Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I don't like baby led weaning myself, if I was to wait for my child to show interest and start eating himself, we still wouldn't have given him food, he doesnt, seem to care when we eat. I don't think its for every child, little fella does love being given bananas tho

anyone know a good suncream for babies with eczema?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Putting my little bub down for her morning nap usually involves a cuddle, a rock in the rocking chair and a few songs. Usually she gets drowsy or falls asleep at that stage(probably to escape my singing) and I read my kindle for a couple of minutes and I put her down then. Got distracted by my book this morning and next thing I got a slap in the face. Little monster startled in her sleep and her hands went flying. Packed a fair punch for someone so tiny. Of course I snorted laughing which woke her, she looked so indignant but settled quite quickly again thank god.

That sounds super, i miss morning cuddles

It is nice when it goes according to plan and she doesn't fight sleep. It's also a big improvement on the ages we used have to spend walking up and down the hall rocking her :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Hi ladies
    Back from our first trip away and glad to say it all went really great. He was a little legend on the flights both ways, thank god as I was dreading being that poor mommy trying to stop her screaming child for 4hrs!

So we tried some food while away and he loved it, just had baby rice and puréed pear and apple. He literally shoves his head into the spoon and hoovers it up. Tried carrot this eve and he loved it so better get making some more tastes for him now
    . Glad to say he appears to be sleeping longer for us now too (fingers crossed it lasts) so I think the poor thing was starving and I shouldn't have listened to the nurses on holding off.

I have the Annabel kamel book so going to try few things on that. At the moment just giving him something around lunchtime and dinner and breast feeding in between that. Should I do brekkie also so give 3 meals a day?
    When you ladies talk about baby led weaning, what exactly do you mean? Is it that you allow baby to take the spoon and more or less fed themselves? My lad is already grabbing the spoon and after a few days of holding both his hands back as it gets very messy, I gave up n gave him the spoon today. He seemed pretty happy. Very funny watching him eat, it just goes everywhere n he gets very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

anyone know a good suncream for babies with eczema?

La Roche posay is meant to be good for babies and I think it is good for eczema too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

This is a good site to get an idea of baby led weaning http://www.babyledweaning.com

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Made purées today. He has no concept of swallowing yet. Tongue thrust still fully operational!

I'll try again in a week.

I tried avocado again today, this time I mixed a small amount of puréed pear into it to thin it - the last time the avocado wasn't as ripe either. He. Devoured. It. Kicking his legs in delight between each mouthful and squealing. Think it'll be a regular on the menu :)

In other news, my mam was minding him for an hour while I was sorting OH's car.... She decided leaving him to kick with the nappy off was a good idea. Until he peed all over her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

nikpmup wrote: »
    In other news, my mam was minding him for an hour while I was sorting OH's car.... She decided leaving him to kick with the nappy off was a good idea. Until he peed all over her.

Haha my mum always tells me how I hated my younger brother after he was born (he was two years younger than me.)

Then one day I watched him pee all over my mum's best friend ... and all of a sudden I thought he was awesome, I loved him to bits from then on! :D

So Tired. Stolen car screeched into my road last night, got wedged on a kerb right outside my house whereupon the scroats in it chucked a petrol can onto the bonnet and lit a match. Had to call guards and fire service. I was terrified the thing was going to blow up; it was right outside my door. Car was finally towed away at 3am. Baby woke up five minutes later. It's my turn to give himself a lie in, so I'm downstairs since 7.30. Ugh.

Scary stuff nikpmup. Meant to ask, did you get your travel system back when you finally got the car? Would you be able to go for a lie down later when your OH gets up? Himself got up with baby this morning and I may as well have got up myself. The pair of them were squealing and laughing and having a great old time for themselves.

She's in a 6-9 month babygro this morning and there really isn't a lot of spare room in the legs of it. My baby is all grown up!!

No, I still haven't got my car back :-/ The buggy and car seat base are gone from it. I bought a travel system the evening of the burglary, but I really missed my quinny. The pushchair seat part was still in my mam's house; (just the chassis and carrycot were in the car) I was in Smyths one evening and they had a floor model pink quinny buzz for sale for €179. Bought it and put my pushchair seat on it - hey presto! New quinny! And I have a pink seat for next time if it's a girl - I can just buy a carrycot. I'm trying to sell the other travel system I bought on adverts.ie, I only used it for six weeks. No takers yet. (Anyone know of anyone who wants a red travel system & isofix base for €240, send them my direction!)

