Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Our routine was determined by Olivia. She wakes around 7/7.30, is changed and has a bottle. She goes in the bouncer for about 20 minutes then while I get dressed and grab my own breakfast. At that stage she is usually sick of the bouncer and telly so we have a potter around the house doing a few bits and then have a bit of a play(tummy time/story/swing etc). About 2-2 1/2 hours after she wakes she's ready for a nap. She sleeps for about 40 minutes and has a bottle within 30 minutes of waking again. The rest of the day follows a similar pattern. We usually go for a walk in the afternoon or do shopping or any other out of the house errands. I try to get us out and about any day we don't have someone calling. We usually start winding down for bedtime around 7.15 if she's having a bath, which she tends to do most evenings now. We got into that habit when her reflux was bad as it tended to relax her. She goes into her grobag, has a bottle and is usually down for the night between 7.30 and 8.

The teeth are driving her daft the last couple of days. She has two just about to poke through the surface. I can't wait for them to poke through and give her a bit of relief.

Prompted by jealousy of nikpmups nights away and the need to use a voucher that expires at the end of this month, I just booked a night in the Castlemartyr Resort for next weekend. Can't wait, nice room, great food and a lie in!!!!! Might even see can I splash out on a massage before unpaid leave kicks in and I'm completely broke. I'm really looking forward to it as I'm in hospital for some tests on Thursday and have been worrying about them on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Ohh enjoy it Rosey, it's lovely and the grounds are great for a walk we take the small guy strolling there... :)

good luck in hospital xx

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Thanks guys for the routine advice.
    Also so jealous of your LOs teeth nikpump! My guy had had the red cheeks for seriously two months. Bad dribbling and nappys some days too. Getting sick of the 'oh is he teething ' questions!! I'm expecting to wake up some day to a baby with a full set of teeth haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

His literally popped up out of nowhere one morning, I couldn't see them one morning and the next they were up.
    Roesy, enjoy! I'm seriously mentally and physically rested after the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Enjoy roesy! Well deserved.
    Ye have me thinking I might book something,realy realy need a sleep.
    Havent left baby for more than a few hours yet though,terrified to leave her over night.

Okay, so I'm back on the folic acid and checking OPK's...... Am I mad??!!!

Ok you go first then I might consider it ha!

Been back on folic acid since mid January...just in case :p No opks though!

What are opks? I probably should know or its something really obvious,i still suffer pregnancy brain;-)
    Any of you ladies brave the next sale? I was lazy and went late in the day,got a couple of nice tops and bottoms and of course ended up buying full price summer bits. I couldnt resist.

• Advertisement

What are opks? I probably should know or its something really obvious,i still suffer pregnancy brain;-)
    Any of you ladies brave the next sale? I was lazy and went late in the day,got a couple of nice tops and bottoms and of course ended up buying full price summer bits. I couldnt resist.

OPK's - ovulation predictor kits :0

Didn't go near Next, couldn't be bothered fighting over the last bits on the rail!

I have an app on my phone that tells me when I should be ovulating based on when my periods are. Worked for me the last time anyway!
    Didn't go near the next sale but I might go Tuesday and see if there are many returns. I have loads of gift cards for him so might get some older clothes.

nikpmup wrote: »
    OPK's - ovulation predictor kits :0

Didn't go near Next, couldn't be bothered fighting over the last bits on the rail!

Thanks, id never even heard of them! Learn something new everyday.
    Sale was no great shakes I gave into the hype and had to go see for myself. I did go very late though so maybe I needed to be there at opening time. Our routine is totally out of kilter due to teething so after being up at five wasnt going to next for half six to queue.

I have an app on my phone that tells me when I should be ovulating based on when my periods are. Worked for me the last time anyway!
    Didn't go near the next sale but I might go Tuesday and see if there are many returns. I have loads of gift cards for him so might get some older clothes.

I've a similar app but it's way off; said I should have ovulated a week ago when the OPK says it should be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Oh I'm well jealous of the nights away, love castlemarytr it's fab enjoy. Haven't left him with anyone yet (other than hubbie for an hour or so). Would love a break or night out but keep saying need to wait til have him in proper routine n just when think we have it Sussed he changes it up on us to keep us guessing!!

