Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

knock13 wrote: »
    God it's so hard to believe that the official maternity leave is almost over aaaggghh! Where have the weeks gone but still some time left to enjoy so I'm trying not to think about work. He is just starting to be so much fun now don't want someone else getting to have all the fun with him!
    Need to figure out if can add on holiday days to give more time with the little guy. I keep putting off looking at crèches, think I'm in denial but I know I need to face facts and go see some, maybe next week! Would love if family or someone I know could mind him but don't think that's an option. Really would love to do 4 day week but my boss has already said it isn't an option so it will be back to mon to fri for me although I won't be working late like I used to! Priorities have definitely changed and for the better!

Would your boss let you take one day parental leave a week? My job are very good with that sort of thing, they'll be quite flexible. I normally work mon/tues/sat/sun one week, (all long shifts) and wed/thurs/fri (two long shifts and one 6hr day) the next week - I'm going to see if I can take 6hrs parental leave a fortnight so I'm only working two week days, and every 2nd weekend. Advantage - I'll have three or four days OFF every week. Disadvantage - I literally won't see him from Sunday bedtime until Wednesday morning!! Must get pregnant again soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Little monkey has been put on Zantac for the reflux. Already hates the taste of it! She is 14 and 1/2lb. My little baby weighs more than a stone!!! She has also grown nearly 8cm. Paediatrician was pleased with her in terms of head and neck control and all that stuff. Will be curious to see if the phn echoes this next week at 3 month check up :)

I'm sure she will Roesy. That's great that she's on Zantac, you should see an improvement with her.
    That's a good weight as well. I think my fella is about the 16lb mark now. Some difference from the tiny 6lb 13oz I came home with!

OH has gone out. Me & Hugo against the world :(

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm sure she will Roesy. That's grateful that she's on Zantac, you should see an improvement with her.

OH has gone out. Me & Hugo against the world :(

Dunno about phn to be honest! She's been a bit wishy washy/non committal during any dealings I've had with her so far.

Roesy wrote: »
    Dunno about phn to be honest! She's been a bit wishy washy/non committal during any dealings I've had with her so far.

Swap you for mine! I think mine has her default setting at idiot - she talks to me as if she thinks I have the IQ of a potato. Have to see her on Wednesday - to RE-check his head control. I know he can lift his head - I have photos to prove it - but I guarantee the little fart will lie there flat as a pancake and make no attempt to lift it on the day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I'm going to take unpaid mat leave for a few weeks and aim to be back in work in July. My sister Is off july and august so is minding her and ill have to look at a creche then :( going to take parental leave so I just have a 4 day week but im going for promotion and if I get it I wont be able to work 4 day weeks for a year. It will kill me working 5 days :( Cannot imagine spending my day without her. She could walk and talk for the first time there booo

We had our 3 month check today. Shes 11pounds 4 and has grown 10cm. She didnt even check for head control and I told her I was worried about her hearing because shes not reacting to sound and my cousin is deaf so its pkaying on my mind and she said to come back to her in 4 months!!!!:O

Madisson wrote: »
    We had our 3 month check today. Shes 11pounds 4 and has grown 10cm. She didnt even check for head control and I told her I was worried about her hearing because shes not reacting to sound and my cousin is deaf so its pkaying on my mind and she said to come back to her in 4 months!!!!:O

:eek: That sounds very lax! Did she have her hearing checked in the hospital? Perhaps the 4 month thing is to allow for development; maybe they can't check before a certain age?

Swap you for mine! I think mine has her default setting at idiot - she talks to me as if she thinks I have the IQ of a potato. Have to see her on Wednesday - to RE-check his head control. I know he can lift his head - I have photos to prove it - but I guarantee the little fart will lie there flat as a pancake and make no attempt to lift it on the day!!

Ha, I hear you on that. We were talking to the dr about the screaming episodes she has and honest to god it was like the little fairy was saying 'who? Me?' She was batting her eyelashes and cooing and chatting and when it came to putting her on her tummy I thought she roar but she just lifted her head and looked around like a little champ! Of course she started screaming 2 minutes after we left the doctors office and it continued for the first 15 minutes of our car journey!!

:eek: That sounds very lax! Did she have her hearing checked in the hospital? Perhaps the 4 month thing is to allow for development; maybe they can't check before a certain age?

Yw she had it checked in the hospital but like.i had her in her bouncer in the kitchen and dropped a pot on the tiles and she didn't even bat an eyelid. The phn just said if shes deaf there isnt anything that can be done anyway and that she may just be too young to be noticing noises but surely she should know for definite and all the books say by 3 months they should be turning towards noise :(

• Advertisement

If you got the newborn hearing screening you probably got a card with the things they should be doing with regards hearing at the different ages. Might be worth taking a look at if you haven't done so and maybe going to your gp if you are worried that she's not meeting those markers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is she babbling yet, Madisson?

I know sometimes I could clatter stuff around Rory and he pays no attention. Does she startle with noises when she's falling asleep? Try not to worry too much.

Olivia didn't react when the doctor banged the table beside her today, she was too busy looking around at the unfamiliar surroundings. The doctor didn't seem massively concerned but just confirmed with us that she normally does react to sound.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Is she babbling yet, Madisson?

I know sometimes I could clatter stuff around Rory and he pays no attention. Does she startle with noises when she's falling asleep? Try not to worry too much.

Ye shes started babbling. She could be just really chillaxed and not bothered by anything but its just nerve wracking. Havent noticed the falling asleep bit. .ill give it a go when shes drowsy tomorrow..makes sense to try ut when shes not distracted by everything around her. Thanks for that :)

Ye shes started babbling. She could be just really chillaxed and not bothered by anything but its just nerve wracking. Havent noticed the falling asleep bit. .ill give it a go when shes drowsy tomorrow..makes sense to try ut when shes not distracted by everything around her. Thanks for that :)

Babbling is a sign of copying what she hears, so that's that deffo a good sign.

I wonder what weight Rory is...

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Babbling is a sign of copying what she hears, so that's that deffo a good sign.

I wonder what weight Rory is...

I have a fairly decent digital bathroom scale, I set it to pounds, stand on it, (gasp in horror) go get Hugo, stand on it again and subtract. Not totally accurate but gives a fair idea.

..... Of course if you have one of those hangy luggage weighing things you could always dangle Rory out of it by the back of the sleepsuit.....*

*denotes joke

When he was tiny I used to put him in a cotton bag and use one of those!

That's gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

On the hearing thing, herself here doesn't turn to noises either. I know she hears things because I did that make a noise when shes dozing off test but say if shes lying on the mat turning left and I sqeek a toy at the right she seems oblivious some of the times.

She was giddy out tonight, it was as if she know that I was hanging for a sleep since eight, and now that's shes finally conked Ive got me 2nd wind.

• Advertisement

Aagh! Tearing my hair out at this stage! The guards found my car last Monday, due to a mix up we thought it was my boyfriends car. Discovered on Wednesday that it was actually mine, and that it's in the Garda lock-up in donabate. The lock-up and my insurance company can't touch it until the guards dust it for fingerprints, and because of the mix up, nobody in the guards seems to know when it's to be dusted. Meanwhile I'm stuck at home with a sick baby and no wheels!!!!

Just had Hugo back to the PHN for a re-check of his gross motor skills. He's to be referred to a physio regarding his inability/unwillingness to lift his head, and also a doctor regarding this and his head circumference. His head was in the 98th percentile a month ago whereas his length and weight was in the 50th, now his head is bigger again, in the 99th percentile - its grown 2cm in a month. I'm really worried that he might have hydrocephalus (which would explain the big head and the inability to lift his head)

She did agree with me that he had reflux (she's the first health professional to say so) and said that refluxy babies often hate going on their front. She suggested changing formula or infant gaviscon to see if it would help.

And still no word on my car.

:(:(:(

Just had Hugo back to the PHN for a re-check of his gross motor skills. He's to be referred to a physio regarding his inability/unwillingness to lift his head, and also a doctor regarding this and his head circumference. His head was in the 98th percentile a month ago whereas his length and weight was in the 50th, now his head is bigger again, in the 99th percentile - its grown 2cm in a month. I'm really worried that he might have hydrocephalus (which would explain the big head and the inability to lift his head)

She did agree with me that he had reflux (she's the first health professional to say so) and said that refluxy babies often hate going on their front. She suggested changing formula or infant gaviscon to see if it would help.

And still no word on my car.

