Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MORE problems with menupages not posting negative reviews

Options
  • 01-02-2013 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

I see many people had a similar story.
    3 days ago, I wrote 2 reviews - one positive and one less positive and submitted to menu pages.
    I checked today and only the good one is up on the site.
    The less good review said nothing controversial or potentially libellous.
    I reckon they are manipulating what is published.
    Is there a genuine alternative to menu pages, which has little credibility as far as I see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We've had this discussion in the past - see here

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have written several reviews of restaurants I have visited over the last year. Each one has sat for ca 3 months without being posted, except for one which was a glowing review, until I actually wrote to the site asking why ....

My last review, written in very measured terms, of a recently opened Asian restaurant in Ranelagh has now been sitting unpublished since 30th January 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

A bad review leaves both the poster and menupages open to legal action as its subjective. - Whilst some may be fine, too many people vent anger in bad reviews and exagerate, thus writing stuff that can harm a business.

Therefore to be safe, most sites like that won't allow bad reviews on their site.

Also, I belive they state somewhere that they will not publish reviews that are derogatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

sandin wrote: »
    A bad review leaves both the poster and menupages open to legal action as its subjective
    Are you seriously expecting us to believe this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

A bad review leaves both the poster and menupages open to legal action as its subjective. - Whilst some may be fine, too many people vent anger in bad reviews and exagerate, thus writing stuff that can harm a business.

Therefore to be safe, most sites like that won't allow bad reviews on their site.

Also, I belive they state somewhere that they will not publish reviews that are derogatory.

How is trip advisor still in operation?

Millions of bad reviews on it.

Everybody knows menupages don't post bad reviews. They earn their living from the restaurants paying them to be listed on their site.

If bad reviews pop up, then the restaurants de-list themselves and hence no money for menupages.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Are You for real???:eek: I wrote a comment for MP couple of years ago, they didn't publish it. The comment was neither derogatory or libelous. I emailed them and asked why? Their response was that while I wasn't complaining about the restaurant in question's food, I had SERIOUS reservations about their toilets. I argued that 2 previous posters had also commented negatively about their toilets, and those posts were up on the MP page for the aforementioned restaurant. The answer I got was 'Oh, there was another editor of the MP site then'.

I gave up and unsubscribed from MP. Quite surprised they are still active, thought they would be history by now. For me, they ought to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's handy for the odd deal here and there, but I wouldn't trust a single review from their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Sites like menu pages won't publish bad reviews as per above. They earn their money from restaurants and in the same way newspapers won't publish derogatory stories about their advertisers, menu pages won't do it for their clients. In addition to that, certain posts will be libelous so that's the policy they have.
    I believe they ssy this somewhere.

Trip advisor don't sell anything so don't need tk have as many checks but will remove or ammend posts very quickly if wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sites like menu pages won't publish bad reviews as per above. They earn their money from restaurants and in the same way newspapers won't publish derogatory stories about their advertisers, menu pages won't do it for their clients. In addition to that, certain posts will be libelous so that's the policy they have.
    I believe they ssy this somewhere....
    I had a look, and can't find where they say it, so if they do, it's well-hidden from punters looking for guidance in finding a restaurant. And if I am unaware that only positive reviews are published, then I am being misled.

Suppose I was travelling to a place I didn't know very well, and wanted a good restaurant for a meal for a special occasion. If I made a choice based on eight positive reviews on menupages, and was unaware that 23 negative reviews had been rejected, I could end up with a very poor choice.

I'd be grateful if you could show me where they tell us on their site that bad reviews are not published.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Trip advisor don't sell anything
    TripAdvisor is a huge business and sells tons of advertising plus they earn affiliate commissions when you click to view rates and book a hotel (they don't facilitate restaurant reservations yet) and other travel products from their website. Plus they businesses can pay to promote themselves better, manage and track their reputation, integrate reviews on their site, plus they sell travel consumer data.

TripAdvisor and others are extremely smart to realize that in order to get more traffic, more repeat traffic, and more "customers", they need to be unbiased and open. The power is balanced on TripAdvisor in that when someone posts a negative review, the business can post a response. That can take a negative and turn it into a positive. I am more than happy to book a restaurant table that has a negative review about the toilets (for example) followed by an apology and promise to fix the problem.

I guess the best way to fight back against MenuPages.ie policy (assuming their not publishing negative review policy is correct) is to stick with TripAdvisor, WhoseView.ie, and Yelp which are all much much better designed and helpful websites.

• Advertisement

I believe they ssy this somewhere.

Trip advisor don't sell anything so don't need tk have as many checks but will remove or ammend posts very quickly if wrong.

If thats the case, then why did they print negative remarks as I mention in #7 post, from a different editor but not mine, which were only highlighting that in the year or so since the OP posted about the hygiene problems in the loo, I encountered the same scenario? Just because there was a different editor is not good enough a reason. I have no idea if they are still uploaded now, as I wouldn't bother going to MP website anymore.

Have just checked on MP, and the comments I refer to are still up there...

Don't think I can mention the name of the restaurant though, right Mods?

Advertisement