I'll try and have a snooze later. OH has a week off so we'll spend the week alternating lie ins :) We're going away for two nights on Tuesday, my sister is taking him. While I have serious mammy guilts, I'm yearning for two nights uninterrupted sleep!! Think I'll order breakfast in bed too :D

My lad has been in 6-9mth sleepsuits and some clothes for a few weeks now. Big buachaill!!

Can't believe you are still without your car! Does the insurance company provide a rental or anything or are you just making do? I don't know why the 6-9 month babygro is surprising me. She's really long, I've been dressing her in footless and separates a lot more lately so I suppose its just the fact that when I opened that packet a week or two ago to wash them they seemed really big. Now that I see her in it she won't have long at all in them, they won't even get her to 5 months never mind 9 months :)

Your night away has reminded me that we have a voucher for a night in the Castlemartyr Resort which should have been used by December. They extended it to the end of this month and we still haven't booked it yet. Better get onto the grandparents and organise it.

Just making do, they've given me the choice of taking a cheque or repairing the car, think I'll take the cheque. They valued the car at €4k :-/ Not much car available for that!!

First tooth cut through this morning. I'm ridiculously proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Hi ladies, hope everyone is well. Just wondering if any of ye would have an answer to our new issue!! Samuel nearly 5 months old but the last week or so he wakes at bout 3:30 am. I doesnt seem to be hunger because if it was hed start crying. I usually spend half hr or more putting in the dummy to try settle him back. He'l go back to sleep but its broken and by 6 am hes in the bed between us. He is usually in bed at 8 at night time. He is on solids the last 3 weeks and loves it. Any ideas or solutions would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

naughto wrote: »
    Hi ladies, hope everyone is well. Just wondering if any of ye would have an answer to our new issue!! Samuel nearly 5 months old but the last week or so he wakes at bout 3:30 am. I doesnt seem to be hunger because if it was hed start crying. I usually spend half hr or more putting in the dummy to try settle him back. He'l go back to sleep but its broken and by 6 am hes in the bed between us. He is usually in bed at 8 at night time. He is on solids the last 3 weeks and loves it. Any ideas or solutions would be great

we've been having the same problem with our four month old for more than three weeks! We're wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Is there a four month sleep regression or something?
    I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what routines you have? We have pretty much just a bedtime routine he goes to bed about 7:30/8:00 until 7:00 am then he has his first bottle about 7:30 and a bit of breakfast at 8:30 then a nap but apart from that our days differ all the time depending on what we are up to. It's not really bothering me but I might need a part time childminder when I go back to work and I would like to tell them he eats at such a time then naps at another time etc.

• Advertisement

Our wee man wakes any time between 5 and 7... I usually take him into the bed where he'll snooze until about 7.30. Then it's a bottle, he'll play until about 9.30/9.45 when he'll start to get cranky. Nap time for about 30 mins, after which he'll have baby porridge and fruit. Play till 12, bottle, then a nap, about an hour. Play till 3.30, bit of dinner (puréed veg) and a bottle at 4. Play, another nap around the 6pm mark. Play/bath, bottle at 7.30, pjs and bed for 8pm!

The only bits that are set in stone a his bottle/food times and his morning nap. "Play" can mean tummy time, lying on a mat, being pushed around the shops or any other number of things that I'm doing on any given day!

