Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property and our dog?

• 02-02-2013 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Hi, basically I'm moving house and rental houses are few and far that accept pets. I have a small yorkie/Pom who is house trained but does yap outside if she hears a bang or something.
    I'm wondering what I'm going to do? Im going to call her tomorrow and say 'look, I have a small dog which is house trained what do you think?' I know she'd probably say no get lost! But there might be a small chance she might say yeah..

Anyone else been in this position? Any landlords here explaining why you would or wouldn't let a dog rent a bed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We went to view our gaff, never mentioned we had a dog (Boxer), looked around, told her we were interested and that we had a very well behaved dog, which our current landlady would give a reference for, asked her if it would be a problem, she said that was fine.

It's a renters market, if they can see you're decent, and have references to prove it, a dog is a minor issue, which a lot of landlords will not bother about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We had the same problem a few years ago. We loved the house and when we mentioned the dog (small, adult and housetrained) she said no way would her husband allow a dog in the house. Grand no problem said we understand.

Two hours later got a call and the house was ours. They even had no problem when we adopted a second dog. This was a landlord that was in the Guards and done a check on us so just try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

It took me quite long to find a house with a garden where dogs were allowed.
    I wrote and called everybody and asked, giving references, that I have been volounteer that I would do an insurance etc etc.
    It has been difficult, but finally I found the place.
    The landlord had a dog himself so he could understand me.

I always suggest to be honest, because I had a friend that tried to "hide" cats and now they will probably end in a shelter because he cannot find a place in few days...

I would try to ask and explain to every landlord, maybe go there in person or with the dog as well if he is nice and quiet.. tell them that you would pay any damage etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

but does yap outside if she hears a bang or something...

Anyone else been in this position? Any landlords here explaining why you would or wouldn't let a dog rent a bed?

Well, the yapping outside would be an annoyance to LL's neighbours.

I'm not a Landlord, but i can see why they'd want to protect their investment. Not every dog owner is as honest and responsible as you no doubt are.

Personally I'd charge an additional deposit of €200 at least, require the renter to take out an insurance policy with a public liability element, and probably charge an extra €5-20 a week depending on breed of dog and whether kept indoors or outdoors (for the same reason a lot of LL's charge higher for higher occupancy: greater likelihood of damage and wear and tear)

Or I could skip all the hassle and explanations and write "no pets permitted".

Here's a secret by the way: Landlords will allow pets for 3 reasons.
    1. They're kind-hearted people who love dogs
    Or 2. They'll rent to anyone (expect a poorly maintained property). Your dog will no doubt add to the character of the place
    Or 3. They know that most other landlords do not permit animals and they can command a higher rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Be honest from the start about having a dog, it could bite you in the bum if you don't. If you can give a previous reference (where you had the dog), and say you will pay for any damages caused, even better. Most leases state "no animals" to prevent people moving in with a zoo and destroying the house but often landlords don't mind one dog/cat, and often appreciate the honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

In our last house we were told we couldnt have a dog...so we got a little terrier mongrel a few weeks later. Our landlord was never around unless he was called so it was ok for us in that instance but I cant see many landlords having issues with a small dog like yours. Big dogs you can see where they are coming from but a pom/yorkie should be ok. I would be honest though, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

As a landlord I allow any pets and even provide a kennel out the back (yes am prob nuts). Granted yes I am an animal lover but the property is very new and ultra modern. Tbh I would have more concerns about tenants destroying the place than any animals

I have a deposit and as long as the rent is paid and they are good tenants I think the least of landlords worry should be whether there is a cat or dog keeping them company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tony81 wrote: »
    I'm not a Landlord
    Personally I'd charge an additional deposit of €200 at least, require the renter to take out an insurance policy with a public liability element, and probably charge an extra €5-20 a week depending on breed of dog and whether kept indoors or outdoors (for the same reason a lot of LL's charge higher for higher occupancy: greater likelihood of damage and wear and tear)

And thank god you are not a landlord. Its a bit much suggesting rent for a pet whatever about a pet deposit.

I rent a house and have dogs and other pets as well. Its never been a problem. I'm not charged extra rent or deposits and the house is in good conditon and well maintained.

If a landlord suggested I pay rent for the pet I would just go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Landlords don't take firstly if the dog barks all the time 99% of the time they get the abuse from the neighbours and not the tenant.

Secondly a majority of apartment blocks ban all pets and management in most places enforces it.

Thirdly there is the risk of a dog could damage the property ie scratch paint,doors etc. My parents are landlords and generally are selective about tenants as some tenants refuse even though it there own fault to pay for damages and it isn't worth the whole prtb process etc

hfallada wrote: »
    Landlords don't take firstly if the dog barks all the time 99% of the time they get the abuse from the neighbours and not the tenant.

