Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My guy is six months tomorrow. We are well on our way with solids. He adores his food. Yesterday's dinner was pasta, salmon, carrot and cottage cheese. Today he had sweet potato, turkey mince and broccoli with some stewed apple for dessert. I've given him boiled duck eggs for lunch a few days and breakfast is Ready Brek with melon or strawberry. I keep the food quite lumpy and I hope it's okay. We are going on holidays next month and won't have self catering so was going to bring some pouches but I tried one of the Annabelle Karmel Stage 2 ones (Moroccan Chicken) and thought it was extremely watery. I will try an Ella's Kitchen to see if they are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Starting to make my guys food a bit lumpier. He gagged a bit and I got a bit of a fright so I'm hoping it won't continue like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hanna.v

i think baba is teething ?...she has been crying all the time for the last 3 days, i cant put her down to do anything coz she starts screaming and crying....she also has a stuffy/runny nose for about a week now and has tiny patch of dribble rash on her chin...is that it than or is she just goin bananas for some other reason? im exhausted from all the attention seeking and tears and sad to see her so unhappy. do you think it is teeth coming? so far cant see any...how long it took for ur babies once symptoms started? :(

My LO has been teething for weeks I'm not joking! A tooth finally broke through the other day. On his bad days he would be dribbling a lot,wanting to be held, off his bottles, putting his hands in his mouth. He got a bit of a rash under his chin from the drool but it cleared quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

We had our first tooth around the 5 month mark and heavy drooling, chewing etc was going on for months but nothing bad so far (well maybe the months of constant waking at night were due to teething so that was pretty bad I guess!). I find it quite hard to determine if general crankiness is caused by teething pain as he is easily distracted from it. I did notice that he didn't want to nurse from one side for a while so maybe it was catching a sore spot from one angle.
    I think we might be having a third tooth soon. He has a dark blister on his top gum, an eruption blister the internet tells me but I've heard they can appear and disappear without a tooth cutting so we'll see. I am nervous about biting once the top teeth arrive. I heard some nipple-mutilation horror stories :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

First day at creche tomorrow for my little darling. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My little lady got her first tooth at 18/19 weeks and the second one came through a few days later. She had been chewing her fist, gnawing and drooling for month or more before it. It did get worse the few days around each one coming through and she was cranky for a week or two too. The doctor spotted a white bud at her 6 week check up though. Think she might have another on the way judging by the increase in drool and red cheeks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Starting to make my guys food a bit lumpier. He gagged a bit and I got a bit of a fright so I'm hoping it won't continue like that.

Apparently the gag reflex is further forward in the mouth in young babies, and it moves toward the back of the mouth as they get older, so that they can learn to chew and swallow without danger of choking - a gag is them learning to cope with bigger pieces of food. My mother has a terrible fear of babies choking which she's passed on to me despite my best efforts to resist :-/
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    First day at creche tomorrow for my little darling. <3

Aw, hope he gets on okay! As I get nearer to returning to work I get more and more freaked out and upset :( Really need to win the lotto in the next two weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

Advice needed again! My guy was doing super in the cot at night, going 9 hours straight, that was until he started teething like crazy past 3 weeks. He is waking every 2 hours or so, takes a while to settle him back, with majority of nights he's ending up in out bed at around the 4.30am mark. It seems he needs something close to his face for comfort, be it our hands or our duvet, (he lies on top of the duvet as I don't take him out of his gro-bag)
    I'm wondering what I can use to settle him back in the cot. I'm afraid to put blankets around his head/face, he already uses a teddy thingy which he holds in both hands. I know he is teething like mad and just wants cuddles which I've no bother doing!! But this teething cud go on for a while so wud like to know if I can do something more for him when he is in his own cot!!

If you find out the answer, let me know... our lad ends up in the bed most nights as well. While in theory, I'd like for him to learn to self-soothe and go back to sleep, in practice, at 4.30am, it is the easiest option to just lift him into our bed. This morning he was singing and squealing from 5.30am :-/ It's gonna be a looooong day!

