Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

My chiropractor explained that when they are born, they done know that their hands, feet, etc belong to them so over time that realisation moves down the body so they recognise their hands as their own and at the very end they discover their feet. At this stage, it's their Testicles :-)

Got our first tooth today!

Can't believe the little man is already 20 weeks old today and I only have 2 weeks of official maternity leave left. Sooooo happy that there is an option of unpaid leave even though it's going to be tight.. couldn't bear having to leave him for the whole day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Wow wooha congrats on the tooth!! Thats mad. None here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

4 months today and she has a couple of teeth just lurking under the surface, you can see the little bit of white. She had her 4 month shots today and she's all over the place since. Poor little mite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

No teeth here yet either, spends all day looking for them though!

Had him at the physio today; she's very happy with his neck strength and head control. He has a little trouble controlling his head when lifted forward from lying on his back, but she said that was to be expected with his big head :) She gave me exercises that will focus on his rolling and bearing weight on his legs. I've the cranial doctor (or big head doc!) next week to review his head circumference.

Glad to hear shes happy with him nikpmup :-)
    She also spends all day looking for the teeth. I fear she may be a tv addict. Lol she just cant help but look even when its off.

• Advertisement

Wooha wrote: »
    My chiropractor explained that when they are born, they done know that their hands, feet, etc belong to them so over time that realisation moves down the body so they recognise their hands as their own and at the very end they discover their feet. At this stage, it's their Testicles :-)

Got our first tooth today!

Can't believe the little man is already 20 weeks old today and I only have 2 weeks of official maternity leave left. Sooooo happy that there is an option of unpaid leave even though it's going to be tight.. couldn't bear having to leave him for the whole day!

Congrats on the tooth!

I was "lucky" in that because I had him early, my maternity leave started as soon as I had him - none of it went on any late pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

nikpmup wrote: »

I was "lucky" in that because I had him early, my maternity leave started as soon as I had him - none of it went on any late pregnancy!

The little one only got out 2 weeks late, so "wasted" 4 weeks of my maternity leave being pregnant :-(

Wooha wrote: »
    The little one only got out 2 weeks late, so "wasted" 4 weeks of my maternity leave being pregnant :-(

Same as me so. She'd only be 22 weeks if I went back when I was supposed to. I'm taking unpaid leave until the end of June, back for a couple of days and then I have July and most of August off for summer holidays so I can't complain really.

Same,went the ten days over so shud be back end of this month. Very horible thought. Going to stay out til may.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah lads, Rory is in so much pain. My heart is broken. Fcuking pox!

He's got such a bad dose, his whole head and face are covered. He'll never have to get them again, but that's not much comfort at this moment in time.

• Advertisement

Ah, the poor little man! It's heartbreaking seeing them sick - my little fella has had bugs, but nothing serious, it must be awful seeing him in distress :(
    Hang on in there - both your kids have had it now, and he'll be on the mend soon enough. Horrible for you both though :-(

Hugo has decided, at five months, that soothers are good!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ah lads, Rory is in so much pain. My heart is broken. Fcuking pox!

He's got such a bad dose, his whole head and face are covered. He'll never have to get them again, but that's not much comfort at this moment in time.

Poor mite. So hard to see them sick. Olivia has been sickly since her 4 month vaccinations on Friday. She has a temperature on and off and is quite lethargic, It's so unlike her. Starting to come around today thankfully.
    nikpmup wrote: »
    Hugo has decided, at five months, that soothers are good!

That's odd. Could be because the reflux is going? Olivia is still not gone on them. Doctor said they can actually aggravate the acid and that Olivia realised this and wouldn't really get into them. Haven't really tried her with one since her reflux has improved though.