Naughto, our fella was doing the same, but he's settled back to waking later, it's about 5/6am, and he'll come into the bed for a snooze.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

we got a routine going with Zosia for the past month or so. She starts stirring around 7, i take her to bed for nap till 8.30 (cant get up before that or im a zombie:), little bed play time 9am bottle than play time till 10-10.30 nap for 1hr, porridge at 12 followed by bottle at 1pm, more play time and nap at 2 till 3pm, baby food(veggie puree) at 4 followed by bottle at 5 and nap at 5.30 till 6.30 (daddy gets back from work:) so play time :), bath around 8pm and than bottle at 9pm and sleep time straight after that. Now, i usually give her a night feed around 3am coz she starts stirring, and id rather feed her than and be able to sleep till 8.30 than have her sleep through and be up and ready for the day ahead at 6 am :/
    so its 9am/1pm/5pm/9pm/3am bottle, 12/4pm baby food and 10.30/2pm/5.30pm nap times for 1hr :)
    works for us:)

We're just wrapping up a lovely break in the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore. It was lovely, food was amazing. I'm mentally and physically rested :) Miss the little man like crazy though! We'll be picking him up about 4pm.

nikpmup wrote: »
    We're just wrapping up a lovely break in the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore. It was lovely, food was amazing. I'm mentally and physically rested :) Miss the little man like crazy though! We'll be picking him up about 4pm.

We went there in July. Swore I'd go back when I wasn't pregnant to try the tasting menu. Food is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Glad you had a great time nikpump. Well deserved!
    I feel a bit crap about my LOs routine now. I'm gonna write down his naps and bottles for a few day see if there is a pattern. There probably is but I'm not seeing it! He hasn't been loving the food the last couple of days he is eating it but there is none of the enthusiasm that was there when we started weaning. Trying lots of different foods so I don't think he is bored.

Roesy wrote: »
    We went there in July. Swore I'd go back when I wasn't pregnant to try the tasting menu. Food is fantastic!

I must have said to himself ten times during the meal that I was so glad I wasn't pregnant! There was loads on the tasting menu I wouldn't have been able to eat, as well as all the booze!

Second tooth cut yesterday! You wait for ages and ages then two come at once..... :D

Glad you had a great time nikpump. Well deserved!
    I feel a bit crap about my LOs routine now. I'm gonna write down his naps and bottles for a few day see if there is a pattern. There probably is but I'm not seeing it! He hasn't been loving the food the last couple of days he is eating it but there is none of the enthusiasm that was there when we started weaning. Trying lots of different foods so I don't think he is bored.

lolademmers, I didn't instigate or force any kind of routine on him, he just sort of fell into it and I went along. He'll find his way; what works well for one baby wouldn't work for another. And babies are adaptable - my little man's routine was all out of kilter the last two days as my sister had him, but he seems to be reverting back today (fingers crossed!) Don't feel bad about it - parenting a baby is hard enough without giving yourself a hard time :) As far as the food goes, I think they go through phases, and in the early days especially, you need to look at progress in terms of weeks and months instead of meal by meal. He's still eating the food so that's a good sign. Maybe try changing the texture or temperature? I know I've discovered my fella seems to like a slightly thicker puree (as opposed to the almost runny consistency the Annabel Karmel book advised) and he prefers food room temperature, not warm.

Ohh booze, I miss that, sweet Jameson hasn't passed my lips since new years eve 2012...

I'm so jealous your LO has got teeth poor auld Dorian is still a toothless wonder but we can see the white at the edge of the gum for 6 teeth, I'd say when they come there'll be a lump of them at once!

Sooo I'm researching car seats, any suggestions on rear facing car seats that are suitable up until 18kg?

• Advertisement

If you need to change anything in baba's timeline change it 15 minutes at a time over 4 days then another 15 minutes, any longer than that and it wont effect baba.
    Like moving bed time from 9.30 to 9 should be done by moving it to 9.15 for 4 days then to 9 there after.

Routine?

We wake at 5.30/6 have a bottle and he goes back to sleep until 9/9.30 at which point there's a bit of playing on the floor, followed by porridge 4oz and a nap at half 10.

11 is game time, or hanging out in his entertainment system usually by himself
    Then mositurising and cleaning etc - ezcema is getting worse by the day
    then some tummy time

bottle, and half a nana at about 12.30

another nap, about 20 mins

1pm is book or play time

1.30 we'll go for a walk or go outside in this weather

3pm we make lunch for me/daddy and have a bottle.

play time again, usually just on the floor moisturizing

6pm dinner and a bottle and a nap ususally 15 to 20 mins

play time with who ever was at work and mositurizing etc

8pm is rice and nanas and another bottle

followed by some quiet time on the bed and a story about hiding a lion! and sleep at 9 ish...

andddddddddd repeat!

Advertisement