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    If you find out the answer, let me know... our lad ends up in the bed most nights as well. While in theory, I'd like for him to learn to self-soothe and go back to sleep, in practice, at 4.30am, it is the easiest option to just lift him into our bed. This morning he was singing and squealing from 5.30am :-/ It's gonna be a looooong day!

As was my guy!! Wud love to have this sorted before I return to work in two weeks. #notgonnahappen!!!!!!

I let Rory have the cellular blanket to pull up to his face. It's thin and full of holes.

First morning at crèche was a bit up and down. He made strange, then was upset when I came back and he saw me. Grand again now. More fun tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I let Rory have the cellular blanket to pull up to his face. It's thin and full of holes.

First morning at crèche was a bit up and down. He made strange, then was upset when I came back and he saw me. Grand again now. More fun tomorrow.

Was thinking of you today with first day of creche. We have it in a few weeks.
    Same here re blanket,it soothes her I just keep a close eye.

I must try the blanket, thanks for that!

Also feeling your pain re creche and back to work, I've been sending Him to the childminder for a few hours every day to get used to it and it kills me. Every day. Lord knows how ill cope when I'm back to work full time. Oh and I will b fighting over who gets to feed him his bedtime bottle!!

Spoke to the childminder today and tonight got very upset about it. God I wish I could stay home. Is everyone else going back to work full time aswell?

Yup

Spoke to the childminder today and tonight got very upset about it. God I wish I could stay home. Is everyone else going back to work full time aswell?

Yep

Back the end of June for a couple of days and then off for the summer so it'll be September before I'm back full time really. Hoping the grandparents will be taking care of bubs when I do go back. We're hoping to iron out the details between both sets this week so if either have changed their minds we can start looking at alternatives.

A full month and a half after rolling from front to back Olivia has decided that it's cool again and has learned how to go from back to front. I now hate having all wooden floors. I feel like bubble wrapping her but will have to make do with getting a bigger, more padded play mat I suppose.

Roesy wrote: »
    Back the end of June for a couple of days and then off for the summer so it'll be September before I'm back full time really. Hoping the grandparents will be taking care of bubs when I do go back. We're hoping to iron out the details between both sets this week so if either have changed their minds we can start looking at alternatives.

A full month and a half after rolling from front to back Olivia has decided that it's cool again and has learned how to go from back to front. I now hate having all wooden floors. I feel like bubble wrapping her but will have to make do with getting a bigger, more padded play mat I suppose.

I bought giant sort of foam mats that click together like a jigsaw in smyths, I leave him rolling around on those; I also bought a big cheap rug for the sitting room floor in ikea, he's happy out on it, and it doesn't matter if it gets puked on, it can be thrown out when he's finished learning to crawl.

I did the same as you nikpmup. I love the foam mats,good for mammys backside getting down to play with her too.
    Noticing the nappys the poo ones thicker now since introducing the spoon.
    Gone a bit backwards with sleep shes waking now every hour or so. Jabs were fine a little whimper but that was it :-)

• Advertisement

So, I managed to whack my sons head not once, but twice today :-/ This morning, he was sitting playing on the carpet in the bedroom, I don't know how he did it but he managed to fall backwards from sitting against me and bumped his head on the floor. Not a terrible hard bump, no mark but he wailed all the same. This evening, he was in the jumperoo thing in the kitchen - I have an upright cordless vacuum cleaner thing that's heavy enough, it randomly fell over and bounced off his head. I nearly threw up on the spot, he started crying so hard I thought he was going to pass out from not breathing. He's sporting a fine bump on his forehead despite holding an ice pack on it for 40 minutes. He's fine otherwise. I'm not :(

Aw im so sorry to hear that nikpmup! Youprobably needed comforting as much_as he did after that. I bumped herself when she was six weeks not hard but enough to turn my stomach.she jerked backwards and made contact with the door.

I had a sickening dream about 3 weeks ago that I had him in the bumbo chair on the kitchen table, and that he tipped over and fell off the table and his head cracked open like an egg. I actually lurched forwards in bed gasping in fear it was that realistic.

