Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

hey just wondering, I know for our 6 week dr check up we didn't have to pay. Is that the only free check up we get or should the 8 week one be free also, even though we are a couple of weeks late for it?
    Also are the immunisations still free or charged as a dr visit?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The combined care free visits end at 6 weeks. Don't think there's an 8 week check...

The immunizations are 100% free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Little legend went down at 8.30pm and slept until just before 8am. Helloooo sleep, I've missed ya!

Turns out the eight wk check the dr was speaking about was for jabs and phn. I had it wrong in my head.
    Dr said shes fine could just be a growth spurt altering the mood and feed.phn is going to send us an appointment date.glad I went anyway.
    Booked jab for friday next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    Little legend went down at 8.30pm and slept until just before 8am. Helloooo sleep, I've missed ya!

Jealous! Saying that I can't complain about last night. Got 11.30-8am. She was like a briar all evening before she went down though. She did 12-7 the night before but roared for a lot of the night before bed again though. She went back again at about 9.15 this morning and slept until nearly 12. She's tired now and getting cranky because of it. Did have 2 hours of utter charm and delightfulness before I suppose.

• Advertisement

It was pure fluke, I think - I gave him an extra feed during the day as he was hollering for it, so he didn't stay awake for his 9pm bottle. He just looked tired (and I was going out to the cinema!) so I just chanced putting him down. I'm trying to replicate yesterday exactly - an early nap seems to be the key! I'm gonna try again tonight. Mr Nikpmup has the bug I had last week and is feeling lousy so an early night is called for :)

Baba had a much better day today. She took good naps and is in bed since about 10.15. Lets hope she stays put. I was sorting through her clothes earlier. She has a far more extensive wardrobe than me. Was a little broody bagging up the stuff she's outgrown. I have one full bag of things that are too small and a bag of things for keeping that have sentimental value or are in good condition. There were a good few things she only wore once. My husband was worse than me. He probably would have kept it all, right down to her little vests :) He said we should keep them for no. 2!!!
    My sinuses aren't great and I was just about to grumble about only to be able to take paracetamol. Sinutab for the win :D

Aw, I'm the same - packed up the Moses basket and all the little cellular blankets. Big boy is in a cot and grobag now :) And as per usual, our babies have synced their sleep cycle Roesy! Almost exactly 10.15! (I was trying to get him down since 8 tho!) I'm going to go through all the clothes that don't fit, the good stuff and the cute stuff is getting packed away, the cheapo penneys stuff I might send to a charity shop (although it's a nice idea to pack it away for #2 ;) )

Aw, I'm the same - packed up the Moses basket and all the little cellular blankets. Big boy is in a cot and grobag now :) And as per usual, our babies have synced their sleep cycle Roesy! Almost exactly 10.15! (I was trying to get him down since 8 tho!) I'm going to go through all the clothes that don't fit, the good stuff and the cute stuff is getting packed away, the cheapo penneys stuff I might send to a charity shop (although it's a nice idea to pack it away for #2 ;) )

Ha! Hopefully they'll stay asleep :) Packed away the good and the cute stuff alright. Funnily enough it was the little Penneys teddy bear vests he was on about keeping because she was so adorable in them! Honestly, the attic would be brimful if he had his way. Did he find the transition to the cot hard? We will have to do it soon. When she stretches out in her basket so has very little room left. She wasn't fond of the grobag at the start. Got a couple of shorter ones that fit in the Moses basket. She loves kicking off blankets so maybe she was annoyed over not being able to do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

It was pure fluke, I think - I gave him an extra feed during the day as he was hollering for it, so he didn't stay awake for his 9pm bottle. He just looked tired (and I was going out to the cinema!) so I just chanced putting him down. I'm trying to replicate yesterday exactly - an early nap seems to be the key! I'm gonna try again tonight. Mr Nikpmup has the bug I had last week and is feeling lousy so an early night is called for :)

So Nikpmump did you manage to replicate that great sleep 2 nights in a row?
    We got 10.30 to 6.30 last night and similar enough the night before. So not too bad but having real struggle with getting him to nap. Was In the room with lights off from 4.30 in the afternoon til 7pm trying to get him to go down as he was knackered tired and I knew he badly needed to sleep. I eventually gave up and he was awake then until he eventually feel asleep at 10.30!

Is it just me or is that far too long for him to go without a nap but just don't know how to get him to nod off, he is fighting them big time. I was tempted to get in the car and drive around so he would sleep but that's a bad habit to get into and I need to get him into routine of going to nap in his cot at home and not just out in pram or car! Agggghhh I suppose I just need to keep trying but it's so hard letting him cry in the cot to see if he wil eventually give into it, which he doesn't!

