Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Perth worth a visit?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 8:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

Hi there,

I will be working in west coast Australia for 3 weeks in every 5 for The next 12 months. Rather than flight home every 3 weeks I have the option to fly my family over for 2 weeks.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Is Perth worth a visit? I'm told the west coast is pretty isolates and perhaps to consider Thailand which of course is a option . This option means the kids have a shorter flight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hi there,

I will be working in west coast Australia for 3 weeks in every 5 for The next 12 months. Rather than flight home every 3 weeks I have the option to fly my family over for 2 weeks.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Is Perth worth a visit? I'm told the west coast is pretty isolates and perhaps to consider Thailand which of course is a option . This option means the kids have a shorter flight.

When you say fly home, do you mean Ireland or east coast?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Parsandeman

Yes Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Perth is great and plenty to do for families.

if you have kids the beaches alone are enough for them to have a great time, Rottnest island off the coast is brilliant. Aussie Rules games in season are good craic and aussie food will probably appeal to them better than thai food (love thai food myself but prolly wouldn't as a kid).

You'll know all this yourself once you spend some time there. great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It is and it isn't. Perth city and the surrounding are will get a bit boring after a few days but if you have a car then there's a hell of a lot of amazing things you can do a few hours north or south.

If you've got the opportunity for a long weekend away for example then it'd be wrong not to bring them over imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I gave Perth once, never again!... I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It is and it isn't. Perth city and the surrounding are will get a bit boring after a few days but if you have a car then there's a hell of a lot of amazing things you can do a few hours north or south.

what about for an adult? one who just likes to sit out, drink coffee, watch the world go by.

maybe a few drinks in the evening...

bit of swimming in the day

what's nice near by. is Bunbury good?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ArtSmart wrote: »
    what about for an adult? one who just likes to sit out, drink coffee, watch the world go by.

maybe a few drinks in the evening...

bit of swimming in the day

what's nice near by. is Bunbury good?

Not a fan of Bunbury personally, you're better off hitting Busselton, Dunsborough and/or Margaret River instead for the sake of an extra half hour in the car.

Don't fancy anything too active. I ll be doing 80 jour weeks.

I have heard mixed reports about oz. some like it and some hate it. Perhaps I ll wait and see until I get there. I can book flights for them over if it seems worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If money and time are important (I presume money is to come all this way for work) then I'd sooner pick destinations in Asia over Perth. Perth is expensive whereas you could live extremely well and cheaply on your weeks off in someplace like thailand. After 80 hr work weeks I know I'd rather retreat to an affordable luxury resort in Thailand rather than expensive old motels and expensive basic meals in western Australia.

catbear wrote: »
    If money and time are important (I presume money is to come all this way for work) then I'd sooner pick destinations in Asia over Perth. Perth is expensive whereas you could live extremely well and cheaply on your weeks off in someplace like thailand. After 80 hr work weeks I know I'd rather retreat to an affordable luxury resort in Thailand rather than expensive old motels and expensive basic meals in western Australia.

Hotels car hire meals etc will be covered my employer so that's not an issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hotels car hire meals etc will be covered my employer so that's not an issue
    You're laughing so, enjoy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don't fancy anything too active. I ll be doing 80 jour weeks.
    Perth is a good place to chill - beaches, river, greenery, coffee. And a couple of hour south is Margaret River, which is an even better place to chill - all the above plus wineries, breweries, bushland and, for the kids, adventure parks and petting farms and the like.

The only thing is, two weeks is a very short time to visit Australia from Ireland, particularly for the kids who will take at least a week to recover fully from jetlag. See if you can negotiate a longer trip, even if you have to pay expenses for the extra week or two yourself.

Advertisement