Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There has to be a catch, right??

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I'm thinking of moving to London in the next year with my girlfriend and scouting for areas that might have apartments to rent in our price range (eek! :eek: )

Found this little gem: http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/27460476

So, what's the catch? There has to be one, right? I mean, everything around is a tiny studio apartment or really ****ty-looking. Then suddenly in Fulham, there's this lovely-looking apartment for next-to-nothing per month (comparatively speaking).

Anyone with any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. There's an Area Stats tab on that page that indicates that average rent for a 1-bed flat in the area is £2k pcm so finding something at 25% of that is probably dodgy (or there's something obvious that I've missed, like it's a flat share and you're just renting sleeping space on the sofa).

Best option to find out if it's realistic is to give a couple of reputable estate agents in the area a ring and determine what they would be asking for rent-wise from that property spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Yeah, I guess. Well, I'm only sniffing around at the moment to see what areas we could afford. What area would you recommend for the best combo of safety and transport to Soho for a price range of around £700pcm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Has to be fake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Agencies seem to put tonnes of fake ones up, or leave ones that were rented ages ago just to garner interest and get traffic to their sites and phone numbers. I called all kinds of crappy sh*tholes in dodgy parts of South London when I was looking for a new place last year and even in the not so nice parts they were all fake or you get the usual "that one's just gone mate, what's your budget?".
    So yeah even when a new flat appears, it'll be gone before you can blink, such is the demand for rental these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Edit : Has the ad changed? The one I'm looking at it £430 per week. That is 7% below the listed area average, and it's using more expensive sw10 prices for that which it's barely just inside. Sw6 about 20 yards away just over the bridge has an average 500 per month below that, placing this almost 25% above that market average.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bluewhitehoops

I'm thinking of moving to London in the next year with my girlfriend and scouting for areas that might have apartments to rent in our price range (eek! :eek: )

Found this little gem: http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/27460476

So, what's the catch? There has to be one, right? I mean, everything around is a tiny studio apartment or really ****ty-looking. Then suddenly in Fulham, there's this lovely-looking apartment for next-to-nothing per month (comparatively speaking).

Anyone with any ideas?

Are you prepared to look in area like teddington twickenham, kingston upon Thames and even surbiton which are very nice places to live. It will more affordable than Fulham.

Check these areas out on google map, it not far from fulham. It only take 15 min on the train to get to fulham and roughly half an hour to get to the heart of london.

Ps

check out teddington travelodge which is right next to teddington train st on http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g528818-d3167910-r131357698-Travelodge_London_Teddington-Teddington_Middlesex_England.html

It cheap for £15 per night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

It's been changed.... It's now £1,863 PCM which is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Dont forget to take the council tax into account

Advertisement