• Advertisement

Rory's 15 weeks and his sleep pattern is emerging only now. We've started putting him down at 8 with the older lad. This means keeping him awake from 6pm onwards, which can be difficult!

I get him jammied up and in his sleeping bag before his last bottle. He goes down pretty easy then. He's been sleeping to 6.30 this week. It used to be longer but I think he might be having a growth spurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

That's great pattern Das Kitty. Does he nap much for you during the day? Any bedtime rituals you do to get him down?

He sleeps for half hour stints during day but I was told that isn't a proper sleep, he is waking himself up before going into a deep sleep and should be able to fall back to sleep into a longer proper nap but not happening!

My lad is the same, catnaps during the day is all. I'm trying to get him into a pattern of a good early nap (10am-12pm) and then another nap after lunch (2/3pm till 4/5pm) then evening routine is bath about 7pm, I spend ages massaging him with coconut oil and get him into his jammies, bottle about 8pm and then try to get him to sleep. At the moment he has monster long sleeps - when he goes down, that is. It could take a half hour of rocking and shushing him, and I might have to go back up to him 2 or 3 times. He'll sleep ten hours once he goes down - he slept 10pm to 8am this morning. He's having a nap now but it took an hour to get him down, he'll be waking for a bottle soon. Will definitely have to look into sleep training/self soothing techniques, but I don't know if he's too young? Once he gets agitated, he will only fall asleep in my arms, but I know he can fall asleep independently as he's done it before.

I got from 10.15-6.45 and probably would have gotten another half an hour. She was tossing and turning and I thought she had a dirty nappy so I picked her up. She was wet and only had a dirty one after I cleaned, changed and fed her!! She went back to sleep at 7.20-10.45 then. She got up and had an hour and half of being the most charming little monkey in the world. Got tired and went down again about 12.15. She's woke after an hour and is chatting to herself in the basket. I've been attempting to catch her tired and put her down as quickly as possible when I see her fading. It seemed to work in the morning the last couple of days. Doesn't seem to work in the evenings though. She does at least 2 decent naps(2-3 hrs) when she isn't reflux-y.

Ladies, just wondering has this happened to any of you. I'm on day 13 of my cycle having finished my first period since the baby 6 days ago. I seem to be having a bit of a bleed again today, fairly like how my cycle usually starts. Am a bit weepy the last day or two also. Does it take a while for your cycle to regulate? Not looking for medical advice as I will go to the doctor after the weekend if it continues.

Roesy wrote: »
    Ha! Hopefully they'll stay asleep :) Did he find the transition to the cot hard? We will have to do it soon. When she stretches out in her basket so has very little room left. She wasn't fond of the grobag at the start. Got a couple of shorter ones that fit in the Moses basket. She loves kicking off blankets so maybe she was annoyed over not being able to do that anymore.

I put him the grobag before I put him in the cot; he was kicking the blankets off, and I found him a couple of mornings with them kicked up onto his face which frightened the bejesus out of me! He didn't seem to mind the cot, he's certainly sleeping well in it. He has a cot piano thing that he loves to kick so I make sure he knows the cot is a nice fun place :)
    knock13 wrote: »
    So Nikpmump did you manage to replicate that great sleep 2 nights in a row?

10.15pm till 8am, so no too shabby! Hopefully he'll continue like this, it's a nightmare getting him to nap during the day but he certainly makes up for it during the night.

Ladies, just wondering has this happened to any of you. I'm on day 13 of my cycle having finished my first period since the baby 6 days ago. I seem to be having a bit of a bleed again today, fairly like how my cycle usually starts. Am a bit weepy the last day or two also. Does it take a while for your cycle to regulate? Not looking for medical advice as I will go to the doctor after the weekend if it continues.

My first period was a nightmare, went on for ages, and like that, kept stopping & starting. I *should*have been due four or five days ago, actually did a pregnancy test last night just to rule it out :eek: (I'm not!!:p ) I'd say my cycle will be all over the place for a while - this is how Irish twins happen!!

knock13 wrote: »
    That's great pattern Das Kitty. Does he nap much for you during the day? Any bedtime rituals you do to get him down?

He sleeps for half hour stints during day but I was told that isn't a proper sleep, he is waking himself up before going into a deep sleep and should be able to fall back to sleep into a longer proper nap but not happening!

He tends it have 2 half hour naps and one longer one. The times for those still vary. I'm letting him find his own rhythm during the day.

No nighttime rituals outside of what I described. I'm way too lazy for nightly baths or massages. I stay in his room til he's asleep reading my kindle. Just so I'm not running up and down the stairs to pop the dodie in.