Some of your daily routines sound great and like you are all flying it. I still feel like I'm struggling getting a proper idea of naps and times during the day, like some days he will nap for me properly and other days he will fight the sleep and might only eventually go to sleep if we are out in the car or pram! When we have a good day I try to replicate everything the next day but naps don't go as well! I don't know why! I'm really failing on the napping for longer than 40mins.

No teeth here yet but dribbles galore!

Went to my first proper exercise class in a long time tonight n my arms already feel like they are about to fall off, I think I'm going to be in pain tomorrow!

Oh and yes you are crazy to be even thinking of it, couldn't imagine another 1 just yet!! Although some say to get the out in quick succession is easier in long run.......mmmm not so sure I could handle even less sleeps!!

Knock13 I'm the very same with routines. If I go shopping is something he sleeps better coz he is in the car. Then if we stay at home for the day he will have more naps but shorter times.
    A friend of mine is a midwife and she was asking me about routines at the weekend. I told her and she said 'oh that's great you are baby led'. I was like ok if that's what it's called great!!
    I don't want to be too fixed in a routine really. My friend has a younger baby than me and one day the LO was crying and I suggested she might be hungry. My friend replied ' oh she is not due a feed for half an hour'. The poor baby was only a few weeks old at this stage.
    My only reasoning for getting some sort of a routine is when I'm back at work I can tell whomever is minding him that he sleeps and ears at such times but I think I will just tell them he eats when he is hungry and sleeps when he is tired!! Give or take an hour the times are pretty much the same really anyway but there is the odd day he likes to surprise !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I don't know if you ladies have heard of this, and it might not suit your babas but there's a sleeping pattern that's called 2-3-4 routine. Basically, bubs wakes up and two hours later, they'll go down for a nap. When they wake up again, three hours after that they go for another nap. When they wake from that one, four hours later is bedtime. I uses it one day as a trial and I found A was getting tired on those ques so I incorporated it and it works! :) sometimes you have to add in a third nap depending on what time they get up at! Just thought I'd mention it :)

The naps are still a battle for us. She does usually want one about 2-2 1/1 hrs after waking but is very hard to get to go for one. Usually involves rocking in the chair(with me) or walking the halls(my husband) and the naps only last about 30-45 mins. We've probably given her a bad habit but it was the only way she'd sleep when the reflux and colic were bad. Trying to get her out of it is a nightmare. I've abandoned trying to change it for a few days now as she is demented with her teeth. She has tiny, hard tips of two poking through on the bottom so I reckon she needs all the comfort she can get. I don't fancy cry it out as a method, especially as she goes down so easily at night. I'd love just to sort napping especially for when others are minding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I hate the idea of letting them cry, to be honest id prefer baba to trust me than deal with the pain on their own.

Rosey we have a fisherprice bouncer that vibrates, we put a wooly blanket on it and turn the vibrate on, but himself on it and cover him, rock it with or feet for a couple of minutes and he usually nods off quickly, have you tried something like that?

Could help?

Naps were a nitemare here too,put teddy in with her last week she strokes grabs and whacks him around and oddly enough goes right to sleep its like the soft fur comforts her,same at night wont go down without teddy. I even used her fur hat yesterday same result:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Glad to hear others find the naps tough. I decided I would stay home today to start trying to get him into routine of not just napping in pram or car. Brought him up to darkened room to give him a feed n then nap as he was rubbing his eyes and needed to sleep. Put him down n he kicked off, picked him up cuddled put back down a few times, decided I needed to get tough n let him cry n that was disaster. He has just stopped crying and now feeding n I'm crying, I'm worn out completely. I just can't do that cry it out method. I think I just need to sleep but hard to come by when baby won't sleep unless walking and was up a lot last night! It's going to be one of those days I think! Probably will get him into the pram in while as I don't think I can handle another screaming episode, can't seem to break this cycle! Sorry for the moan at least I feel someone is listening

D'yknow what? Whatever works. If he'll only nap in the car/buggy/wherever - let him nap there! I got a mouthful off my PHN because he wasn't napping well during the day, ''oh he'll HAVE to nap at 11am for two hours, what happens when he's in the childminders, they have to put him down and he has to have two hours nap..'' etc etc. Well, first off - if I'm paying a childminder, then they can bloomin well work with me and him to find a napping routine that works for everyone, I'm not going to force him into a routine to convenience someone that I'm paying! Secondly, he's finding his rhythm - he has a 30 min nap on his beanbag in the morning about 9.30, about an hour after lunch and another 30 mins in the evening, and bed around 8pm. He's worked that out for himself, it's what he needs and I'm happy to go along with it.
    When his routine has to change, if you're going back to work or whatever, then it'll change. He'll adapt. You need the rest as much as he does - a stressed out, knackered mammy is in no shape to start trying to get him into a routine.

