Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Roesy wrote: »
    Gp said raise the head of the cot/basket and try infant gaviscon. Gaviscon helped briefly but we noticed a big improvement for a while when I finished breast feeding and switched her over to anti reflux Aptamil. I did a lot of reading about it and do a bit of baby massage as well as giving her infacol and using dr browns bottles too. How's your little one now? As I say, we have good days and bad but are definitely disimproving at the moment. Will see what the doc says tomorrow.

Maybe "suggest" if you can to gp to try zantac or losec. We have being using it for weeks now and it seems to be working. It all sort of kicked off for us at 5 -6 weeks. We didnt know if samuel had colic or silent reflux or bit of both. Thinking now it is bit of both. We are using dr browns bottles too. We went from sma when he was born to aptamil comfort for the colic at bout 3 weeks of age. The comfort helped for few weeks as it has less lactose in it but after few weeks things were getting bad again so i put him on sma lactose free and say big change. We also started the zantac round the same time. It seems that some babies find it quiet hard to break down lactose in their systems till there bit older. Seens as we were using lactose free milk and he seemed improved the gp recommended adding "carobel" to the milk, its a thickening agent which makes it like any of the anti reflux milks as i wasnt going to take him off lactose free.
    He is doing pretty well thankfully. He had his 2 mth vaccines last thur even thou he was 12 weeks at the time and we had a rough few days after. Felt like we were going back to the inconsolable roaring crying again but he had a good day today so hopefully he'l settle.
    Sorry for the big long speel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Interesting Roesy, I got chatting to a woman in a cafe (yep, I'm now a mammy who randomly chats to other mammies!) and she said that she saw a breastfeeding consultant, who suggested that she had too much foremilk which is high in lactose. Once she switched to formula her baby was fine - as was my lad, he stopped the screaming, gagging and vomiting as soon as I stopped breastfeeding. I'll know for #2, if I see signs of reflux to get the lactose drops straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

naughto wrote: »
    Maybe "suggest" if you can to gp to try zantac or losec. We have being using it for weeks now and it seems to be working. It all sort of kicked off for us at 5 -6 weeks. We didnt know if samuel had colic or silent reflux or bit of both. Thinking now it is bit of both. We are using dr browns bottles too. We went from sma when he was born to aptamil comfort for the colic at bout 3 weeks of age. The comfort helped for few weeks as it has less lactose in it but after few weeks things were getting bad again so i put him on sma lactose free and say big change. We also started the zantac round the same time. It seems that some babies find it quiet hard to break down lactose in their systems till there bit older. Seens as we were using lactose free milk and he seemed improved the gp recommended adding "carobel" to the milk, its a thickening agent which makes it like any of the anti reflux milks as i wasnt going to take him off lactose free.
    He is doing pretty well thankfully. He had his 2 mth vaccines last thur even thou he was 12 weeks at the time and we had a rough few days after. Felt like we were going back to the inconsolable roaring crying again but he had a good day today so hopefully he'l settle.
    Sorry for the big long speel!

Well, we saw the gp today. They don't prescribe losec or Zantac in the practice but feels that the fact things are worsening probably warrants a consultation with a paediatrician. Said its unusual for reflux to last beyond 16 weeks but that's 5 weeks away.

Roesy wrote: »
    Well, we saw the gp today. They don't prescribe losec or Zantac in the practice but feels that the fact things are worsening probably warrants a consultation with a paediatrician. Said its unusual for reflux to last beyond 16 weeks but that's 5 weeks away.

At least things are moving in the right direction for her.

My lad has learned how to squeal. Loudly.

Ya, step in the right direction hopefully. Think a bath and an earlyish night are in order. It's been a long few days. The squeals are funny. We've had a little overtired squeal for a good while but lately we've been getting funny squeals and laughs(sounds like she's choking!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Were getting the chokey laugh here too. Its funny. I couldnt wait foqt her to laugh it finally happened yesterday and its so funny.
    Were back to full nights sleep almost,she does wake around three but goes back down with a smile and a rock.getting twelve to seven out of her its nice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Rory has started laughing along with studio audiences on telly. Either that or he finds John Stewart's Daily Show hilarious.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Rory has started laughing along with studio audiences on telly. Either that or he finds John Stewart's Daily Show hilarious.

Thats halarious!!

Hugo isn't laughing yet, (can't wait for that!) but he squeals and sings at the telly - in particular, the morning show on UTV, and JEREMY KYLE!! He feckin LOVES it! I have a little beanbag that I stick him in when I need to do anything, he sits in that in front of the box and squeals away. In fact, this morning when I lifted him out of the beanbag he started to cry! Settled down as soon as I put him in front if it again. I'm raising a chavvy son, who knew?!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Ahhh the squeelingg is so cute, the OH and Dorian were out for a walk the other day and i though i heard squeeling when I was alone... not so cute then...

I know my little fella is a month older than most of the babies here but have any of you started solids yet, or do any of our mommies know how many ounces baby should be consuming before moving to solids?

