Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2013 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's been grand. I got my crying out of the way on Monday. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's been grand. I got my crying out of the way on Monday. :pac:

:( I know I'm going to make a tit of myself when I go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

nikpmup wrote: »
    :( I know I'm going to make a tit of myself when I go back!

Heres your twin so. I actually use my brain very little at home so I think work are in for a shock. Why didnt we take the full unpaid sixteen weeks!!!

Just wondering have any of you moved to the next car seat up yet?

No, there's still plenty of room above his head in the group 1.

I'll be keeping him in it as long as I can.

• Advertisement

Met up with some girls from work today for lunch, as you can imagine there was a lot of work-related gossip and chat. All it made me feel was heartsick at the thought of going back. I never liked the place to begin with, I'm going to be just miserable now :(

I had that meet up a few weeks back and felt the same,sick in the pit of my stomach. I think had I not started making a baby I would have left in december 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've no idea what make it is, it's just a big yellow one! I'll ask her when I see her.

I have just bought a 1 tog grobag for the warmer months, but I use it for daytime naps. It's one that has shoulder poppers so it's easy to get him into it.

Enjoy your day! Sounds fab - leave the eyebrows, you don't want your face all irritated!!

oh yes, and the floor mats I got are something like this , they're grand and spongy. Got a set for granny's house as well.

OH picked up something similar yesterday and the difference having the space to properly roll seems to have already made is unreal. She travelled about 3ft rolling from front to back and back to front again!!
    Just wondering have any of you moved to the next car seat up yet?

My husband is one of these people who researches absolutely every purchase so you can imagine what he's like about something relating to the safety of his firstborn! He's on the case about this at the moment. We won't move her for a little while as she has a little bit left above her head but we'll have one picked out/bought for when the time comes. I'd like the Britax dualfix but it seems really, really pricy.
    Met up with some girls from work today for lunch, as you can imagine there was a lot of work-related gossip and chat. All it made me feel was heartsick at the thought of going back. I never liked the place to begin with, I'm going to be just miserable now :(

I love teaching but definitely preferred my old, tougher school. The staff in the new place are nice but I have no close friendships like I had in my old place so it'll be hard to go back. Saying that, I think I'll enjoy the work when I get back into(unless I get a nightmare class!) it plus the holidays are great and within in reason there'll be a certain amount of work I can take home to do in the evenings when she goes to bed instead of staying as long after school.

Had our first trip to South Doc last night. Poor thing was miserable and seems to be finding it impossible to shake whatever she has the last couple of weeks. Thought it was a cold up until yesterday evening. She was bringing up loads of mucous, choking a little on her bottles and her breathing sounded different so I rang them and they said come in. The doctor examined her and thankfully her chest was clear. She reckons she's got a viral thing and her reflux is aggravated or worsening. She recommended watering down her bottles so she wouldn't be choking on them and would get more fluid. When I mentioned that she was on anti reflux formula and that watering it down would defeat the purpose of giving her a thickened formula, especially as currently seems more refluxy she suggested putting gaviscon in it. I then mentioned that I had been told that I couldn't put gaviscon in anti reflux formula she said she couldn't see why it would be a problem. Gaviscon thickens ordinary formula, she wanted to water down her thickened formula and then add something that would thicken it?!? We had also been told that gaviscon and Zantac, which she's on, was a no-no too. I was just reassured that her chest was okay. we have been using a humidifier, tube nasal suction thingy and giving her little sips of water every so often between her bottle. She seems a little better this morning but not herself still. She's a robust little thing, so full of movement and mischief and has never been sick really aside from the reflux so it's horrible to see her so miserable.

Ah, the poor little thing. Hope she gets better quickly. Sounds like what Hugo had over the winter, really congested. Alternate calpol and neurofen every 3 hours. As for the reflux advice, I'd be giving her paediatrician a ring and seeking his opinion. Hopefully in a few days she'll be feeling better and it'll subside.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that roesy. How is she today? Hope she gets better soon!

She's a little more herself this evening thankfully. She turned on her side in her sleep last night. I put her on her back again because I was afraid she'd roll on her front and wake herself as she forgets how to go from front to back sometimes!! Should I leave her on her side if she does it again I wonder? She's sitting up for longer now but gets a bit too cocky and reaches for something and goes flying forward. It's funny, she looked like a little gorilla tripod sitting up until a couple of days ago :)

Yet again Roesy, the kids are copying each other - Hugo was at that craic last night too! He's the same with sitting, is okay sitting up, but if he sees something he wants off to the side or in front, he just pitches towards it, arms outstretched, and looks indignant when he ends up arse over tit!

