Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

nikpmup wrote: »
    I got some lovely long sleeved vests in mothercare, but they were pricey - €17 for a pack of 5. I buy the penny's ones in a size bigger TBH for vests. Dunes and Tesco sleep suits in 3-6 months seem to have a bit of length in them.

Brought him round to his nanas this evening for a while. OH's mum is disabled and has carers come in two or three times a day. One of the carers is quite, erm...exuberant, shall we say, and the last time I had Hugo there she picked him up without asking and started to make faces and noises at him - he went doolally, hated it and was inconsolable. This evening, she did similar - he was lying on the bed; she went right over and kissed him and started making mad noises. Hugo went from happily kicking his legs to screaming in three seconds flat. I don't want to make things awkward between OH's mother and the carers, she gets on well with them, but if she does it again I think I'll have to tell her where to go!

Jaysus, that's expensive for vests!!! Anything I got from Mothercare were gifts. Vests aren't a big issue. It's the legs we have trouble with. Got some gorgeous stripy vests and ones with loads of colourful owls on them from tesco in 0-3mths. Will be sad when she outgrows them. Haven't seen them since.

Not really sure how I'd approach the thing with the carer. Very awkward. Did she stop when she realised how upset he was? I'm fairly easygoing about her being held and don't mind people who know her picking her up but someone that i(or she) doesn't really know picking her up uninvited and kissing her would bother me alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I bought them because they were reduced to €12, and I needed long sleeve vests to go under the (many) cute tshirts he has! Tesco is great for stuff for babies, he had some gorgeous Sesame Street sleepsuits from there that he's grown out of now, they were très cute!

Hmm, the carer....she's very nice, and she didn't mean any harm but I was very put out! I work as a carer myself, and I wouldn't be as overfamiliar with clients family members. I think if she does it again I might say to her that he doesn't like strangers and see if she takes the hint - if she doesn't, I'll have to be a bit more blunt!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Just say he's starting to make strange with anyone other than you or your OH and you're trying to keep him calm because it's throwing off his sleep. You're sure he'll grow out of it soon, but until then no one can cuddle or play with him but the two of you.

For those of you with long legged babies, try to get footless babygros. Rory's only just about in 3-6 now. He's so little. I love it. We've finally started doing up his room. Sunshine yellow for my little dreamboat.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Just say he's starting to make strange with anyone other than you or your OH and you're trying to keep him calm because it's throwing off his sleep. You're sure he'll grow out of it soon, but until then no one can cuddle or play with him but the two of you.

For those of you with long legged babies, try to get footless babygros. Rory's only just about in 3-6 now. He's so little. I love it. We've finally started doing up his room. Sunshine yellow for my little dreamboat.

Footless babygros might be the way to go alright. Didn't even think of them. Of course that will mean battle with keeping of the socks on with little miss kicky legs :) I dread moving Olivia to her own room. Think we'll have to do it before the 6 months as she's starting to look ridiculous in her Moses basket. When she lies straight her little head is only a couple of inches from the top. Our bed is 6 foot so the room will be like an obstacle course with the cot in here. Will try it and see I suppose but have a feeling it won't work. Thankfully she sleeps like a little Buddha with the legs pulled up under her most of the time. Even though I've found her once or twice with her bum nearly touching the end and her legs waving like flags over the top. Hilarious but worrying at the same time! I also fear that when moves into her own room that the owl wall that the oh and his mother and sister did for her will be such an object of fascination that she'll spend all her time staring at it instead of sleeping!!! It's very cool. When I feed her in there she gazes at them, especially at the funny owl with the moustache. Maybe nocturnal creatures shouldn't have been our theme. Speaking of sleep, I'm not sure why I'm awake and internetting when I could be still asleep. Olivia went down around 10.15 after a couple of hours of rattyness and is still knocked out! We were out for lunch so we missed her big nap and it really put her out. She's stirring away now so I doubt I have long more.

Theiving c**** broke in last night and stole my new iPad that my lovely OH bought me for my birthday two days ago, both his car and mine, and the buggy that was in my boot, as well as the Stokke sling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Theiving c**** broke in last night and stole my new iPad that my lovely OH bought me for my birthday two days ago, both his car and mine, and the buggy that was in my boot, as well as the Stokke sling :(

Oh my god thats herendous.im so sorry to hear that. That is so low to steal the baby stuff,absolute scum.