I've always been a bit of a sleep mentalist but pregnancy and motherhood have made me worse definitely. The talking in my sleep has worsened significantly and about 3-4 nights out of 7 I'll dream that she's fallen down the side of the bed and I can't find her or she's gotten tangled up in our quilt and I start grabbing to find her and calling my husband to help me find her. The funny thing is she has never slept in the bed with us!!!

What are ye dressing the babies in in this warmer weather?

Olivia has grown out of her baby bath and is possibly too big for the bath sling, I don't want to start using a bath seat in the big bath yet. Doesn't seem as comfortable and as relaxing, also seems like a waste of water. Anyone one seen any bigger sling seat or baby bath or have any other handy solution for me? She loves her baths!! So cute, she sighs when you put her in. It's like 'ahhh, the end of a tough day, now to relax!'

I thought I was the only one still using my baby bath! Every one said oh you will only use it for a few weeks. 6 months later still going strong! I was gonna get one of those seats but get a sponge too so his bits dont get squashed against the bar between his legs!!
    I wonder would it fit in the kitchen sink? That way you use less water and mammys back won't broken bendjng down?

I thought I was the only one still using my baby bath! Every one said oh you will only use it for a few weeks. 6 months later still going strong! I was gonna get one of those seats but get a sponge too so his bits dont get squashed against the bar between his legs!!
    I wonder would it fit in the kitchen sink? That way you use less water and mammys back won't broken bendjng down?

I was going to buy one of those bath seats but never thought about the bar squishing his bits! Ouch! Will have a rethink! I inherited a pretty big baby bath from my sister so there's loads of room in it yet. And yes, now that we'll be paying for water I definitely want to use less!!

nikpmup wrote: »
    I was going to buy one of those bath seats but never thought about the bar squishing his bits! Ouch! Will have a rethink! I inherited a pretty big baby bath from my sister so there's loads of room in it yet. And yes, now that we'll be paying for water I definitely want to use less!!

What make is the baby bath?

Do any of you use grobags for naps? Seems like hassle but she's mad moving around and when I picked her up from her morning snooze she had 1 arm and both legs stuck through different bars and was clutching another bar with her free hand....ridiculous!!

Grandad has just collected her and I have a spa afternoon, dinner and tickets to Grease tonight. Instead of getting ready to go I'm on the net looking up floor coverings and baby baths and wondering whether the nice spa therapist will be judging me on my caterpillar eyebrows. Been meaning to get at them all week. Now worried if I pluck them now the facial will irritate them later.

Roesy wrote: »
    What make is the baby bath?

Do any of you use grobags for naps? Seems like hassle but she's mad moving around and when I picked her up from her morning snooze she had 1 arm and both legs stuck through different bars and was clutching another bar with her free hand....ridiculous!!

Grandad has just collected her and I have a spa afternoon, dinner and tickets to Grease tonight. Instead of getting ready to go I'm on the net looking up floor coverings and baby baths and wondering whether the nice spa therapist will be judging me on my caterpillar eyebrows. Been meaning to get at them all week. Now worried if I pluck them now the facial will irritate them later.

I've no idea what make it is, it's just a big yellow one! I'll ask her when I see her.

I have just bought a 1 tog grobag for the warmer months, but I use it for daytime naps. It's one that has shoulder poppers so it's easy to get him into it.

Enjoy your day! Sounds fab - leave the eyebrows, you don't want your face all irritated!!

oh yes, and the floor mats I got are something like this , they're grand and spongy. Got a set for granny's house as well.

We use grobags for naps.

The simple babybath is lovely by the way.

Also, I'm back at work. Halfway there now. Has been pretty nice.

• Advertisement

We use the grobags there brilliant,well it works well for us,no more legs through the bars and blankets everywhere but on her body.
    Im such a bad mammy ive only started dressing her in outfits now.it was babygrow all day. I have her in jeans and combats wit long sleeve tops,im putting her hoodie on instead of heavy coat the odd day.
    Our lady has well outgrown the bath too but unsure if we'l get a bathseat yet.
    How was it going back das kitty?

Advertisement