Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an app created

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi, is there anyone that can develop an app to read RQ codes? If so, contact me. I've been quoted by developers and the quotes are well above my budget, so looking for some one to do it on the cheap, maybe a handy nixer for some one? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

scaffrey82 wrote: »
    Hi, is there anyone that can develop an app to read RQ codes? If so, contact me. I've been quoted by developers and the quotes are well above my budget, so looking for some one to do it on the cheap, maybe a handy nixer for some one? Thanks

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scaffrey82

If I could get it done for under €200 (incl vat) it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Way too vague for serious conversation yet......
    Please expand my

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As unnameduser has mentioned, you need to go into more detail.

What platform do you expect the App to run on? Windows, mac, linux, iOS, Android.
    What do you expect the app to do once it has read the QR code?
    Where are the QR codes? One a website, posters, documents etc.

Did you miss a zero off your budget???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

there are already QR code reader apps ... why create something when its already available ?

Thanks for reply - basically its a start up business, we're selling e-tickets for events. When some one buys a ticket they will get an e-ticket with a QR code. We need an app that the venue (ie doormen) can use to scan the QR code which will tell them 'yes this ticket is indeed for Mary Byrne, and it admits 2 persons' (as an example), and then marks it as used, so if it is presented again we know its a duplicate etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Thanks for reply - basically its a start up business, we're selling e-tickets for events. When some one buys a ticket they will get an e-ticket with a QR code. We need an app that the venue (ie doormen) can use to scan the QR code which will tell them 'yes this ticket is indeed for Mary Byrne, and it admits 2 persons' (as an example), and then marks it as used, so if it is presented again we know its a duplicate etc ...

ensure to put a procedure in for someone loosing their smartphone on the day that they are due to goto a gig ...or leaving their phone in the taxi on arrival at the venue.

Why not use this.

You still didn't mention what this App is going to run on.

The spec of the App has already increased dramatically. Once the QR code has been scanned it needs to check that code against a database of previously scanned QR codes and display an alert if the code has already been used. If the App is running on multiple devices, the App will also need to check against a central database to make sure none of the other devices have already scanned it. Is the app also going to print/email/send the ticket?

Even in its simplest form you are not going to get this App for €200, you'd be pushed to get printed paper tickets for €200.

There's several off-the-shelf solutions which you could investigate which may be a more realistic solution for you but even these are likely to be out of your budget:

http://www.capterra.com/ticketing-software

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    Why not use this.

We are the ticket business, we print physical tickets and send e-tickets.

Graham wrote: »
    You still didn't mention what this App is going to run on.

The spec of the App has already increased dramatically. Once the QR code has been scanned it needs to check that code against a database of previously scanned QR codes and display an alert if the code has already been used. If the App is running on multiple devices, the App will also need to check against a central database to make sure none of the other devices have already scanned it. Is the app also going to print/email/send the ticket?

Even in its simplest form you are not going to get this App for €200, you'd be pushed to get printed paper tickets for €200.

There's several off-the-shelf solutions which you could investigate which may be a more realistic solution for you but even these are likely to be out of your budget:

http://www.capterra.com/ticketing-software

We have our website that generates etickets and we have a printing system to print physical tickets. We need an app that communicates with the main site to confirm the ticket details at the event. The doormen will use their phones to download the scanning app, scan the barcode on each eticket which should send them back confirmation of the ticket details .... I know there is a bit of work in this, but I posted on here in the hope of finding some one that can do it cheaply, maybe some one doing nixers, or some one out of work and looking for some cash .... Anyone able?

I know there is a bit of work in this, but I posted on here in the hope of finding some one that can do it cheaply, maybe some one doing nixers, or some one out of work and looking for some cash .... Anyone able?

Anyone with the ability/skill-set to put together the App you're looking for is going to have no problem finding work. Real, paid work. Not pocket-money.

I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of work your App would require. The price you're talking amount would equate to less than minimum wage in a market that can command daily rates of €300++++

ok well if there is anyone that can help at my budget just PM me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There are a lot of problems with your plan.

Firstly if the app is available for general download it means I can get it, scan my qr code and then arrive at a venue and when they scan it, they'll tell me it's already been scanned so I will be denied entry.

To stop that from happening, you'll need to not have it as a general release app which means you'll need someone to travel to venues to install the app on the phones of the people on the door etc. and that's disastrous.

Really what you need is an app which can be downloaded but a login is required to activate it, which makes it even more expensive! An app like you're talking about requires a lot of back end development with a very large database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If I could get it done for under €200 (incl vat) it'd be great.
    Thank you - I've not had such a good laugh in a while.

smash wrote: »
    There are a lot of problems with your plan.

Firstly if the app is available for general download it means I can get it, scan my qr code and then arrive at a venue and when they scan it, they'll tell me it's already been scanned so I will be denied entry.

To stop that from happening, you'll need to not have it as a general release app which means you'll need someone to travel to venues to install the app on the phones of the people on the door etc. and that's disastrous.

Really what you need is an app which can be downloaded but a login is required to activate it, which makes it even more expensive! An app like you're talking about requires a lot of back end development with a very large database.

Yes a log in would be required. Well look, I put the query out there, so if anyone can help within my budget just PM me. Thanks for all the helpful replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yes a log in would be required. Well look, I put the query out there, so if anyone can help within my budget just PM me. Thanks for all the helpful replies
    Unless you're expecting people to work for around €2 an hour I can't see you getting any replies.

Yes a log in would be required.
    Which adds even more complexity, and thus labour, and thus time to any development and so with that budget you literally would be talking about an effective rate that you probably will only find in North Korea.

Honestly, have you asked yourself, would you come online and ask if there's an architect who'll design the plans to a house for €200? Or an electrician who'll rewire your entire house for the same amount? I'd hope not.

Perhaps you were originally ignorant of how complex what you're looking for would be in reality when you first posted, but realistically, you shouldn't be now. So I don't really understand why you've not accepted this and moved on to seek an alternative solution.
    smash wrote: »
    Unless you're expecting people to work for around €2 an hour I can't see you getting any replies.
    Oh, she might well get replies - just for all the wrong reasons.

Word to the wise. Don't share very personal and potentially embarrassing details in other threads then invite people in a new thread to contact you in the Real World where they can put an identity to those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

ok well if there is anyone that can help at my budget just PM me ;)

Any time you want to get a job done at a laughable rate, ask yourself first whether you'd do a job in your own industry for the same rate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

firstly expecting all door men to be able to use the app or have a phone for the platform {unless you expect it to be on all platforms} is ridiculous.

Relying on smartphone batteries however is insanity.

If your business cannot afford this investment and is unwilling to get a loan it is obviously not ready for the numerous difficulties faced by bringing in this interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    firstly expecting all door men to be able to use the app or have a phone for the platform {unless you expect it to be on all platforms} is ridiculous.

Relying on smartphone batteries however is insanity.

If your business cannot afford this investment and is unwilling to get a loan it is obviously not ready for the numerous difficulties faced by bringing in this interface.

Huh, I know door men dont have a reputation for being the sharpest knife in the draw, but scanning a QR code, come on, how hard is it to hold a phone up to barcode ? With regards to the phone, I would assume its the venue that would supply them and that they have electricity at the venue to charge them :D

None of the reasons you mentioned make this idea unfeasible. They are just minor obstacles that have easy solutions.

And €200 for an App. Good luck with that.

I think this discussion has probably run it's course; unless no one else noticed, the OP has closed her account, so I don't think she'll be able to get any PM's, even if anyone was willing to send them.

So at this stage this thread is just devolving into a flaming session for someone who unfortunately didn't think things through (in a lot of areas) and is no longer here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement