Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    Maybe its this 4 month sleep regression thing I've been reading about nikpmup? Hopefully not! Has he settled back to his old routine? Any sign of getting the car back?

My little madam has taken a proper liking to Babytv. Its mind numbing for me but she loves it! It's handy now to be able to put her in front of it in her bouncer for a few minutes and get things done though.

She's being quite strange with people lately and will cry if anyone else holds her while myself or my husband are there. Any way of getting her over this? It's weird, she's well used to being around other people. Everyone is saying she is too young to be strange with people.

She's wearing a gorgeous, grey, wintery patterned jumper dress and little cream leggings today. She looks ridiculously cute in it! Must dress her in outfits more often. She has loads but I still tend to have her in babygros most of the time for the comfort factor.

Ah, I did NOT know about a sleep regression! That would explain it! Although it's better the last two nights, awake at 6ish and into the bed with me till 8ish.

No sign of car yet :-/ Although himself picked up his new one yesterday, so at least we have one set of wheels between us!

As for making strange, I think just gentle introduction is the way to go.... I don't know, really?! I haven't come across that yet, although he did wail when the PHN picked him up!!

I tend to make sure to dress him in an outfit every day, if only to make sure he gets wear out of them and to differentiate between day and night! Otherwise I fear both of us would spend the day in our pjs!

I bought Hugo a bumbo- style seat yesterday, with toys attached. I'm hoping it'll help him learn to sit upright. He likes it, but only for short stretches. I got it in tesco in maynooth, €55.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Unfortunately the making strange is with people she knows :(

The seat looks great. Olivia is doing short stretches in the Bumbo. She seats and 'reads'/eats her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

That seat looks like a great idea,might get my little mad woman one.
    We also have a babytv fan,the voices giveme a headache and melt my brain a lot but she loves it.
    This week now ive noticed shes taking a lot more interest in her toys,i didnt have many so got some noisey things to give us something to play with. The dangling mat toys and two dollies dont entertain her as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

I'm back! Been away for over a month but its good to be back. Anyway I was just thinkin how your babies bcg mark is healing coz my babas is still gettin all infected and bleh lookin and its been like 10 weeks since the shot?

hanna.v wrote: »
    I'm back! Been away for over a month but its good to be back. Anyway I was just thinkin how your babies bcg mark is healing coz my babas is still gettin all infected and bleh lookin and its been like 10 weeks since the shot?

Same here I just commented on it to oh today. Its now scabbed over but im shocked at how long its taking to fully heal up.

• Advertisement

Apparently it can take weeks to heal. My lads didn't actually appear for weeks until after his shot, it then took a while to scab, and ages for the scab to fall off. It's now a red scar, like a pimple.

That chair has a big drawback. The toy tray rotates around, in order to put him in it you have to rotate the gap to the front, then replace the tray and rotate it around so the toys are in front. And just as I was telling OH to make sure to watch his fingers, mammy caught one of his fingers in the rotating bit :( he was grand, but I feel terrible. I'll be avoiding it for a few days!

No baby TV here, it's not on UPC. My mother has it on her sky package. Tbh, he would watch anything as long as it's colourful - the morning breakfast shows, the One Show, anything with a bright set and close ups of people's faces. He still loves Jeremy Kyle. Must be all the shouting!

So, decided to give him a teensy bit of baby porridge to see how he got on and to get him used to texture in his mouth.... He loved it! Got all excited, kicking his legs! Definitely a dinner man like his daddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

mommies anyone using tommee tippee anti colic bottles? the ones with the vent down the middle of the bottle?
    Ive been at 7 oz up till now, but lo is now draining them so tried 8oz last nite. My problem is when I was making them up, I fill the bottles with the coiled boiled water, leave them on the side and when I need them I then pour in the formula. However, when I scooped in 8oz last nite the bottle was so full and when I tried putting on the lid it squirted out everywhere - messy job! Anyone experience this with their bottles? I really don't want to go changing bottle and teats at this stage as he is flying with his feeds, nor do I want to change the method I use to make up the bottles....any suggestions???

**think I'll also post this in Newborn and Toddlers to see if any other moms have any suggestions..sorry for double post!

I cant help but laugh at my little girl sittin in her chair just giving out,full of chat.so funny.

