Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP fails to boot

Options
  • 02-02-2013 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

The windows xp logo comes up and then the PC reboots.

I have tried editing the boot.ini but it still reboots.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Have you tried Safe Mode? LKGC?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

If the above doesn't work, try a Windows repair

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Safe mode doesnt work. The only way I can boot the system is with a CD, linux or XP

I did try a repair the other day but if failed halfway through, I'm going to try again this evening.

Can you access the F8 menu to enter Safe Mode? If so, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" If a blue screen comes up, post the error code. Most likely it's 0x0000007B or 0x000000ED

Karsini wrote: »
    Can you access the F8 menu to enter Safe Mode? If so, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" If a blue screen comes up, post the error code. Most likely it's 0x0000007B or 0x000000ED

I'll try that.. cheers

• Advertisement

OK.

The windows disk I'm using is obviously not original to the machine. When I boot the PC it loads as normal and then tries to update to XP pro?

I can get to safe mode however when I select that option

I get a lot of these errors

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows system32

and the system reboots.

Is there a way to stop that upgrade?

I found this online..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You should run some hardware tests.

Just grab UBCD and test the hard drive (vivard)... and the memory (memtest 86+) while you're at it.

I can't make an image from here but thanks for the tip. Ill check that out tomorrow

Update:

OK I used a live CD to create a restore point. The system now boots to the login screen. However I am now getting this error:

SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please unistall then re -run to correct the problem.

The system freezes and I cannot do anything but hard re-boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

did you check the drive and memory as Torqay suggested ?

I can't right now as I have no way to create bookable CD on this PC.

I ran check disk and everything was fine..

chkdisc may not cut the mustard ....

if you have a cd/dvd drive that can burn, infrarecorder is an easy to use software for burning an iso image to cd disc

any other work before you carry out those diagnostics may be just all a waste of time

chkdisc may not cut the mustard ....

if you have a cd/dvd drive that can burn, infrarecorder is an easy to use software for burning an iso image to cd disc

any other work before you carry out those diagnostics may be just all a waste of time

I can't installed anything on this PC, so chkdisk was the only thing available to me. I've some progress the system is now booting but Ill run proper diag's and see whats up

OK, I ran the memory and HDD tests and they passed!

XP now requires activation, When I boot and logon there is nothing on the screen but the wallpaper. No right click no ctrl atl delete, nothing.

I can boot in safe mode however safe node with networking will not log on as the os is not activated ??

okay great - you said you got the os to boot but now you are still running into problems .how did you get it to boot again ?.. can you take out the drive, connect it to another computer by usb and run a virus scan with something like nod32 ? - you can get a free months trial ....

if nothing shows up then ( i maybe wrong ) i would back up data and do a fresh install ....

okay great - you said you got the os to boot but now you are still running into problems .how did you get it to boot again ?.. can you take out the drive, connect it to another computer by usb and run a virus scan with something like nod32 ? - you can get a free months trial ....

if nothing shows up then ( i maybe wrong ) i would back up data and do a fresh install ....

Thanks for the reply. I tried the external scan, nothing. Tried several restore points, creating new users I've lost count at this stage.

Decided to go with the fresh install.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

you are welcome ...hope it works out ... let us know how u get on .....

The power of the fresh install!

Everything is working fine, I decided to keep the old file system in attempt to save the program that I need from the old installation.

I guess Ill play around with the registry and try launch the software

glad to hear ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement