Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me set up my wifi on new Windows 8 Toshiba. Cracking up!!

Options
  • 01-02-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi there, bought a new laptop tonight and im trying to set up the wifi to no avail.

Entered the incorrect key and then i disconnected. Now I have the key but its asking me for a username and password. I presumed the username would just be the name i have on my network but it wont work.

What is the username?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I literally have no clue what to do. I feel like an awful eejit. Between the wifi not working and windows 8 looking so different - i havent a notion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

]If you have an Eircom router, the default username is often admin. In any case and if it's not an Ec router, it might be worth going to the router setup page in a web browser and changing the username and password and then entering that into your Tosh to see if it connects and if not, it might give you a better idea of which side of things the issue lies on.

And just on the very off chance you haven't looked at anything like this yet...

briany wrote: »
    ]If you have an Eircom router, the default username is often admin. In any case and if it's not an Ec router, it might be worth going to the router setup page in a web browser and changing the username and password and then entering that into your Tosh to see if it connects and if not, it might give you a better idea of which side of things the issue lies on.

And just on the very off chance you haven't looked at anything like this yet...

Im with UPC and I am able to log into the router. Am I right to assume the SSID is my username?

I definitely have the right key now because I have just changed it. Is it possible Im entering the wrong username? m entering the SSID

closifer wrote: »
    Im with UPC and I am able to log into the router. Am I right to assume the SSID is my username and network key 1 is my password?

SSID is the name of your wireless network that is broadcast to anyone in range, it's not necessarily your username and the network key is what a person would enter to be able to use it from a wireless device but routers often have seperate a username and password as well which would enable a person to get into the router settings themselves and make changes to them. If you can log into the router automatically, then it's possible that your computer has those details already saved and just enters them automatically. It might be worth looking around the router page to see if you can find a change username and password option where you could maybe see what the current UN and PW are and/or change them to something memorable but not easy to guess.

Also it might be worth googling " (your router model), default username and password"

Thanks for your help! Sorry to be a pain but im so confused. Im now certain I have the right key but this laptop is asking me for a username to log on to the wifi and ive never been asked for that before. If its not the SSID - what could the username be and where could i find it?

Logging on to my router isnt an issue. I have logged on and changed my key just now. Its just the wifi username im concerned about. hope im making sense...

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help! Sorry to be a pain but im so confused. Im now certain I have the right key but this laptop is asking me for a username to log on to the wifi and ive never been asked for that before. If its not the SSID - what could the username be and where could i find it?

Logging on to my router isnt an issue. I have logged on and changed my key just now. Its just the wifi username im concerned about. hope im making sense...

No need to change the key but no harm done once you know what you changed it to. If you didn't catch the last edit, just google your router make/model along with default username/password. See what comes up

briany wrote: »
    No need to change the key but no harm done once you know what you changed it to. If you didn't catch the last edit, just google your router make/model along with default username/password. See what comes up

sorry if this is a stupid question but why would i need to google my routers username and password? I can log into that already. I just did to change the network key. Its my wifi username im looing for. Am i missing something really obvious?

sorry if this is a stupid question but why would i need to google my routers username and password? I can log into that already. I just did to change the network key. Its my wifi username im looing for. Am i missing something really obvious?

Well from my deduction, if you couldn't log using your SSID and network key alone and it's asking for a username and password, it's the router username and password, it wants the router's UN and PW. It seems to require all 4 pieces of information. That and a quick google seems to confirm this, well for wired connection but maybe a wireless connection requires the same.....

Googling would just tell you the default username and password your router ships with which is a different thing from your SSID and network key.

http://idiotsguides.com/static/quickguides/computertechnology/how-to-set-up-a-wireless-network-on-windows-8.html

(see step 4.)

Advertisement