Last week I started writing down every nap and feed coz I just thought there was no rhyme or reason to his routine. If you asked me what time he slept yesterday I wouldn't have been able to tell my memory is that bad! So I wrote it down and it turns out there is a slight routine there. He has a short 30/45 minute nap in the morning and the evening and a longer hour/hour and a half in the afternoon. It works for him he sleeps great at night.
    I know that sounds so stupid that I had to write it down but sometimes you need to see it in black and white to realise it.
    Some days he might sleep more some less. Some days he wants more bottles some dats he wants less. That's ok he is a baby not a machine.

Last week I started writing down every nap and feed coz I just thought there was no rhyme or reason to his routine. If you asked me what time he slept yesterday I wouldn't have been able to tell my memory is that bad! So I wrote it down and it turns out there is a slight routine there. He has a short 30/45 minute nap in the morning and the evening and a longer hour/hour and a half in the afternoon. It works for him he sleeps great at night.
    I know that sounds so stupid that I had to write it down but sometimes you need to see it in black and white to realise it.
    Some days he might sleep more some less. Some days he wants more bottles some dats he wants less. That's ok he is a baby not a machine.

That sounds very like my little man's routine, and he sleeps fairly well at night too (barring his current penchant for waking up at 3am to rub his gums and squeal!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I never realised this thread was still going until I saw it on the front page just now. I should have been coming on here all along instead of searching random threads on the Newborn & Toddlers forum!

If anyone is interested, here's my summary:

My boy is 5.5 months now. He's gigantic, weighs about 20lbs and is very long. Some days I feel like he is stronger than me! He has two teeth, first one cut about two weeks ago and the second one followed a few days later. He is a great napper but shocking at night. He wakes pretty much every 2-3 hours to use me as an all night diner. I've had about 10 good nights where he only woke twice and one single night since he was born that he only woke once. He's getting better though and I have him in a co-sleeper cot or in the bed with me so I've gotten used to falling back to sleep quickly.

Mainly to try and improve sleeping, I started him on solids at 19 weeks. Took it very slowly for about a month and have stepped it up with the last two weeks. We are on three small meals a day with plenty of breastfeeds. He will eat anything I give him - beetroot, avocado, chicken... Don't really have a plan in place, just trying to add something new every two days. When he gets to six months, I'll feel a bit more confident. It's going great though, no reactions or upsets from anything.

Found 3-4 month period the most difficult, mainly due to sleep deprivation but have loved the last month. It's such an exciting time with so many developments. Im starting to take more time for myself too and not as tied by the breast feeding. He takes a bottle of expressed milk with gusto thankfully. My partner is super.

I look forward to reading back over the posts. Wish I'd thought of this thread earlier!

Poor little man has a tummy bug, I think. He's puked several times yesterday and today - proper pukes, not just refluxy pukes - and he's not having much in the way of wet nappies. He had a dry, hard poo this morning as well, really vile smelling. I'm trying to give him cooled boiled water between feeds but he's not really digging it. He's all out of kilter and so am I.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

:(

The poor little guy. And poor mammy.

Ah, starting to get worried now. He's thrown up loads and nappies are barely wet. Doc in the morning I think.

Poor little thing. Would you try a little sugar in the water to see would he take that any easier and keep him a little more hydrated until ye see the doctor in the morning or you could always head whatever the Dublin version of South Doc if you're very worried.

Spent the whole day getting poked and prodded having tests and generally feel putrid after it. Seeing munchkin all happy and smily in the bath when I came definitely took some of the yuck from the day.

• Advertisement

Just remembered half an hour ago that Hugo's Nana added him to her VHI policy, and I could have rang Nurseline for advice :rolleyes: :cool: He's in bed now, I'll ring them in the morning if he's still not well.

Advertisement