Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples Retreat - My wife's a 10 but I'm just a 6...

• 01-02-2013 11:17pm

I just flicked onto Couples Retreat there and couldn't last ten minutes before switching to The Last Samurai instead. Why? Because the women in the film were all substantially better looking than their male partners. Now while I didn't stay to find out if there was any story behind this feature I really doubt there was any, despite the black guy who was evidently self conscious about his body (I saw that much).

Anyone else get annoyed by this sexism that is in films these days? It just seems like in every film (and even in real life...:( ) the women have to be ridiculously beautiful while the men can just be average or slightly above...

Anyone know of a mainstream movie were the opposite is true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I thought you would have flicked it off cos it was ****e.

Yeah, it's pretty woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Do you want prettier men or uglier women? :confused:

Both.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If that kind of thing bothers you OP you should stay away from generic hollywood rom-coms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyone else get annoyed by this sexism that is in films these days? It just seems like in every film (and even in real life...:( ) the women have to be ridiculously beautiful while the men can just be average or slightly above...

So, it's the same in the film as it is in real life? Damnit, Couples' Retreat is a documentary! :eek:

The only romcom that I saw in recent memory that was anywhere near realistic was the Breakup with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Not saying it was any good, but at least
    in the end, the couple didn't get back together or really stay friends

^That's not what I'm talking about though. You're talking about actual realistic storyline, I'm talking about visual realism. (I'm shallow)
    Jennifer Aniston is super hot and although Vince Vaugn has his own qualities he's no Brad Pitt...

I think my argument is that either A) actresses in Hollywood are generally amazing looking and outnumber ridiculously good-looking male actors so therefore most films have only so-so male leads while producers have no problems finding smoking hot ladies.

or B) Hollywood films are catering towards a mostly male audience and only when they know their audience is female do they specifically go out of their way to find a A+ male lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The TV show "The King of Queens" always done my wifes head in, cause she says that no way would yer wan be attracted to yer man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The TV show "The King of Queens" always done my wifes head in, cause she says that no way would yer wan be attracted to yer man.

Really? Shes a c*nt and he's a ledgend, other way round IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Really? Shes a c*nt and he's a ledgend, other way round IMO.

Ha ha yeah she's a bit of a geebag alright, but my wife thinks the fat fella is not one bit funny and has no charm or other redeeming features at all. She can't stand the sight of him.

Ha ha yeah she's a bit of a geebag alright, but my wife thinks the fat fella is not one bit funny and has no charm or other redeeming features at all. She can't stand the sight of him.

My gfs the same, think Dougs sense of humour and my own are a little too similar, a little close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i see plenty of men that end up with women that seem well out of their league, its called having a personality, either that or once they got what they wanted they just stopped taking care of themselves and got comfortable, or else their wifes are great in the kitchen,

and it also works vise versa, there is no accounting for taste,

look at noting hill i think both leads there were considered quite good looking at the time, or the proposal, pretty woman, what women want, while you were sleeping, hitch ETC ETC

you have to diversify, some films will have a lot of pretty people, some films will have ugly people, if they used the same people for all the films we wouldn't go see them,

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JayConlon91

im not gay so i didnt really care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

im not gay so i didnt really care

128979699436883443.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

8 & 9's is where you want to be, 10's are often quiet insecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

^That's not what I'm talking about though. You're talking about actual realistic storyline, I'm talking about visual realism. (I'm shallow)
    Jennifer Aniston is super hot and although Vince Vaugn has his own qualities he's no Brad Pitt...

Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughan were an actual couple so emm, wha? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They were dating in real life!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, sexism ... these days? Uhm I can only presume you've never watched a movie before in your life if you think the idea of the attractive romantic female is somehow a new invention. Hell it practically pre-dates film for goodness sake. If anything, whilst cinema is still inescapably sexist, at least now you can be a beautiful woman and independent / talented, as opposed to yesteryear when all female characters had were their looks.

• Advertisement

:(

I realise I was wrong and this thread was meaningless, it was a conversation starter in the height of my annoyance while I was watching Couples Retreat. I see now that my analysis was super obvious and this kind of sexism is an age-old issue BUT I did know before that Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn had been going out- it wasn't my argument that she wouldn't go for a guy like him it was that she (a 10) does go out with him (a 6...maybe 7) and that annoys me..

But, let's forget I ever brought this up.

:(

I realise I was wrong and this thread was meaningless, it was a conversation starter in the height of my annoyance while I was watching Couples Retreat. I see now that my analysis was super obvious and this kind of sexism is an age-old issue BUT I did know before that Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn had been going out- it wasn't my argument that she wouldn't go for a guy like him it was that she (a 10) does go out with him (a 6...maybe 7) and that annoys me..

But, let's forget I ever brought this up.

You don't get to decide whos a ten, we do.

Shes not a 10.

She is a 10!! She's gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

She is a 10!! She's gorgeous!!
    yeah i really wanna know who her and courtney cox go to for their plastic surgery, cause if i ever feel like getting anything done at least ill know who to go to,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm; seems a tiny bit hypocritical to complain about sexism on film, then hand out ratings out of 10 for women

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm; seems a tiny bit hypocritical to complain about sexism on film, then hand out ratings out of 10 for women

Especially when she peaked at a 7

Advertisement