an app for bcg,dreading her getting upset by it.
    Have you guys all had yours,was it bad?

Nope. Kids don't get it til they're 12 in Galway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Had it last week and it was grand. She was asleep. Woke up and cried for 30 seconds and then fell back asleep again haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Yeah, Hugo cried for exactly 3 seconds then fell back asleep! And he's a grumpy little fart at the best of times :)

He slept from 11.30 to 7.15. I woke up before him. Can't believe my luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

Nikpmup how are you managing to get your little one to sleep through???!!!

This is my first post, I've been following this forum all through my pregnancy, my little man was born on the 29th oct, 6 weeks today already!

I just had to ask you how you managed to eliminate the middle of the night feed? My man is on 6 5oz feeds, downing the 7am, 10.30am and 2.00pm feeds but then I struggle to get even 3 or 4ozs into him at 6.30pm and 10.30pm, so he wakes at 3am every night,on the button, and downs 5 ozs! How do I get him to take more at the late feed? have tried split feeds but still he only takes couple of ounzes. Even if we got him from 11pm to 5/6am that would be great. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Wooha wrote: »
    I need more sleep. I thought you meant a phone app or something for bcg and thought, mmhh, maybe it has tipps and info and maybe special music...
    I was just clicking into the play store on my phone when I realised you probably meant appointment :-)

Got appointment is next week, heard that breastfeeding while he gets the injection is supposed to help.

Need even more sleep.. he already had the bcg... I was thinking about the 8 week vaccinations.

ashcon wrote: »
    Nikpmup how are you managing to get your little one to sleep through???!!!

This is my first post, I've been following this forum all through my pregnancy, my little man was born on the 29th oct, 6 weeks today already!

I just had to ask you how you managed to eliminate the middle of the night feed? My man is on 6 5oz feeds, downing the 7am, 10.30am and 2.00pm feeds but then I struggle to get even 3 or 4ozs into him at 6.30pm and 10.30pm, so he wakes at 3am every night,on the button, and downs 5 ozs! How do I get him to take more at the late feed? have tried split feeds but still he only takes couple of ounzes. Even if we got him from 11pm to 5/6am that would be great. Help!

I'm not, he decides on a night to night basis when he'll sleep, when he'll feed etc! Last night (Sunday into Monday) he hollered until 2am, then it was like someone took out the batteries, he conked until 8am. He'd had a feed at 11pm then again at 01.30. Last night, he had a bottle at 8pm, then 11.30, then he just didn't wake up! I'm hoping he follows the same pattern today..... I'd love to say it was careful planning on my part, but it's very haphazard still! I'd love him to settle into a pattern of sleep that resembled normal!

I will say though that he seems to sleep for longer stretches now, but when he was six weeks he wouldn't go all night - maybe five hours, but that would be it. He's going to be ten weeks on Friday and the extra few weeks has made a difference. He's also taking bigger bottles, he'll easily drain a 6oz bottle, so that keeps him going for longer.

He's conked on the couch beside me here. Yesterday, he seemed to be asleep for way too long, but in hindsight most of his sleep was in the early part of the day. He was awake from about 10.30 am until about 1pm, then asleep till 4.30, then awake pretty much till 10pm, with catnaps. That obviously worked for him so I'll *try* to replicate that today :) It is up to him though - he rules this house with a chubby iron fist!

Oh, and welcome to the thread fellow October mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Ha sory nikpmup I was on the phone writing so went into txt talk mode. Yea all the babys around me got it in hospital but not the bubs in special care so we missed out.
    We had an 11.30 to 7.45 sleep last nite too,all three of us slept it was great all in the one room for a change

I'm raging that I woke up before he did - the pain in my back & shoulders woke me. I'm gonna have to get this sorted, it's bloody killing me.

His nibs can smell my coffee. Just as I sit down with a fresh steaming cup he starts to wake :)

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm raging that I woke up before he did - the pain in my back & shoulders woke me. I'm gonna have to get this sorted, it's bloody killing me.