Agh, that's terrible nikpmup! Did ye hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

They actually went through the baby's change bag :mad: I thought i heard voices around 6.30am, but there's water meters being installed so it could have been workmen. The buggy was in the boot which they wouldn't have known about but there was the car seat base and my nephews car seat in the back seat, so they would have known we had at least one baby :( I'm really shaken, i can't even start a claim because my drivers license and car log book was taken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Thats terrible,you wouldnt even want to use the change bag after they had their hands all over it.
    Just so so low to steal a new babys things that you worked hard to pay for and pick out for your baby.
    Did they make any attempt to take the car itself?

The cars gone, both of them are. They stole the keys and took the cars, as well as my ipad, his camera (a good DSLR) my purse, my passport and the playstation.

• Advertisement

Small victory, workmen putting in water meters found my purse with my driving license still in it. Thank god, need it to claim on the car insurance. Passports still missing, OH has gone to look for it where the workmen found the purse on the off chance that it's been dumped. Log book was in the glove compartment, gonna report that now. Hate this :( Hope the scumbags come to a sticky and painful end.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Oh Nikpmump that is awful, so sorry to hear that. Absolute scum, hope they catch them. Fingers crossed you get some of it back or can claim soon. What I would like to call these people would probably be blocked from the site!

Ha ah, don't worry, I think I invented new curse words for them and published said new words freely on Facebook! Discovered this morning that my reading glasses were nicked; last night I realised that the gift set my OH bought me from our son for my birthday (as well as the happy birthday gift bag it was in) was lifted as well. I mean, what the actual fcuk are they going to do with a load of Clinique miniatures and a pair of purple reading glasses? (I feckin really liked those specs too, they were Tommy Hilfiger ones :( ) They also got my OH's camera and his watch. And what's worst of all, I had to cancel my bank cards, and as a result I couldn't buy Hall & Oates tickets which went on sale yesterday and are now totally sold out, I wanted to get them for OH's birthday :( The Garda technical scene of crime guys never turned up yesterday (suppose they have murders & stuff to be investigating!) so I never cleaned the house - just tidied up. I doubt they'll be here before Monday; I'm itching to scrub the house top to bottom. There's still big mucky footprints going through the hall and into the sitting room, it's making me sick looking at them.

The kerfuffle seems to have turned little mans world upside down as well, he spent a lot of yesterday napping (after a two week battle to get him to nap during the day!) and as a result it was after ten when he went to bed and was awake at six. He's asleep now again. I hope he gets back into his rhythm, we had a good 8-8 thing going there! Although it now appears that the secret to getting him to nap during the day is to throw him into his swing chair or beanbag, ignore him and have all sorts of people tramping through the house making noise!!

His Nana kindly offered to buy us a replacement buggy until the insurance cheque comes through. I ran out yesterday evening and went to baby elegance, they had a pebble travel system on offer for €299. Got it (buggy, carrycot, chassis, car seat and footmuff) and an isofix base for €379. It looks good and is very light, but I don't know how well it'll perform. For that price I suppose I can't complain! Hopefully it'll last well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

Nikpmup I have the beep twist one which is like the same and it does a brilliant job! I hope they catch scums responsible!

So, the 8-8 honeymoons DEFINITELY over..... We're back to 10.30-5.30 :(

I think Fridays stress had a lot to do with it, his sleep has been disrupted since then. Back to the grindstone.... We had it good, I want to get back to that!

That's a disaster. Getting up at 5.30 is a killer. Hopefully when things settle for ye he'll go back to normal. Our little monkey gave us 4-5 nights of anywhere between 9.45/11 to 7/8.30ish. She usually goes back within an hour of those times and has a decent nap then. However, last night she woke again at 1.40am starving. We had accidentally cut the tip of her finger while trying to make her nails less lethal. She only gives herself the occasional scratch but has clawed the pair of us lately. It was just before bath time and my husband bravely volunteered for the job while I held her hand. First few nails went fine and then she screamed and the accusing looks she gave us were heartbreaking. We both nearly got sick. Cleaned her hand as quickly as we could and fired her into the bath where she calmed down instantly. The pair of us still feel horrendous about it. Wondering if the pre bedtime upset or the new sleep sack we put her in cause the disturbed sleep or is it just random baby waking.
    Off to haggle on a new(to me) car with my father later as soon as the roads are less dodgy. It's a massive Skoda superb estate. A bit overkill for one baby I suppose but I have an estate already and it's so handy for ferrying baby crap around and the husband will only drive an automatic so since Olivia has arrived I have been doing 99% of the driving when the 3 of us are together and his car only has a small boot so I want something we'll both drive.