My first period was a nightmare, went on for ages, and like that, kept stopping & starting. I *should*have been due four or five days ago, actually did a pregnancy test last night just to rule it out :eek: (I'm not!!:p ) I'd say my cycle will be all over the place for a while - this is how Irish twins happen!!

Some hope of twins here I still struggle to walk,convinced now theres something ary below. Gaen appointment later this week.

The 8-8 honeymoon's over - started trying to put him down at 8 as he was KO'ed.... It took until 9.45, and he was awake at 6, and cranky with it :-/ Growth spurt maybe? He'll be 15 weeks on Friday, corrected age 11weeks...I really wanted a lie on! Stupidly didn't go to bed till 1am. #Zombied

• Advertisement

Some hope of twins here I still struggle to walk,convinced now theres something ary below. Gaen appointment later this week.

We're really not terribly well designed for this pregnancy/childbirth lark, are we? You never see a Labrador for example, gagging on her pedigree chum, moaning about back pain, falling asleep at all hours, or having the puppy blues.... They just drop six pups and get on with it! I hope it's nothing serious groucho, hopefully time and TLC will sort it out. (For the record, the first few times we tried to Do The Deed, it hurt like bejesus and we had to stop, it was well after 8 weeks post birth that it was comfortable, and I had a c section - I thought my bits were safe!! All seems fine now :) )

On a related note, started period #2 today - ow! Whoever told me that periods post childbirth would be lighter and less painful were LYING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

First airplane trip has been a success! Put baba into wrap in the airport and she only woke up in the other end when I had to take her out of the wrap to put her in the car seat! 5h later! Lovely security people in dub airport let me leave her in it in the checkpoint.

Been reading about your horrid period experiences post birth and mine was so much lighter and shorter than it used to be, lucky me I guess :-)

My lad has given us the wondrous gift of sleeping through the night - 12 hours - by three and a half months old.. However, this means that he only has half hour naps during the day, and is like a bag of cats by 5pm most evenings. I don't know which is better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

My lad has given us the wondrous gift of sleeping through the night - 12 hours - by three and a half months old.. However, this means that he only has half hour naps during the day, and is like a bag of cats by 5pm most evenings. I don't know which is better!

I would love the nights sleep :-)

Exact same here nikpmup,im strugling to entertain her all day but love my nights sleep.
    Ladies what sleepsuits/babygrows are you using? I find all of mine are shrinking so easy after a couple of washes.

Exact same here nikpmup,im strugling to entertain her all day but love my nights sleep.
    Ladies what sleepsuits/babygrows are you using? I find all of mine are shrinking so easy after a couple of washes.

My little lady is very long and I also had shrinking issues with penneys and tesco babygrows. I find Boots, Mothercare and Next best in terms of length and they seem to wash well.

My little lady is very long and I also had shrinking issues with penneys and tesco babygrows. I find Boots, Mothercare and Next best in terms of length and they seem to wash well.

Never even thought of boots,il try mothercare and see how I go. Shes long so hard to get them fitting right

Never even thought of boots,il try mothercare and see how I go. Shes long so hard to get them fitting right

My lady is the same. The only ones of her 0-3mths that she can still wear over the legs are those ones and she's only 10 weeks today. She's been out of the other brands for a while. Saying that I haven't tried dunnes ones yet.

My lady is the same. The only ones of her 0-3mths that she can still wear over the legs are those ones and she's only 10 weeks today. She's been out of the other brands for a while. Saying that I haven't tried dunnes ones yet.

Its crazy that they are out of the zero to three already. I remember when they were way too big. I thougt the 3 to 6 would be huge on her but there actualy not,want to get the most out of them tho so whatever washes best wil be what she gets going forward.

• Advertisement

I got some lovely long sleeved vests in mothercare, but they were pricey - €17 for a pack of 5. I buy the penny's ones in a size bigger TBH for vests. Dunes and Tesco sleep suits in 3-6 months seem to have a bit of length in them.

Brought him round to his nanas this evening for a while. OH's mum is disabled and has carers come in two or three times a day. One of the carers is quite, erm...exuberant, shall we say, and the last time I had Hugo there she picked him up without asking and started to make faces and noises at him - he went doolally, hated it and was inconsolable. This evening, she did similar - he was lying on the bed; she went right over and kissed him and started making mad noises. Hugo went from happily kicking his legs to screaming in three seconds flat. I don't want to make things awkward between OH's mother and the carers, she gets on well with them, but if she does it again I think I'll have to tell her where to go!

Advertisement