Having a rough few days again with the reflux. Honestly, I could cry right now. She's cranky and agitated and napping terribly. She's asleep upright in my arms now. It's the only way she can get comfortable. Every time I put her down she arches her back and starts crying. It took 2 hours of walking and rocking and crying for her to get her afternoon nap yesterday. I was lucky today, only took an hour and 15 minutes! Both times she only slept for 30-40 minutes :( I found myself getting frustrated today then guilty for being frustrated and above all just felt useless not being able to soothe her. The Zantac seemed to help initially but she is definitely disimproving the last few days. Sorry for the moan. Just needed to get it out. Hope all the other October babes are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Having a rough few days again with the reflux. Honestly, I could cry right now. She's cranky and agitated and napping terribly. She's asleep upright in my arms now. It's the only way she can get comfortable. Every time I put her down she arches her back and starts crying. It took 2 hours of walking and rocking and crying for her to get her afternoon nap yesterday. I was lucky today, only took an hour and 15 minutes! Both times she only slept for 30-40 minutes :( I found myself getting frustrated today then guilty for being frustrated and above all just felt useless not being able to soothe her. The Zantac seemed to help initially but she is definitely disimproving the last few days. Sorry for the moan. Just needed to get it out. Hope all the other October babes are doing well.

Did u change the feed as well to lactose free?we did that along with the zantac and the difference was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Aww rosey my sympathies are with you, and sometimes it helps to have a little moan especially when there are a few of us in same boat. I'm having crappy few days with him too just regressing big time on the nighttime sleeps and I'm so tired I can barely stay awake feeding him at night. Waking up whenmy head falls to chest moments all the time! The past few mornings I have just been so tired I feel like crying n wonder how I will get thru the day but somehow do! He is now waking 3 times a night so maybe 1ish, 3/4ish and 5.30ish, don't know how much longer I can survive on lack of sleep. Around Xmas he was much better n sleeping from midnight to 7, I want that back!
    Went to docs today for his 4 month jabs n said to her that he might be hungry n should I think about solids but she said he is too young n that it's probably just habit! She did say formula sometimes is heavier so might fill them longer than breast but she wasn't recommending me introducing formula either n that I should keep at the breast feeding if it's working!
    Fingers crossed for a little bit better night tonight n rosey hope your little ones reflux calms down.

We are still using the Aptamil anti reflux naughto. Paediatrician recommended we try Zantac for a month before introducing any other changes. Back to her in about 10 days so might try it then.

My sympathies for the broken nights knock. It's really hard. Especially when you are breastfeeding. You must be drained. Hope it settles down again.

Aw Roesy, that sounds awful - for you and Olivia. Hopefully it's just a bad patch and you'll both come through it soon. I remember all too well letting him sleep on my chest all night, while I was like a zombie, terrified to fall asleep in case I hurt him.
    Funny though, our kids are in sync again! my lad has been off the past couple of days as well - napping poorly (not that he ever napped well during the day) getting hysterical in the evenings and waking at night. Hopefully it's a growth spurt or something and he'll be back to normal soon. He woke at about 4ish this morning, but did settle again until about 7am.

Keep telling yourself; this will pass, she will grow out of it eventually. And if you can, get a break - get someone to take her for an hour or two, go shopping or the movies - it'd be good for you to get a break, mentally and physically.

aww roesy sorry to hear herself is out of sorts.
    we had something similar last week and the week before, absolute wailing in the day and waking every hour after three in the night.
    I actually did end up crying and then felt guilty for crying. I had to get my mam to take her last Tuesday, again felt guilty but I needed a rest, I got a few hours sleep and was like a new woman after it.
    I had the will sleep on mammy but wont sleep anywhere else problem.
    Its hard work, all my buddies telling me "its well for me off everyday", they need to get clued in, its not a day of day time tv its tough going!
    Hope she gets back into her routine soon.

Little ledge slept through. Feel like a new woman!

Thanks for reading/listening people! Feel a bit better even after just posting about it. Sorry to hear others are having or had similar problems. Just found the last couple of days long. Usually she's great craic in between but yesterday she was just irritable plan and simple. Think it upset me too that when my brother called he said ' I don't think I've ever seen that baby smile'. It's like she turns on the cranky when my family call!! She's so smily and full of fun when she's not tired and uncomfortable. It's funny how a flippant remark that he didn't mean any harm by made me feel.

Glad you had a good night nikpmup. It makes all the difference!

Oh, I hear you on the long days! I've been stuck in the house for a month without my car, and if he's being cranky or hard to settle it can be endless. And yes, flippant remarks can really dig, but you know your baby best - you know that she's happy and smiley, she just doesn't deal well when she's under scrutiny! (My lads the same when he's tired, he can't cope at all with any kind of stimulation, even someone saying hello is too much for him!)

He's drinking 9oz bottles now. It barely fits in the bottle! Savage!

nikpmup wrote: »
    Oh, I hear you on the long days! I've been stuck in the house for a month without my car, and if he's being cranky or hard to settle it can be endless. And yes, flippant remarks can really dig, but you know your baby best - you know that she's happy and smiley, she just doesn't deal well when she's under scrutiny! (My lads the same when he's tired, he can't cope at all with any kind of stimulation, even someone saying hello is too much for him!)