Oh god, I'm terrified of doing his nails but it has to be done! His toes are worse!

He's teething I reckon - loads of drool and the fist in the mouth constantly. I'm hoping he'll settle back into a good pattern. I didn't get up at 5.30 / looked at my watch initially and thought it was 6.30, when I realised the correct time I thought 'sod this!' Took him into my bed where we both dozed till 8am. We'll see what tonight brings!

I'll have to go car shopping in a couple if weeks :( I'm wondering if I should go full mammy mode, get a focus C-Max or similar?

Oh god, I'm terrified of doing his nails but it has to be done! His toes are worse!

He's teething I reckon - loads of drool and the fist in the mouth constantly. I'm hoping he'll settle back into a good pattern. I didn't get up at 5.30 / looked at my watch initially and thought it was 6.30, when I realised the correct time I thought 'sod this!' Took him into my bed where we both dozed till 8am. We'll see what tonight brings!

I'll have to go car shopping in a couple if weeks :( I'm wondering if I should go full mammy mode, get a focus C-Max or similar?

It was awful. We'll be trying filing them the next time!

I'm wondering could baby be teething at the moment too. She's been quite the drool bag for a week or two and is chewing the hands off herself. She has a little hard white bump on her back left upper gum too. Seems a little offside to be the beginning of a tooth coming through though. Plus she's only 10.5 weeks so surely that's way too young to be teething? She had a hysterical crying fit earlier. She went purple. It was scary. Don't know whether it was trapped wind/teething/reflux/over tiredness or all of the above. It took ages to calm her. She had her bedtime bottle earlier than usual so I'd say she'll definitely be up again during the night tonight.

A friend of mine has the c max and really likes it. Car shopping is painful but my father likes nothing better than haggling. Ended up going with the Superb. Happy out. Feels a bit like driving a bus though and my current car isn't exactly small.

I've no problem driving a bus as I do actually drive a minibus in work :)

Little man seems to be a bit more himself today. He has totally gone backwards on the tummy time though, I had it quite built up but on Friday and Saturday I did none at all. Come Sunday, he's back to square one - lying flat, not attempting to lift his head at all and screaming like a banshee! I'll be in trouble with the PHN :-/
    Bought him teetha gel today, he's the same as Olivia, Roesy, knawing his fists and drooling. He actually possets up clear fluid sometimes, I assume it's drool that he's swallowed. He seems to really dig the teetha! Was sucking his bottom lip all afternoon!

Tip for the tiny nails.

Wait til they're just fed and all blissed out.

Sit them in your lap reclining against your tummy and pick up a little hand.

Take each finger and sort of pull the finger tip down so you can get the wee clippers in under the nail.

Move the clippers gently to one side, so that it comes out past the side of the nail (this means there's no skin to get caught) and snip. Slide it over to the other side and do the same. And a tiny little snip on the middle bit that might be a little bit pointy.

3 snips per nail.

Also, let it be a one person job. It's hard to be coordinated with four hands on the go.

The little slip will heal in jig-time Roesy, don't worry about it.

Rory had red cheeks this evening. Teeth must be on the move again.

• Advertisement

I hate doing the nails too but necessary job as he keeps scrapping his face and pinching my boob ouch! Thanks for tip on nail clippers Das kitty might try next time.

My fella is definitely teething too, bibs are needed with the amount of drool. Got teetha too, he was loving that stuff, was quite funny kept opening his mouth for more! My sis also gave me one of those amber bracelets so have that on him but doesn't seem to make any difference to the drooling.

We still having mare with the napping, he just won't give in to the sleeping! I sat in the dark with hi upstairs for hours over wend and it made no difference, minute I put him down in his cot he wakes and screams! I ended up just bawling with him, I felt like such a useless mommy. Tryin not to stress about it but it's hard when he is rubbing his eyes and really tired looking and I'm his mommy n can't get him to sleep!

Rosey we have had a few of those horrible red faced crying sessions lately and they are overtired cries. They pretty horrible as they get into awful state and you can't do much

He was awake at 4.30 this morning :-/ I can't be dealing with the nights anymore, now that I've had a taster of 8-8!

