Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please cats eye very sore

• 02-02-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Smudges looked a lil bit sore today. Came home from work at 10.30. Went to feed her and she was hiding. Her eye is all bloody I dunno if she hurt it or scratched it or what. I don't know what to do
    E1D8BB63-AEA3-419D-A808-57D2C4FB939A-756-0000004E230768A7_zps35ec7573.jpg
    CF1B9EB4-5AE5-4D7E-A729-6797246CF894-756-0000004EC28F6E48_zpsc3b50607.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Aaww poor thing!

It could be an infection. Best thing is to pop to the vets and get them to take a look :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Poor little thing and what a beautiful face. The vet should be able to give you something to clear that up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I would get her seem by a vet quite soon, looks like it could be conjunctivitis which is really painful. In the meantime you could bathe it with cooled tea bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I got such a fright there was blood all over her paw. She must have been rubbin at it! I'm not sure how to keep her from pullin at it tonight! Can't find the cone I had before (which she broke!) would it be a good or bad idea to put her in a cat carrier for the night. I have her wrapped up in a blanky poor lil smudgey...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm told you shouldnt give milk or dairy product to cats, best stop. Cold tea syringed into eye would be an idea if cat is not to upset by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't know would it be much benefit keeping her in a carrier because she would still be able to rub at it but I would keep her seperated from her sister in case she might go with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

take her to the vet ASAP we dont know what it is it could be a easily treated infection or a bad infection VET ASAP

I'll bring her to the vet first thing. Can't believe how bad it has gotten while I was at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It could be a corneal ulcer from a scratch on the eye, or conjunctivitis, or another injury - you have two cats if I remember correctly, so I'd be concerned it could be damage from play. If it's a scratch or an ulcer and isn't treated ASAP she could lose the eye.

If it's an ulcer the vet will probably offer you two options - cream to be applied, or a minor surgery where they sew that inner eyelid you can see there closed over the eye (they loop a couple of stitches through the top eyelid to hold it there). They leave it that way for a few weeks - 2-3 generally - and you apply the same cream to keep the eye clean and lubricated. The sewn-closed eyelid protects the eye while it heals.

Corneal ulcers in mullti-cat households are reasonably common and easily treatable, but if not treated they can rupture the eye and the cat will lose that eye. I've gone for the surgical eyelid-sewing option with one of mine with great success, because I've seen a couple of shelter cats lose the eye by just going the cream route.

...and after all that, good luck at the vet this morning and hopefully it's just conjunctivitis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Really cool looking cat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

OP - how is your cat this morning? Did you get to the vet?

OP - how is your cat this morning? Did you get to the vet?

It's not as red and she's in better form thank god! Still pretty nasty lookin though! We are headin to the vets soon! I rang earlier and the lady said they were very busy. Hopefully I won't be waitin too long

Just home from the vet now! He said it was conjunctivitis. She got an antibiotic injection and some drops. He put dye in her eye to see if there was any damage but thankfully it's fine. Her temperature was pretty high as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Handsome cat lives to fight another day....clever little bastard! :-P

Advertisement