His nibs can smell my coffee. Just as I sit down with a fresh steaming cup he starts to wake :)

Olivia is like that when we sit down to dinner. It's like she smells it!
    Physio has made a big difference with my back. Ribs still a bit of an issue but much improved.

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »
    Olivia is like that when we sit down to dinner. It's like she smells it!
    Physio has made a big difference with my back. Ribs still a bit of an issue but much improved.

I've had indigestion for 2 months now - guaranteed as soon as we try to eat, he starts up, so we have to wolf it down. It's got to the stage where we don't even dish up 2 plates, we'll feed whichever one of us is hungriest first, while the other looks after baba, then we'll swap. I've always been a really slow eater, I'm finding it difficult to just wolf it down.

You'd think it would be a great way to lose the baby weight, wouldn't you?!!

Thanks nikpmup, of course I realise now that your little one is nearly a month older than mine! that's a big difference in baby terms! :) Totally with you on the wolfing down meals, my hubbie and I were only laughing about this the other day!

No such luck losing the baby weight though, will we ever get back to normal? I signed up for 9 months of pregnancy...no-one warned me about the 4 weeks afterwards! And silly old me thought I'd slot straight back into my pre-preggers clothes - not a fear of that happening any time soon :(

ashcon wrote: »
    Thanks nikpmup, of course I realise now that your little one is nearly a month older than mine! that's a big difference in baby terms! :) Totally with you on the wolfing down meals, my hubbie and I were only laughing about this the other day!

No such luck losing the baby weight though, will we ever get back to normal? I signed up for 9 months of pregnancy...no-one warned me about the 4 weeks afterwards! And silly old me thought I'd slot straight back into my pre-preggers clothes - not a fear of that happening any time soon :(

My baby is 6 weeks tomorrow and im keeping her awake from 6 untill 12 and she normally sleeps untill 6. Im bf though so I usually cluster feed from about 10. I also notice she doesn't sleep.as.well the days I dont go for a walk with her.

Does anyone know how I would get her to take a soother. She refuses it and I know its better in the long run but sometimes ya just feckin need it. Especially during this growth spurt my boob has been out all day.

Madisson wrote: »
    My baby is 6 weeks tomorrow and im keeping her awake from 6 untill 12 and she normally sleeps untill 6. Im bf though so I usually cluster feed from about 10. I also notice she doesn't sleep.as.well the days I dont go for a walk with her.

Does anyone know how I would get her to take a soother. She refuses it and I know its better in the long run but sometimes ya just feckin need it. Especially during this growth spurt my boob has been out all day.

I just shove it in and hold it in till he starts sucking! If you're breastfeeding she may not want it though.

soothers are great but I swear my man spits it out and cries just to make sure I'm still there beside him! Try taping your finger under her chin as you jiggle d soother slowly in her mouth, it should start d sucking!

Olivia isn't too bothered with the soother. Sometimes she'll take it for a couple of mins but a lot of the time she acts like you're putting pure poison in her mouth.

I think I got the majority of Rory's cradle cap off tonight after his bath. Anyone else have much of a buildup?

As for the dummy, he's had it since the hospital but still only wants it sometimes. I stroke his jawline while holding it and he'll start sucking. I dunno if it's a natural thing he does or if I trained him!

Ive tried the one that came with the avent bottled and the.closer to nature ones but she either gags, cries louder or takes it for a second and spits it out. There are so many kind of ones just wondering if one is better than another. Might try that cherry one next. The other night I had her on my arms and she started trying to suck my chin..but wont take a soother.. disaster haha

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think I got the majority of Rory's cradle cap off tonight after his bath. Anyone else have much of a buildup?

As for the dummy, he's had it since the hospital but still only wants it sometimes. I stroke his jawline while holding it and he'll start sucking. I dunno if it's a natural thing he does or if I trained him!

I do that too, hold the soother with one finger and stroke his chin & cheek with another! He starts to suck eventually!

He's had a good bit of cradle cap, I got dentinox shampoo yesterday and I've been putting almond oil on his scalp to keep it moisturised. I kind of massage it with a baby brush to get the flakes off. Hopefully the dentinox will help. It's yucky looking.

