Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's just it! In a nutshell, snow - probably : lying snow - unlikely away from high ground.

uktemp12blend.png

UKMO high-res for 3am. Not great.
    EDIT: that's a surface temperature chart for anyone wondering... blue inside the dotted line is subzero (wicklow mts, east ulster and a few other small areas) .. the next dotted line is 5C, most of the country is somewhere in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

paddy ocon wrote: »
    Gerry drives me mad when he says " loads of snow blizzard like conditions but THANKFULLY it will all melt very fast in the morning" talk about heartbreaking :(

Yes, looks like that will happen alright. DP's of +2 to +4 over the country by 3pm tomorrow according to the 12Z NAE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Good tv forecast tonight from Gerry Murphy
    Wasn't afraid to say the word snow tonight, indeed he mentioned blizzards
    Said it would melt tomorrow and snow would turn back to rain.

There now I just praised Met Eireann, why??? Because for a change they called it exactly the way the charts present it which is all we can ask
    +1
    However,there was enough information available for him to present that forecast language yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Ground temp lowest at Lough Mourne -0.3C according to NRA. The wind speeds seem low, but may be an average value.

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still not a lot happening in Galway, breezy with light/moderate rain showers, plenty of beefy showers about on the radar but we seem to keep dodging them and only get a few minutes of light rain. Bitterly cold wind out now though with strong gusts accompanying the showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭winterwonder

Would love a snow day tomorrow, just a day off work! Ah well, guess that's out of the question, well here in cork anyway! Secretly still hoping though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

after torrential rain for half an hour the back end of the shower turned to sleet with some very large snow flakes,encouraging signs for the night ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Ground temp lowest at Lough Mourne -0.3C according to NRA. The wind speeds seem low, but may be an average value.

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

Lough Mourne is at altitude in the middle of Barnesmore Gap. Would expect that temp at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Just watching the rain radar, and it looks like is stuck on fast forward. If that wing energy holds out, and temps/DPs drop, we should all get some sort of white stuff

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

As I speak, getting lashed out of it with horizontal rain in D13 right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Rain here in Dundalk with gusts of 40km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Today has scuppered everything I thought I knew about wintery weather. As I reported a few hours ago we had a few heavy sleet showers at a temp of 6c.
    It is now 3c with a dp of 0c and all we have had is rain for the last hour or so. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ok snow sticking now , ground white, and so it begins..............

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Conrach wrote: »
    Today has scuppered everything I thought I knew about wintery weather. As I reported a few hours ago we had a few heavy sleet showers at a temp of 6c.
    It is now 3c with a dp of 0c and all we have had is rain for the last hour or so. :confused:
    I reckon their will be loads of disappointed people tomorrow ....I love snow and all the fun it brings but I can not see anything of note for most of the country except strong winds cold temps and cold rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heard there is snow up Letterkenny direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Temps very slow to fall this evening
    I would have expected better by now

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Very heavy hail in North Kildare, now sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

No snow as yet in south Donegal, 1.5 on the car. Really doesn't feel cold enough. I'm at sea level btw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temps very slow to fall this evening
    I would have expected better by now

Are you packing up? :D

Winds picking up here, which is good, should keep the showers coming through.

3.9c DP 1.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

just had a hail shower in D15, winds picking up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Slushy, hail stuff lying on the ground about 10 miles north of Letterkenny at about 50 metres, surprised to see so much of it, 2-3 cm in places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Conrach wrote: »

It depends on a lot more than just the surface temp, the precip has to fall through 1000m+ of the atmosphere so if any significant part of it is above freezing then the snow will melt before it reaches the ground. Intensity is also important as heavier showers drag down cold air with them so the snowflakes can survive for longer. Same reasons it can snow above 0C and rain below it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

More wind and hail in Sligo Town. Although forecasts for Snow fall has been pushed back till 2am, 50% chance at that, with a currently 80% chance at 7am, the way these forecasts are being pushed back, I'm gonna be driving to work in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just had a very heavy hail shower on the navan road d15, winds are not helping things.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Temps dropped to 2, DP down to 1. Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Nice hail shower in Stoneybatter now

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

temp 3.4 dp 1 going down at a snail pace citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

According to Facebook its snowing in Blanchardstown D15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Very windy here in N.Cork, sheets of hail beating the windows. Wouldn't surprise me if the electricity goes out if this wind continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Fuh Q wrote: »
    According to Facebook its snowing in Blanchardstown D15

er no clear skies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

glossy wrote: »

er no clear skies
    Facebook never lies....;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement