Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest waste collection in maynooth

Options
  • 01-02-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi, I moved back to Maynooth recently, can anyone give some suggestion for the cheapest bin collection in maynooth? Would consider pay per lift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think AES are the cheapest, if you take the smaller bin, however - they are the least competent company I have ever dealt with.

In 20 years in Maynooth with the council or its agents collecting the bins we had one solitary missed collection - and one call to the collection firm of the time (O'Hagans) had it collected within a few days.

Over the year I had AES doing it, I had over ten missed collections (out of 52!!), one period where their computer system decided I owed them money when I didn't, I never got my correct set of bins and any missed collections took repeated phone calls and emails to get sorted. Also got sent the wrong set of stickers, twice. They also seem to have one call centre that's helpful but useless and one call centre that's abrasive but can actually fix stuff...

So I went to Thorntons who are barely more expensive for a bigger bin, seem to have a better pay by lift system (although I've gone for annual) and so far nothing at all has gone wrong since November.

The other option for Maynooth are Mahons but I can't see a price on their website.

edit: actually looking at my Thorntons invoice, I've been put in the low user band so they're actually far cheaper than any other annual charge - think its done on weight of the black bin, whereas I mostly use the green/brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Switched over to Thornton's for a bigger bin than AES and the rate is quite competitive. In our estate they come really early in the morning which is handy because the bin doesn't need to sit out all day.

AES have appalling customer service when it comes to sorting things out. It just strikes me they have so many different kinds of customers on so very many different packages that no one really knows what's going on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Thanks MYOB

So I went to Thorntons who are barely more expensive for a bigger bin

Do you mean Thorntons has bigger bin than AES?

I Checked the web -- Thorntons has E50 annual fees, E8.5 for black and E4.5 for brown. AES says E64 for 6 months fees, E7.5 for Green (ie old black bin) E4 for Brown.

I can not figure out how come AES is cheaper?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thorntons pay by weight is 230 a year.
    it works out about 50 euros cheaper then AES.

We have 3 kids and never go over the weight.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Thorntons pay by weight is 230 a year.
    it works out about 50 euros cheaper then AES.

We have 3 kids and never go over the weight.

Hi, Do you mean E285?
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-kildare-sign-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Thorntons is €285 for the first year. Pay by weight (based on bands) after that. We've just switched back from AES.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,854 ✭✭✭✭L1011

you2008 wrote: »

AES offer a smaller bin (as an option) which is the cheapest for a first year annual fee.

They're not cheapest for the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i presume they meant the pay per lift charge, the smaller waste bin is only €5 per lift i think but it could of went up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm with mahons, paid 280, 2 bins, never a problem, I've also paid in instalments the past few years, 100 here and there, no trouble at all. Very decent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

you2008 wrote: »
    Thanks MYOB

I Checked the web -- Thorntons has E50 annual fees, E8.5 for black and E4.5 for brown. AES says E64 for 6 months fees, E7.5 for Green (ie old black bin) E4 for Brown.

This ( Thorntons ) is an online top up account, you just pay €50 standing charge per year and keep your account in credit. Each lift of domestic waste bin is €8.50 and compost bin €4.50. If you don't have much waste it works out the cheapest option by far.

• Advertisement

Joe Public wrote: »
    This ( Thorntons ) is an online top up account, you just pay €50 standing charge per year and keep your account in credit. Each lift of domestic waste bin is €8.50 and compost bin €4.50. If you don't have much waste it works out the cheapest option by far.

Thanks Joe and all above.
    I think will go for Thorntons.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Staplor wrote: »
    I'm with mahons, paid 280, 2 bins, never a problem, I've also paid in instalments the past few years, 100 here and there, no trouble at all. Very decent to deal with.

+1 for Mahons, having rang one of the companies above repeatedly they just didn't seem to want our business! Mahons were out later that day with a bin (they were probably in the area, but I was impressed anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

We average about 8 refuse bins a year and have found Allied PAYG works out the cheapest (I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

n97 mini wrote: »
    We average about 8 refuse bins a year and have found Allied PAYG works out the cheapest (I think!)

What are their charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Watch out for price increases with Thorntons. They increased our charges and introduced an excess weight charge of €0.20 per kg over 40kg without informing us.

Advertisement