I do that too, hold the soother with one finger and stroke his chin & cheek with another! He starts to suck eventually!

He's had a good bit of cradle cap, I got dentinox shampoo yesterday and I've been putting almond oil on his scalp to keep it moisturised. I kind of massage it with a baby brush to get the flakes off. Hopefully the dentinox will help. It's yucky looking.

Rory only had a little. I just put loads of almond oil on after his bath and then made circular rubs with a muslin cloth. I was a bit bold too and scraped some of it with my nail. I was gentle enough to so as not to make it red. His head smells all lovely now after the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

I hear ya with needing the soother, I had to try it a few weeks ago as I felt like a dairy cow with him constantly sucking! If you have a sucky baby it might be the only respite you will get! I realised I was being used as a soother for him to fall asleep so I just had to hold the soother in! I did feel kinda guilty as I had to stick it in his mouth n he didn't really like it at first but it did work a few times to settle him. I did have to sit beside the cot holding it in for 10 mins!

Can I ask how do you manage to keep your baby awake? If my little fella is going for a nap after a feed, even when I don't want him to I find it very heard to keep him awake!

Question for you ladies, what if any shampoo do you use on your baby? I have just been washing him with warm water n not used any products so far as a lot of people told me to avoid for first few weeks but reckon I should start using something now.

My fella hasn't really got any hair :) So I haven't really been using anything up till now, I bought dentinox to clear his cradle cap. I have been using Johnson's top to toe wash but I'm not a fan, it doesn't smell nice and seems to be quite drying. I'd like to get something a bit gentler and more moisturising. I put a little almond oil in his bath as well.

As for keeping him awake, take his clothes off! Works a treat. I lie him on my bed and lie beside him and have a little chat, I keep the lights bright and the volume up until it's sleepy time, then it's pjs and clean nappy, lights down, volume down, nice bottle and interaction to a minimum, just soothing tones.*

*may not be effective due to practitioners inexperience!

I got the Simple baby wash. I still have some Johnson's left over from my other fella when he was a baby. I didn't like it at all, I found it very harsh.

Do you find the Simple good? I'd like to get something that is gentle, his skin seems very dry

Do you find the Simple good? I'd like to get something that is gentle, his skin seems very dry

Oh yeah, it's lovely. I'd recommend it a 1000 times above Johnsons.

I've tried Johnsons and simple and both I think are harsh on her skin but she does have milia so I cant really tell. I've been just putting silcocks base on the sponge and washing her with that because it lathers up a bit.

as for staying awake I sing, dance, undress her, do whatever I habe to do haha then bath ar 10 and cluster feed and at half 11 lights go out and shes asleep soon after. As soon as she starts going past the 6 mark regularly ill bring the time at night back so shes in bed earlier. Im just having flooky long sleeps at the moment.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oh yeah, it's lovely. I'd recommend it a 1000 times above Johnsons.

I must pick some out next time I'm out :)

See now, here he is tonight looking for a bottle at 3.30am. I shoulda given him a dream feed at midnight, I knew he was asleep too early :)

......aaaaand he's just gone and vomited the lot back up and is sitting here wide awake looking at the lights. Not cool, Hugo. Not cool.

• Advertisement

Midwife in the antenatal class and in the hospital told us to avoid Johnson's products as they were too harsh. We were told not to use any products in the water for the first couple of weeks. I was given a chamomile natural anti allergenic baby wash as part of a present and have been using that recently. Haven't really been using shampoo yet. She's pretty bald on top but she has a bit on the back of her head. Might start using shampoo on that I suppose. No cradle cap so far. Is it something that develops after awhile?

Husband is off today so he put Olivia to bed at 11.30. I went to bed around 10. She didn't wake until 7 so he got a decent sleep too. He got up with herself and I stayed in bed until 9. I feel like a new woman. I was exhausted yesterday after her horrible day the day before. It looked like I had the remains of a black eye under my eyes looked so dark.

It's our work Christmas party on Friday night. I tried on my 'party dresses'. All fit but my belly looks quite jellyish in them :( don't really feel that good in them and not sure I'll have time to go shopping before Friday.

Advertisement