Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the creche pay my doctors bill?

Options
  • 01-02-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My 2 year old son put a small piece of crayon up his nostril today while in creche. They couldn't get it down and by the time I arrived at the creche, the crayon had lodged further up. I took him to his doctor who also couldn't get it. He sent us to an ear, nose and throat doctor in a local hospital who eventually managed to get it out.

My question is: should i send my doctor's bill to the creche or should i pay it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I would pay it myself..... Children will be children where ever they are and whilst yes they should have been keeping a close eye on him, my little one will stick anything in her mouth even when I'm looking directly at her just to get attention or out of nosiness! I'm wouldn't sue if I tripped in a shop.... Just cos i just tripped for no reason like wet floor un marked etc.
    If you have any issues whether they are neglecting him that's different - but lots of kids stick things up their noses... Maybe check they are first aid trained and have all the appropriate qualifications to highlight the issue but I'd leave it at that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I suppose it can be seen as negligence on their behalf but I agree with dublinlady , no matter how much you watch them you can't watch them every second.

It could also make things awkward in the creche if you think they should pay and they disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Karen23 wrote: »
    I suppose it can be seen as negligence on their behalf but I agree with dublinlady , no matter how much you watch them you can't watch them every second.

It could also make things awkward in the creche if you think they should pay and they disagree.
    How can you show the creche was negligent?

Kids will be kids and you cannot blame anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I would just be thankful my child was ok. Why would you think the creche should possibly have to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Unless a creche worker put it up there, I don't see why they would pay for that. He shoved it up there himself.

Edit... actually stick it on the 2-year-olds tab. He can repay when he is earning something. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Your child stuck a crayon up their nose.
    You had to take your child to the doctor.

I really think you should pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Since the creche probably charges you an arm and a leg to mind your child and the incident happened while in their care you should look for your medical expenses back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

How can you show the creche was negligent?

Kids will be kids and you cannot blame anyone.

I'm not saying they were negligent as I don't believe they were and don't think they should have to pay. My point was by the OP thinking the creche should pay is more or less accusing them of being negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

Yes, of course you should pay the bill.

Fast forward ten years, I can see similar questions - "my 12 yr od son broke a neighbours window, should I pay?"

Fast forward 15 years , " my 17 yr old scratched the neighbours car( by accident), should I pay ?..........

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

You should pay. You don't want bad feeling with the people minding your child - that's a relationship that's really important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The creche will not pay because if they do, they will be admitting liability. If you want payment you will have to bring a case against them.

PS, isnt this why kids in the UK aren't allowed to play conkers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In the case where a child is injured in the creche,the creche will often reimburse the doctors fees.
    Personally once I am happy that my child was being looked after and just being a child I would not follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    PS, isnt this why kids in the UK aren't allowed to play conkers!

You'd have some job getting one of those out of a kids nose :D

No I don't believe the nursery should have to pay. You accept that when you place a 2 year old in creche they are being minded at a ratio of 10 children to 1 staff member.
    It is physically impossible for one person to watch 10 children all of the time, so these things will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ysktnfro

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just pay the bills myself. I've relaxed a little more about it now - I was just angry that it happened in the first place, so I was trying to blame the creche. I see now that they couldn't have done anything to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I think it's just a question of being reasonable, sticking something up the nose is nothing in itself. I bet most kids in creches spend their time 'tasting' toys and sticking them into various holes, without a caregiver constantly taking them out immediately, so the crayon getting stuck is just an unfortunate side-effect. Had it been a sharp pencil it would have been another story as it would have been negligence on their part to have let a toddler get hold of something dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

Since the creche probably charges you an arm and a leg to mind your child and the incident happened while in their care you should look for your medical expenses back.

My local creche charges 180 euro for a 4 day week of 8 hours a day, that is about 5.62 an hour for minding the most important thing in the world, i.e. your child. It is not expensive and actually very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

As a matter of interest, how did they get it out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

You'd have some job getting one of those out of a kids nose :D

No I don't believe the nursery should have to pay. You accept that when you place a 2 year old in creche they are being minded at a ratio of 10 children to 1 staff member.
    It is physically impossible for one person to watch 10 children all of the time, so these things will happen.

A crèche that has a ratio of 1 staff member to 10 children is breaking the law. You might want to bear that in mind the next time you bring your kid to your crèche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Arciphel wrote: »
    A crèche that has a ratio of 1 staff member to 10 children is breaking the law. You might want to bear that in mind the next time you bring your kid to your crèche.

Not if the child is 2.5 years old. It's 1 to 10 for that age group. 1 to 5 for the younger group 1 to 2.5. And 1 to 3 for the under 1's.

Advertisement