I don't know, i keep trying them with him, today he decided to have a good ol suck :)

Little miss independence decided she wanted to feed herself the last bit of her bottle today. She likes to hold the sides usually and has managed to pick it up when it's empty and pop it into her mouth a good few times. Today she managed to hold about a quarter full one and keep it elevated when I left go. She managed to finish the bottle herself. It's probably not a huge milestone I know but I was so surprised by her determination. #proudmammymoment

Thats gas roesy,missy here trys the same but hasnt yet managed it sucesfully so go you!my wait continues:-)

Thats gas roesy,missy here trys the same but hasnt yet managed it sucesfully so go you!my wait continues:-)

It'll probably be like her rolling over from front to back efforts, she did that 4-5 times in a row a couple of weeks ago and stopped doing it again for ages! We got one roll over yesterday but it seemed accidental :)

Roesy wrote: »
    Little miss independence decided she wanted to feed herself the last bit of her bottle today. She likes to hold the sides usually and has managed to pick it up when it's empty and pop it into her mouth a good few times. Today she managed to hold about a quarter full one and keep it elevated when I left go. She managed to finish the bottle herself. It's probably not a huge milestone I know but I was so surprised by her determination. #proudmammymoment

aw! That's so cute, well done Olivia! Hugo's trying the same, hasn't managed to hold it himself yet. Tommee Tippee do handles that fit on the bottles, trying to source them because I reckon he could hold the handles alright.

Tried mashed avocado today. Mixed results!

As suspected, she hasn't tried it since. She did roll over again last night though. She likes to keep us guessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

That's so cute. How handy will it be when they can hold the bottle themselves!
    Nikpump are you giving your LO any water when you give food? In my Annabel karmel book it says to give water or juice at lunch. I'm definitely not going to give juice but I haven't tried water yet. He is on 4 bottles and a tiny bit of fruit in the morning then a bit of veg at lunch time. Might try avacado soon. Had carrot the other day and when I washed his bib it had stains on it! Who knew carrot would stain.

• Advertisement

Carrot stained his spoon! I haven't started to give him water, but I haven't cut down his bottles yet, he's only getting a few spoons of food so it's not quite a meal yet, he's still getting a lunchtime bottle. When the lunchtime bottle goes I'll give water then; that won't be happening until he's getting proper meals. Like you he's on 4 bottles, I give him a bit of baby cereal & fruit mid morning, and a bit of veg in the afternoon. I'm waiting until he turns six months to introduce meat, chicken etc, I'll see how that goes before losing the lunchtime bottle.

My perfect sleeper has turned into... well, not perfect! He's been congested and has a cough, leftover from a cold he had about 3 weeks ago. He goes to bed okay and sleeps until about 4am, but he's been waking up coughing and bunged up, he can't breathe properly and starts to cry. Shushing him and soothing him doesn't work, I have to lift him up and let him fall asleep on my chest. Then it's in & out of the cot for the night. It's been a couple of weeks of this and I'm shattered. Last night I couldn't sleep early in the night, there was a bloody house alarm going off at 2am. He was awake from 4am. I'm praying he goes down for a decent nap so I can too!!

So tired!! I thougt she would never nap today,no idea where she gets the energy

The tiredness is a killer. Quite sinusy at the moment and it's like herself can sense I'm not at full strength. She was a demon to put down for her nap and because I planned to go to town this afternoon she's conked out instead of doing her usual 40-45 minutes. Have to get blackout blinds for her room too. It gets very bright in there and she's waking about half an hour earlier than she used to.

Are those of you who are already introducing food all using Annabel Karmel? Want to pick up a book about weaning and read it in the next couple of weeks before we start with the grub. 18 weeks tomorrow and hoping to get to 20/22 if we can. She looks so longingly at our food but oddly enough seems more transfixed by us drinking.

Were doing 4 seven oz bottles a day. Has been fine up to now so doing a tiny amount of milupa rice at brekkie.
    How many and what size feeds are you guys doing?

