Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Superquinn?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

All Superquinn’s 24 stores will be renamed as SuperValu in February 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Hopefully those sausages will be making their way to all existing supervalu outlets nationwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently there will be over 100 jobs lost with the rebranding on top of the m&s job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

ofcork wrote: »
    Apparently there will be over 100 jobs lost with the rebranding on top of the m&s job losses.

Didn't the Musgrave group say that they would be trying to re-employ them in other areas within the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

The way things are id say its not feasible in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

So why does Cork City not have a Superquinn?

Superquinn joined the Musgrave Group. Musgrave's supply to franchised independent retailers under the brand Super Valu and Centra.

It was established in Cork and Cork was sufficiently endowed with Musgrave outlets so Superquinn remains mostly just Dublin.

Musgrave's have absorbed Superquinn, as they have absorbed some or many of the independent Super Valu or Centra outlets as their owners sold them or went bust.

We did have Quinnsworth, I forget the relationship, that was bought out by TESCO Ireland. Londis, never successful here, I don't know what happened to it, I know one became a Super Valu and the other I knew never reopened.

Did not know that M&S were Musgrave's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Did not know that M&S were Musgrave's.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

So why does Cork City not have a Superquinn?

Rochestores would of had the same market as superquinn. But there was plenty of room for them back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 user040913

One united wrote: »
    Not a hope of them opening in cork why would Musgrave put one anywhere in cork and compete with Supervalu ,centra ,daybreak one of each is deff within any area or site that a sq could be put,the reason they bought SQ was because they are mostly in the area of Dublin and Supervalu don't have a large footholding there this is why they didn't buy three others around the country ,they were in direct competition with Supervalu stores .you can be sure these will eventually be rebranded into the Supervalu name ,and the distributors thrown to one side ,eventually ,not today or tomorrow but that's big business !

Well done! Absolutely spot on with this prediction made back in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

evilivor wrote: »
    All Superquinn’s 24 stores will be renamed as SuperValu in February 2014.

Nooooooooooo :'(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

maguic24 wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo :'(

What difference does it make? The 'superquinn' sausages are already in supervalu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

pwurple wrote: »
    What difference does it make? The 'superquinn' sausages are already in supervalu.

There's more to Superquinn than just their sausages. Have you tried their Lemon meringue pie, om nom nom nom??

maguic24 wrote: »
    There's more to Superquinn than just their sausages. Have you tried their Lemon meringue pie, om nom nom nom??

Eh no, I can make them handy enough myself. :)

Seriously though, musgrave stocks all the stuff supplied to superquinn. That wont change one bit. It's just a rebranding exercise. What does the name matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    Eh no, I can make them handy enough myself. :)

Seriously though, musgrave stocks all the stuff supplied to superquinn. That wont change one bit. It's just a rebranding exercise. What does the name matter.

Superquinn was marketed itself as a premium supermarket with the emphasis on range and quality rather than value. Supervalue (as the name implies) lean more towards value, with some premium ranges. I have no doubt that the rebranded Superquinns will change in ethos a bit and the range of products will change.

The nasty jealous side of me can't help being pleased in a sort of "if we can't have Superquinn in Cork no one should have them", way but mostly I think it is a shame to loose this fleet of quality shops.

It will be interesting to see how they pan out because most Supervalues are independently owned whereas the ex Superquinns will, I think, be owned and run by Supervalue/Musgrave.

Well, The shops are remaining, with the same staff and the same stuff inside. The name on the front is changing. Not quite a loss of a fleet of shops.

From the people I've spoken to in musgrave, the products are remaining the same, because they are across the chain already. The 'superquinn' sausages et all are all sold already in the cork supervalu's but because they are packaged differently, people don't cop they are the same sausage, from the exact same supplier, but in a different box. I think the plan is to repackage some of those now as 'superquinn' brand products.

That's the raw power of marketing and branding I guess. :)

I like supervalu in general. I don't use supermarkets for much other than milk and detergents, but quishes in ballincollig seems to have a massive range of local stuff, as does the scally's on skehard road, and whatever that one up in grange is called. I would easily put them above tesco and the like in terms of quality. Never saw much of a gap between them and superquinn to be honest.

Advertisement