Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Superquinn?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

So why does Cork City not have a Superquinn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because they only operate in parts on the country? http://www.superquinn.ie/StoreLocator/165

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really wish cork city had a superquinn . Take out the rubbish Supervalue in merchant's quay and put in a super unnecessary.
    Don't know why they never came into the market in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I really wish cork city had a superquinn . Take out the rubbish Supervalue in merchant's quay and put in a super unnecessary.
    Don't know why they never came into the market in Cork.

Too far from a nearby distribution center maybe? Or else because Cork is flooded with supermarkets already Namely Tescos. On the south link there are 3 tescos all siutuated within 3 miles of each other. Its mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Superquinn is deadly the bakery section is so good and there Deli is top notch. So strange there not in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hogzy wrote: »

Too far from a nearby distribution center maybe? .
    I very much doubt it. There's a Superquinn in Limerick. Their main distribution lockup is in Dublin. Limerick is 120 miles from Dublin, Cork is only a further 45.

But yes, Cork could do with a Superquinn. Their fresh food is amazing. Especially their own brand sausages and pudding. They also have a great off licence and always do good deals on world beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres too many supermarkets around the Cork city area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mikeym wrote: »
    Theres too many supermarkets around the Cork city area anyway.

Unfortunatly:(

Id give up any of the 4 Tescos for a Superquinn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Lemon Meringue Pie in Superquinn is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Superquinn had no interest in becoming a national brand. They only opened in Waterford in 2000

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/18m-superquinn-store-opens-on-waterford-site-366037.html

and Limerick thereafter.

I was at a conference years ago and one SQ speaker ewas asked why the reluctance to go national. He said that a geographic expansion like that would stretch the organisation too much.

You could also ask why Power City aren't in Cork, and DID are fairly new to Bandon (Oct 2012)?

There must be others too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Take out the rubbish Supervalue in merchant's quay and put in a super unnecessary.

My God I detest the SV in Merchants Quay! It really is the biggest a waste of space. They don't even make an effort. Really off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

You never know, now that musgraves owns them. They could open in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Hogzy wrote: »
    Too far from a nearby distribution center maybe? Or else because Cork is flooded with supermarkets already Namely Tescos. On the south link there are 3 tescos all siutuated within 3 miles of each other. Its mental.

Makes sense, opening one shop is no good as you'd have all the hassle of sending produce all the ways down to cork for the sake of one shop, in which case you may as well open a few, and then your trying to take on all the entrenched shops already here.

I have to say, it does feel like Cork got the cold shoulder from some shops for ages, during my teens there were no big computer shops, currys, HN and Maplins only showed up during the mid 2000s, after of course online shopping got big. Made it a right pain to be a computer geek, I remember one family member spending 400 quid on a 14" TFT from Soundstore !

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

So why does Cork City not have a Superquinn?

Owned by Musgraves now, with the amount of SuperValu stores in cork you won't be seeing a Superquinn any day soon

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Cork arguably has the strongest background in supermarket retailing in Ireland. Others have mentioned SuperValu which is based in Cork and Dunnes was also started here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

There's one in clonmel!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How did we miss that!

Oh wait, it's because it's not in Cork and is therefore completely irrelevant to this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Faith wrote: »
    How did we miss that!

Oh wait, it's because it's not in Cork and is therefore completely irrelevant to this forum.

I literally laughed out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 itsaposter

There's a lot of blocking from Dunnes and Tesco, I don't think Superquinn have ever had the financial wherewithal to overcome it. Aldi and Lidl get around this as they're able to buy smaller sites for their stores.

There has been attempts by Superquinn to come to Cork, most recently was when Mahon point was being built, that was supposed to be Superquinn for a while until Tesco came in with a deal Superquinn couldn't match. More a spoiler against Superquinn than a need for a second Tesco store relatively close to their Douglas one.

Also as far as I remember the only reason Dunnes have two shops within around 1k of each in other in Bishopstown, is they're happier to lose money on the old store than have a competitor in there. That old store would be a natural Superquinn location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've heard many good things about Superquinn. From what I can make out, they seem to be the Irish equivalent to Waitrose at home; i.e. high-end supermarket. I hear their wine selection is good and the bakery is even better!

Where is the nearest one to Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I've heard many good things about Superquinn. From what I can make out, they seem to be the Irish equivalent to Waitrose at home; i.e. high-end supermarket. I hear their wine selection is good and the bakery is even better!

Clonmel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Waitrose? High end?

You are deluding yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Waitrose? High end?

You're just wrong if you think Waitrose isn't high end. Waitrose is like a little slice of heaven on earth, arguably even better than M&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Waitrose? High end?

Nah. I think it's the other way round. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Faith wrote: »
    You're just wrong if you think Waitrose isn't high end. Waitrose is like a little slice of heaven on earth, arguably even better than M&S.

Impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

From my own experience of both, Waitrose and M&S would be on a par, not much to choose between them.

I think the reason why there's no Superquinn in Cork is similar to why there's no M&S in Limerick - albeit not for the want of trying! There's simply too many objectors and people with their own vested interests to make it make happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Musgrave took over them last year,

I think their looking into it, but then again if they did move one down here they could, make unrest with the supervaules

So far we have seen a number of musgrave chains opening up
    Their daybreaks are the doing very well so I would say that since cork is smaller the dublin I would say they will hold off,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 One united

Not a hope of them opening in cork why would Musgrave put one anywhere in cork and compete with Supervalu ,centra ,daybreak one of each is deff within any area or site that a sq could be put,the reason they bought SQ was because they are mostly in the area of Dublin and Supervalu don't have a large footholding there this is why they didn't buy three others around the country ,they were in direct competition with Supervalu stores .you can be sure these will eventually be rebranded into the Supervalu name ,and the distributors thrown to one side ,eventually ,not today or tomorrow but that's big business !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Superquinn were/are a small player with little financial muscle so were no match for Tesco in marketing and securing sites.
    They primarily operate in Leinster/Dublin area as this is where they have been traditionally strongest brandwise and are well known. Also closest to their HQ and distribution centres. This may all change however now Musgraves took them over and they may extend further down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not a million miles though to be fair for people in the very north of the county. I'm sure lots of people work/do business in Clonmel from places like Mitchelstown so it's not a completely ridiculous suggestion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 steffifandler

grenache wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. There's a Superquinn in Limerick. Their main distribution lockup is in Dublin. Limerick is 120 miles from Dublin, Cork is only a further 45.

But yes, Cork could do with a Superquinn. Their fresh food is amazing. Especially their own brand sausages and pudding. They also have a great off licence and always do good deals on world beers.

Superquinn sausages, coleslaw and brown bread - just amazing...I actually dont like sausages normally - but luuuurve superquinns...

:D

Advertisement