• Advertisement

Babies reaction to TV is hilarious im sure they all believe everyone is speaking directly to them

Apparently the time to start is when they can sit up supported, and can hold their head up, I'm gonna hold off for a while I think, Hugo seems a little behind in some things - his corrected age is only12 weeks so I'm in no rush. Reckon he'll be a meat-n-spuds man like his daddy :)

im really not loking forward to all my muslins changing colour...

im really not loking forward to all my muslins changing colour...

Lol,i never even thougt of that!
    Herself is content with four to five six ounce feeds a day so im in no rush yet for solids.
    Any of you done the christening yet? Im wondering how bubbies reacted to the water.

No christening yet. Would want to do it soon or she won't fit into the lovely christening robe my oh's mammy is after crocheting. Plus, my cousin, whose baby is only a week older than madam is christened nearly a month. We'll be the talk of the family :)
    Little lady is taking about 35oz a day and sometimes more. She seems to be drinking to soothe the reflux. Doubt we'll get to 6 months without introducing solids.

There's no set amount of ounces. Really what you're looking for is the baby showing an interest and reaching for what you have. They also need to be able to sit up in a high chair.

Rory has no interest yet at 16 weeks and I'll be holding off until he does. The food they eat before they're 1 is just fun practice. It's given along with the milk feeds which is where the baby gets the majority of their nutrition.

no christening here we're breaking all the grandparents hearts, but im atheist and oh is agnostic...

we're having a party tho... not sure what to do other than make a 2 tier baby cake lol

.....*whispers*.......

*gonna ignore all talk/mention of christening in the hope everyone will forget about it*

....*closes door quietly*....

....*runs away*.....

I've gone full atheist since my first was born and my OH is atheist since he was 12 so no christening here either. Funny thing is, my OH never told his mother he had no faith. So he pretty much had to come out to her. I'd say the reaction would have been more favourable had he said he was gay.

Ah well, the bandaid is off now.

my mother just ignores that I don't believe she even told me he won't be able to go to school :/

did you and your oh have a naming ceremony or a welcome to the world party oranything

• Advertisement

also moving him to the cot bed tomorrow are bumpers still not recommended or have views onthat changed again

AFAIK they're still not recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Christening here on the 15th. Her godfather is buddhist but had to swear blind to the priest that hes a catholic so that they would accept him..not off to a great start but have an amazing cake ordered nom :D actually any of you ladies know of any good caterers in Dublin? Having a party in the house for it and need to find a caterer cause im far too lazy to do it myself.

my mother just ignores that I don't believe she even told me he won't be able to go to school :/

did you and your oh have a naming ceremony or a welcome to the world party oranything

We haven't yet. It's our older son's birthday next week so we don't want to steal his thunder. Might do something before I go back to work.

Madisson wrote: »
    Christening here on the 15th. Her godfather is buddhist but had to swear blind to the priest that hes a catholic so that they would accept him..not off to a great start but have an amazing cake ordered nom :D actually any of you ladies know of any good caterers in Dublin? Having a party in the house for it and need to find a caterer cause im far too lazy to do it myself.

greens catering is in walkinstown.Alan the owner is lively and he's good but I know him from a hobby sonever had to workwith him or hire him, he has fed us, though.
    check alan greenscatering on facebook and send him a message if you'd want more info

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We haven't yet. It's our older son's birthday next week so we don't want to steal his thunder. Might do something before I go back to work.

Dont even want to think about returning to work but it is on my mind already upset about being away from mini me all day

Madisson wrote: »

When my sister christened her son, her partners sister and her husband were godparents. Imagine the priests surprise when Mr & Mrs Abdul Almouusili, from little catholic middle eastern extraction, stepped up to the font whistling innocently :D

I don't even want to THINK about going back to work :( Time to think about getting knocked up again! ;)

nikpmup wrote: »
    When my sister christened her son, her partners sister and her husband were godparents. Imagine the priests surprise when Mr & Mrs Abdul Almouusili, from little catholic middle eastern extraction, stepped up to the font whistling innocently :D

I don't even want to THINK about going back to work :( Time to think about getting knocked up again! ;)

I'm due back mid April but we need to sit down and do our sums and see how much unpaid leave I can take. Would hope a month anyway. Would love to have her started on solids. As for the knocked up thing, I was changing Olivia's nappy yesterday and my stomach was completely turned, almost to the point of empty retching. Had a brief panic because the last time my sense of smell was that heightened was during early pregnancy!! Off I ran to consult my calendar. Not really likely at all by my dates. I'm sure we'd be delighted and did want a couple of kids close in age but I don't think either of us were thinking along the lines of Irish twins :) Not sure morning sickness and dirty nappies would be a good combination.

I tink if money wasnt an issue id love a little pal for herself but think we'l just be having the one and spoil her rotten. So with no prospect of another lovely six months off im definately going to enjoy the next two.

• Advertisement

Funny, the only thing that turned my stomach was food - I work in care, and believe me, you'd want to have a strong stomach :D

We were kind of hoping to have 18 months or so between kids so that would mean getting pregnant in the summer, going on mat leave next spring.... Don't know if I can wait that long!

Advertisement