My little savage takes 3 8oz and 2 7oz bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

Jeez I hav a tank on my hands! My guy takes 4x7oz bottles, porridge after his morning nap, small dinner mostly veg and potato at lunch time and some kind of fruit, or maybe a rusk at about 6pm. He is gobbling down his food and is always looking for more when I say 'all gone'!!! I'm reluctant to keep feeding him as I'm afraid he'll burst!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Hello girlies,

My slob has 8 x 6oz bottles a day, porriage and home made stewed apple for breakkie, home made veg medley for lunch, so usually butternut squash with sweet potatoe, or broccilli or carrot, but today is home made veg soup.

then in the evening he'll have half a banana and organic baby rice mixed together, and during the day if I think he's hungry I'd give him quarter to half of an avacdo.

He's had lega three times, and only gets wheat once a week (sugar is banned from my house at the moment, so lega is being replaced too)

He's after turning into some buster for a boy who was only 4lb when he was born :)

Rosey they don't recommend introducing solids before 26 weeks, unfortunately alot of PHN's etc have older training and will say you can start from 17 weeks.

I use Annabel Karmel but have also read about 4 other books as well as the HSE recommendations and NHS recommendations, NHS recommend holding off as long as possible and moving to hungrier baby food rather than solids if your LO is hungry.

Annabel Karmel is great, really east to follow recipes and if you enjoy cooking it's not a problem.

FYI you don't need to start with rice it doesnt really have any flavour or nutritional content, pureed carrot etc would be fine.

LONG POST Sorry, guess who's back to work :/

Anyone tell me how much it cost to have your baby minded by a childminder in their own home, other halves mammy as of THIS week is no longer in a position to help us out so he might have to quit his job

Hello girlies,

My slob has 8 x 6oz bottles a day, porriage and home made stewed apple for breakkie, home made veg medley for lunch, so usually butternut squash with sweet potatoe, or broccilli or carrot, but today is home made veg soup.

then in the evening he'll have half a banana and organic baby rice mixed together, and during the day if I think he's hungry I'd give him quarter to half of an avacdo.

He's had lega three times, and only gets wheat once a week (sugar is banned from my house at the moment, so lega is being replaced too)

He's after turning into some buster for a boy who was only 4lb when he was born :)

Rosey they don't recommend introducing solids before 26 weeks, unfortunately alot of PHN's etc have older training and will say you can start from 17 weeks.

I use Annabel Karmel but have also read about 4 other books as well as the HSE recommendations and NHS recommendations, NHS recommend holding off as long as possible and moving to hungrier baby food rather than solids if your LO is hungry.

Annabel Karmel is great, really east to follow recipes and if you enjoy cooking it's not a problem.

FYI you don't need to start with rice it doesnt really have any flavour or nutritional content, pureed carrot etc would be fine.

LONG POST Sorry, guess who's back to work :/

Anyone tell me how much it cost to have your baby minded by a childminder in their own home, other halves mammy as of THIS week is no longer in a position to help us out so he might have to quit his job

Unfortunately the hungry baby formula isn't an option for us as she's on anti reflux milk. I'm going to hold off as close to the 6 months as I can though. She's 18 weeks now and has a lot of the signs of being ready to start though. She has great head control, she's fascinated by us eating and her mouth is going mad when watching us, her hand eye coordination is pretty good etc. I'm just reading up at the moment to see whether to go down the spoon fed or baby led weaning approach. Got the Annabel Karmel book and another one about baby led yesterday so at least I'll be well informed when we get around to starting :) They told us at her reflux checkup, that at 38oz, she was at the upper end of what they'd recommend for her weight formula wise. It was the first time we hadn't gotten the 'she'll take what she needs' line about feeding. It wasn't the consultant we saw last time but a member of her team though. She's a big baby across the board, 80's and 90's percentile wise in terms of weight, length and head circumference. She's always been a hungry little thing even with the silent reflux.

Hope you get sorted with the child care. We are going with a combination of both our mammies to begin with and then if that doesn't work out we'll be looking at a childminder I'd say. Apparently childminding.ie is a good place to start your search anyway.

I'm giving him purées at the moment, in a few weeks I'm going to start finger food and see how he gets on. While I'm happy to try baby led weaning, my mam will absolutely not go there, she's terrified he'll choke! So it'll be a combination of the two whether I want it or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd better start weaning I suppose.

*dying whale noises*

Advertisement