Secondly a majority of apartment blocks ban all pets and management in most places enforces it.

Thirdly there is the risk of a dog could damage the property ie scratch paint,doors etc. My parents are landlords and generally are selective about tenants as some tenants refuse even though it there own fault to pay for damages and it isn't worth the whole prtb process etc

Sure kids can do the same damage and worse also responsible people don't allow their dogs to bark non stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Knine wrote: »
    Sure kids can do the same damage and worse also responsible people don't allow their dogs to bark non stop.

Kids do far worse damage. I would have no problem letting my house out to pet owners, I would think twice about kids. I completely renovated my house last year and the damage done by one child (let by an irresponsible parent) astonished me. Wooden floors and dining chairs destroyed by what I think were buckles on shoes, markers and paint on tables, floors, walls, and doors (solid oak doors less than a year old). Food stuffed down the side of sofas, the list goes on.

Not having a go at parents, but some think that it's OK to let their children do damage, almost like it's a given that there will be damage above what is considered normal wear and tear because "kids will be kids", whereas pet owners by in large worry like hell if their pet damages something due to the lack of landlords that allow pets and also it seems to be ok to say 'no pets' whereas if you said 'no kids' you may be deemed discriminatory.

Kids do far worse damage. I would have no problem letting my house out to pet owners, I would think twice about kids. I completely renovated my house last year and the damage done by one child (let by an irresponsible parent) astonished me. Wooden floors and dining chairs destroyed by what I think were buckles on shoes, markers and paint on tables, floors, walls, and doors (solid oak doors less than a year old). Food stuffed down the side of sofas, the list goes on.

Not having a go at parents, but some think that it's OK to let their children do damage, almost like it's a given that there will be damage above what is considered normal wear and tear because "kids will be kids", whereas pet owners by in large worry like hell if their pet damages something due to the lack of landlords that allow pets and also it seems to be ok to say 'no pets' whereas if you said 'no kids' you may be deemed discriminatory.

Very true and I have both kids and dogs. I can safely say the kids are a lot worse then the dogs and I have very lively dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Knine wrote: »

Very true and I have both kids and dogs. I can safely say the kids are a lot worse then the dogs and I have very lively dogs!

Yep, I was thinking the same today! I am constantly cleaning after my kids making sure they don't damage the property!

Anyways... Went to see a place today,! It's not as nice as a house I'd usually go for but it's low rent, end of terrace next to a wood and the next door neighbour has the house up for sale. Small enclosed garden, no leather couches.After looking around I asked if I could bring my dog and she seemed fairly laid back about it and said she'd give the landlord a call and get back to me today,but he shouldn't have a problem with it.. Didn't get a call from her though so I'm not sure what the verdict is yet. So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Agree as posters have suggested - don't mention your dog when you are ringing up to enquire, leave it until you have already done the viewing, ask plenty of questions, come prepared with a reference already if you can, and then tell them you have a dog. Chances are if they already have seen that you are an ideal tenant prepared to pay the deposit and rent, they won't mind the dog.

Im currently renting a very large family home in the countryside and when we checked the ad on Daft, it said no pets allowed. The place was perfect for us, so we went for a viewing, had a good craic with the estate agent, and afterwards we said we had an adult dog, would it be a problem. He didn't even blink! Said it would be no issue at all, once there was no damage done to the property, regardless of how it was done, that we could work away. He just asked us how we were going to provide for the dog in that we don't have an enclosed garden and warned us that there were surrounding farmers that do shoot on sight. He told us that "No Dogs Allowed" and "Rent Allowance Not Accepted" is meant to deter people who believe that their dog/earnings might cause a problem. People who know their dogs are well-behaved or know that they can afford the rent on their own generally ignore these statements and look at the house anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

In our property we were told by the letting agent to keep our dog outside if we wanted the house. First night in the house and the landlord landed and said it was fine to have the dog in.. Strange.

However, we keep her outside most of the time and we have her crate in the utility room. Its working for us and we havent had any problems we've been told we would have. We've been in our house now 3 weeks and its working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

tatabubbly wrote: »
    In our property we were told by the letting agent to keep our dog outside if we wanted the house. First night in the house and the landlord landed and said it was fine to have the dog in.. Strange.

However, we keep her outside most of the time and we have her crate in the utility room. Its working for us and we havent had any problems we've been told we would have. We've been in our house now 3 weeks and its working well.

I think it was problems we told you that you *might have*, the landlord pulling a fast one being one of them - odd how he's behaving, hmm? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I think it was problems we told you that you *might have*, the landlord pulling a fast one being one of them - odd how he's behaving, hmm? :rolleyes:

Yeah it is odd. But only after I made a clause in our letting agreement about the dog. Turns out that the landlord lives in america and only comes home once a year, which coincided with our tenancy starting.

Turns out it pays to be persistant.

Advertisement