He's drinking 9oz bottles now. It barely fits in the bottle! Savage!

9oz wow! Is he still getting a bit of porridge? 8 is the highest on Dr Browns I think. My little lady is a savage too. Is it 4 9's he's taking? We're still doing 5 feeds here(2 8oz and 3 7oz). The smaller, more frequent feeds were stressing her out.

9oz wow! Is he still getting a bit of porridge? 8 is the highest on Dr Browns I think. My little lady is a savage too. Is it 4 9's he's taking? We're still doing 5 feeds here(2 8oz and 3 7oz). The smaller, more frequent feeds were stressing her out.

The porridge was just literally a teaspoonful to get him used to the texture and see how his tummy coped with it, but I think I'm going to have to start weaning proper soon. He inhaled last nights porridge followed by a bottle!
    He's still on 4 feeds a day, like clockwork, 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm, although lately he's been too tired to last till 8pm so he's been getting his last bottle at 7.15ish. I'm going to have to pull the times back when I return to work, first bottle about 6.45/7am, but hopefully that'll mean he'll go to bed earlier. When he starts eating I'll probably be able to reduce the ozs in his bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I was thinking the same about getting his bottles earlier when I return to work. As it is he gets his first bottle between 8 and 9. I will never get to work if that's the case!! He will have to start waking earlier.

I was thinking the same about getting his bottles earlier when I return to work. As it is he gets his first bottle between 8 and 9. I will never get to work if that's the case!! He will have to start waking earlier.

I was worried about how it would all work out, but i know it will, somehow. My mam is going to be minding him, and she's only around the corner, so worst case scenario, wake him last minute and chuck him in the car, he can have his bottle in my mams house. Hopefully by that stage he'll be eating as well so he can take his time with his breakfast!

I'm the same. Both sets of parents are going to take it in turns and they are just down the road. He may have to be lifted into the car still asleep in his pjs. God I feel guilty already!!

I'm the same. Both sets of parents are going to take it in turns and they are just down the road. He may have to be lifted into the car still asleep in his pjs. God I feel guilty already!!

I feel a lot less guilty about doing that than I do about having to leave him in a creche for ten hours - I know there's a lot of people (on this thread included) who have to do that. He might be getting lifted into the car in his pj's, but he's going to be cared for one-to-one by his granny who loves him, and he'll be around his aunts and cousins. Although I may have to have a stern word with her about limiting treats :-/

Finally got my car out of the garda lockup yesterday. Went out to see what damage has been done; it appears the body and interior are alright-ish. However, they've ripped out the bluetooth system, the car is stinking and has damp/mould on the back seat, and the back seat is covered in tobacco and joint butts. Its also very obviously been spat all over. I've yet to find out if there's any damage done to the engine, there's no keys, and the garage can't assess the engine until they replace the ignition and start it up. I am horrified at the thought of putting Hugo into it ever again, I said this to the staff at the garage, and they took the hint I think - they said that if the cost of repairing it exceeded the value of the repairs, that they'd push for it to be considered a write-off. I think they felt sorry for me! I've had a horrible feeling of unease that I just can't shake since seeing the car - the burglary didn't rattle me too much, but seeing the car in that state I suppose drove home that scumbags were in my space and took my stuff.

Tink I feel even worse about the creche now:-(
    Hugely optomistic I know but anyone else watchn baby hunkering up during tummy time and going go on schooch a bit crawl crawl before I go back to work?!

Tink I feel even worse about the creche now:-(
    Hugely optomistic I know but anyone else watchn baby hunkering up during tummy time and going go on schooch a bit crawl crawl before I go back to work?!

oh, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad :(

nikpmup wrote: »
    oh, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad :(

No its not you,just made me realise when you said bubs wil be with loving grandparents that id love tothave that option. Im sure creche be grand,harder on mammy than bubby I think

I feel terrible that I'm imposing on the grandparents even though they can't wait. I said we would try it for the year anyway and see how it's goes and I have made them promise if it's getting to be too much for them especially when he gets more active.
    Anyway I may be pregnant by the end of the year so more maternity leave next year ;-) haha.

I feel terrible that I'm imposing on the grandparents even though they can't wait. I said we would try it for the year anyway and see how it's goes and I have made them promise if it's getting to be too much for them especially when he gets more active.
    Anyway I may be pregnant by the end of the year so more maternity leave next year ;-) haha.

That made me lol about more leave next year.ha now im tempted too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm delighted I sent James to crèche tbh. It's been a wonderful experience for us all. I have no qualms sending Rory now too. I know my mother wouldn't be able to provide the same stimulation if she had been looking after him, heck, I wouldn't be able to myself. :)

James has chicken pops. I'm sure Rory's next.

Advertisement