It seems my little man has taken a big backwards step in terms of eating and sleeping :-/ Refusing food all day yesterday, and awake since 3am. Very tired mammy today. He's busy playing with the end of the curtains and I haven't the energy to stop him!

Do any of you who's babas have teeth brush them? I bought the dentinox teething toothpaste and I've been cleaning his two little teeth morning and evening, as well as rubbing the little brush around his gums. I'm worried he might be swallowing the toothpaste (I only use a tiny amount) Does he even need the paste or is the brushing enough? Since he's eating food his breath smells like.... Well, like someone who's been eating all day!

Also, I think he may be a lefty :) I've been noticing he seems to favour his left hand. Could just be one of those things; my older sister is left handed though. It'll be interesting to see.

No teeth here, but we didn't start brushing James' properly until the molars started coming. That was on the advice of the dentist, but I might do differently this time. Rory is far less drooly than James was and I'd be concerned the flow wouldn't be enough to keep his teeth protected.

He had his first full creche day yesterday. Loved every second of it. He's a seriously happy little chap.

Delited to hear he loved creche
    No sign of any teeth here yet just lots of drool

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Two teeth here too only up a week. Gonna go to boots today go look for baby brushes.

I got a Nuk tooth set, it's like a handle with a nobbly end that they chew and it cleans the teeth and gums. Or the dentinox teething paste has a little soft brush that you put on your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭knock13

Glad your little fella got on good in crèche Das kitty. I'm still deciding where to go with for child care and dreading the thought of leaving him. I know he will probably be fine and it will be harder for me. Met a childminder last week and was surprised how expensive she was €250 per week in her house and have to bring own food!

We have 2 bottom teeth that came out of nowhere during last week, hadn't even thought of cleaning them yet but I suppose should get something. Do you just clean them before bed and before last bottle?

Might look into getting those sponge mat things as he is firing himself forward n ends up on the floorboards after a few mins. He is scooting along the floor but going backwards so gets frustrated when he wants to get to a toy and ends up going in the wrong direction! Endless fun for mommy to go get him his toy - suppose better get used to it, this is way it's going to be for a long time at their beck and call!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I was thinking of getting those foam mats too but apparently they have toxins in them and babies can bite lumps out of them so they can be a choking hazard? I just have a few blankets doubled up on the floor. They get so dirty no matter how much I clean the floor!!

• Advertisement

I used the mats for James, there was never an issue. I've no room to put them down for Rory now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

we use them as well there grand

A friend of mine was telling me that about the mats as well but she seemed to think it was a specific brand of the colourful alphabet ones. She said she had them for her son and that it was all over euro news about 4 years ago about the coating on them being really bad for babies to inhale. She stopped using them and returned them to the shop and thought the offending ones were no longer for sale. Must look it up and see. There was some chemical she mentioned. Sounded like formaldehyde!

Jesus, just googled it - :eek: Eh, mats in the garden, I think!

I wonder does that study cover only Australian made ones or cheap ones from Asia? Cos I reckon mine are the latter!

I doubt there are very many aussie made ones tbh. I'd say 95% come from asia.

They'd test ones available for purchase in Australia which would be pretty much the same as here. They use them in all the creches too.

Thats good to know. As it goes, they're already manky, I might give them a wash and let them dry in the garden for a few days. Might dissipate some of the nasties!

I think oh takes the screwdrivers to work to stop us building things lol
    Ladybird caravan of fun came today,looks fun,dont know will she manage using it yet as she cant sit up unaided.she likes the rattles though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

we've got 2 teeth, both popped up on the 21st! :) fierce sharp god bless you breast feeding mummies!

We clean his gums twice a day cooled boiled water on a muslin, wrapped around my finger, PHN told us to start doing it at 3 months and we did. we're getting the nuk set soon tho, awaiting payday! poo!

I was told the floor mats can hinder development re understanding that hitting your head off the floor hurts and you should be more careful, we're not getting them anyway but im sick of vacuuming... but considering someone has taken to licking floorboards I'd best...

What are the little fatties eating these days, we tried him on some Ella's Kitchen and Hipp Organic stuff and the little rogue likes it more than mammys cooking :(

How do i know if I'm feeding him enough?

9am - bottle (4oz)

11 - Porridge (12 to 18 grams, 3 oz of milk) followed by 3 oz

13.30 - bottle 6 oz

16.30 - 2 oz of dinner plus water plus 2 to 4 oz of milk

19.30 - lega/banana + avacdo/ porridge and banana

snacks, max of 3 rice cakes, quarter slice of toast, yoghurt (about 1)

23.00 3oz bottle

and repeat he's had a 3am bottle recently but thats only about 2 oz and i think related to teeth moreso than anyone else

Advertisement