Bad mommy that I am, I didn't get up to him... I kept one ear and one eye open, I wasn't getting up unless it was proper crying!! He fell back asleep by five, and woke up again at 8.15! :)

Re naps, today I'm taking to the bed with him, and we're BOTH having a nap!! He fell asleep on me yesterday, so I reckon it's the only way to go! I put a telly up in the room yesterday with an Apple TV, so I can watch Netflix box sets while he snoozes.

That's the way to do it. He's learned to self soothe, that's brill!

Rory's room is painted now. He'll be making his move soon!

His auntie has taken him for an hour while I have a shower and blow dry my hair. Bliss!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's the way to do it. He's learned to self soothe, that's brill!

Rory's room is painted now. He'll be making his move soon!

I could hear him sucking his fists, I reckon his teeth are bothering him.

He was awake at 4.30 this morning :-/ I can't be dealing with the nights anymore, now that I've had a taster of 8-8!

Bad mommy that I am, I didn't get up to him... I kept one ear and one eye open, I wasn't getting up unless it was proper crying!! He fell back asleep by five, and woke up again at 8.15! :)

Re naps, today I'm taking to the bed with him, and we're BOTH having a nap!! He fell asleep on me yesterday, so I reckon it's the only way to go! I put a telly up in the room yesterday with an Apple TV, so I can watch Netflix box sets while he snoozes.

Wow you definitely have him doing good with sleeps if he is waking n then still managing to get himself back to sleep! If my fella wakes we all know about it pretty quickly n no chance of him drifting back off!
    I am currently lying on the bed feeding him with room dark and lullaby music playing in the vain hope he drifts off for a nap soon! The minute I move he will jolt back to wakefulness I'm sure so I'm afraid to move!

knock13 wrote: »
    Wow you definitely have him doing good with sleeps if he is waking n then still managing to get himself back to sleep! If my fella wakes we all know about it pretty quickly n no chance of him drifting back off!
    I am currently lying on the bed feeding him with room dark and lullaby music playing in the vain hope he drifts off for a nap soon! The minute I move he will jolt back to wakefulness I'm sure so I'm afraid to move!

I am in no doubt that it was a one-off! Who knows what tonight will bring? Mind you, today he had 2 half hour naps and a long one between 2.30-4.45pm. He's happily kicking away, it's pjs, bottle and bed shortly :)

I can put Olivia down drowsy if she's not refluxy but if she's having a bad day then you can forget about it. She's having an awful few days with it at the moment. Exhausting for all of us. It's horrible to see her so upset and in pain. Thinking of heading back to the doctor with her tomorrow. When I brought her with the reflux she was just under 2 weeks. Now it's 9 weeks later and it seems to be getting worse at the moment :( The gp I saw that day more or less reckoned it was something we need to get on with which isn't really fair. I don't think you'd expect an adult to put up with being anything from uncomfortable to howling with pain everytime they ate so why should a baby. We've done all the usual things recommended for reflux to varying success. It's just rotten to see her like this when she's such a sunny little creature in between times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Roesy wrote: »
    I can put Olivia down drowsy if she's not refluxy but if she's having a bad day then you can forget about it. She's having an awful few days with it at the moment. Exhausting for all of us. It's horrible to see her so upset and in pain. Thinking of heading back to the doctor with her tomorrow. When I brought her with the reflux she was just under 2 weeks. Now it's 9 weeksi later and it seems to be getting worse at the moment :( The gp I saw that day more or less reckoned it was something we need to get on with which isn't really fair. I don't think you'd expect an adult to put up with being anything from uncomfortable to howling with pain everytime they ate so why should a baby. We've done all the usual things recommended for reflux to varying success. It's just rotten to see her like this when she's such a sunny little creature in between times.

Hi rosey
    Sorry to hear that your little one is suffering bad with reflux. We had same problem. I cant remember if you posted before re treatments for the reflux? Did the gp prescribe anything for your baby?

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Hi rosey
    Sorry to hear that your little one is suffering bad with reflux. We had same problem. I cant remember if you posted before re treatments for the reflux? Did the gp prescribe anything for your baby?

Gp said raise the head of the cot/basket and try infant gaviscon. Gaviscon helped briefly but we noticed a big improvement for a while when I finished breast feeding and switched her over to anti reflux Aptamil. I did a lot of reading about it and do a bit of baby massage as well as giving her infacol and using dr browns bottles too. How's your little one now? As I say, we have good days and bad but are definitely disimproving at the moment. Will see what the doc says tomorrow.

Advertisement