:(:(:(

Yet again our two are alike. Olivia's been having her head size monitored since 5-6 weeks. She's 99th percentile too but is pretty good with the head control. We were concerned when she had an odd lump on her head that appeared out of nowhere. Dr sent us to the hospital the same day. They were completely unconcerned about the lump but did flag her head size and wanted it monitored. With us they did ask could they measure our heads while we were there and oddly enough we had exactly the same size heads :) (and have pretty big noggins!) They think genetics have won out with our poor baby!!! I try not to worry too much about it, easier said than done sometimes I know. It's funny though, her head doesn't really look big. It's just long from front to back. As for the reflux, we saw a good improvement initially with the anti reflux formula. We tried gaviscon while I was still combination feeding and it made her quite constipated. It might be worth giving one or the other a shot. She is improving with the tummy time. Very short bursts when she is in good form, not too soon after a feed and not tired seem to be the key. The minute she starts showing any real distress we stop. We've noticed she is lasting a bit longer and seems to get a kick out of it in the last day or two(once the timing is right!)
    Hope you aren't too long waiting to see the doctor and the physiotherapist.

It's wild in Cork at the moment. Had to go out in it earlier. The amount of surface water and debris on the roads around here is crazy. The car was rocking, was glad my husband was home and I didn't have to take the baby out in it.

Roesy wrote: »
    Yet again our two are alike. Olivia's been having her head size monitored since 5-6 weeks. She's 99th percentile too but is pretty good with the head control. We were concerned when she had an odd lump on her head that appeared out of nowhere. Dr sent us to the hospital the same day. They were completely unconcerned about the lump but did flag her head size and wanted it monitored. With us they did ask could they measure our heads while we were there and oddly enough we had exactly the same size heads :) (and have pretty big noggins!) They think genetics have won out with our poor baby!!! I try not to worry too much about it, easier said than done sometimes I know. It's funny though, her head doesn't really look big. It's just long from front to back. As for the reflux, we saw a good improvement initially with the anti reflux formula. We tried gaviscon while I was still combination feeding and it made her quite constipated. It might be worth giving one or the other a shot. She is improving with the tummy time. Very short bursts when she is in good form, not too soon after a feed and not tired seem to be the key. The minute she starts showing any real distress we stop. We've noticed she is lasting a bit longer and seems to get a kick out of it in the last day or two(once the timing is right!)
    Hope you aren't too long waiting to see the doctor and the physiotherapist.

It's wild in Cork at the moment. Had to go out in it earlier. The amount of surface water and debris on the roads around here is crazy. The car was rocking, was glad my husband was home and I didn't have to take the baby out in it.

Weird Roesy! Wouldn't it be gas if years in the future, Hugo came home from a weekend in Cork to tell me he's met a lovely girl called Olivia..... ;)
    My OH is adopted so we haven't got his family history to go by, although his head doesn't look big in baby photos.

Weathers wild here too, even if I had a car I wouldn't be going out! Hate being stuck in the house, OH is working late tonight, won't be home till 8ish. Loooong day......

It's like he knew I was upset - changing him for bed tonight I got his first ever laugh. The sweetest music ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Babies laughing is for definite the sweetest sound ! I can't believe this thread is still going I just happened upon it here today. It might have saved my sanity in the early days haha. My son is doing really well. Very happy baby laughs a lot. He sleeps from 8-8 so we are so blessed.
    I think weaning is just around the corner I'm going to buy a high chair this week. I'm so excited about this next stage!!
    Imagine it was nearly this time last year I found out I was pregnant :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

moved lo into the cot from the moses basket, felt like it was a real achievement! except the cot is at the end of my bed, so when he loses his soother I have to get out of bed and go to him.Which happened at 2am, 3am, 4am, 4.30am and so on!! normally he is really good at settling back himself but last nite was the pits. I'm wondering if he knows I'm further away from him than normal! What is it going to be like when I move the cot to his own room!!!!

I'd love if he magically started to sleep through...

The move from the Moses basket seemed like a huge step for us, especially as it meant her going to her own room! Our little messer teases us with a night or two of sleeping through here and there. Just when you start getting excited that she might be into a pattern she starts waking up again. I suppose it's not too bad though, if she wakes it's once usually and once she has a bottle, burp and cuddle she's back to sleep. Public Health Nurse said I should give her less during the night when she wakes so she's not reliant on a full bottle during the night. She's on 7oz, I tried cutting her off at just over 5 last night and it was like she knew and started getting upset so I ended up giving her the 7. I'm not sure it makes sense giving her less if she wakes hungry at 4/5 am having had her last bottle at any time between 7.30-8.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I had that problem too with the soother when he moved into the cot. The end of the bed feels very far away in the middle of the night haha. Want to move him into his own room before I go back to work so if he starts to wake during the night I can hopefully resolve it before I'm back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Doing the basket to cot transition here too,tough going.dummy problem here too up and down all nite going to the end of the bed to put in the dummy.
    Phn checkup later.dreading it,ive been so lax with sticking to making her do tummy time:$

Advertisement