Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So far Sligo has seen a regular train of nasty, squally showers with high winds, interspersed with blue sky and sunshine.

No sign of any significant wintry precipitation yet ...just horizontal rain. Even Truskmore at 647 m is still very much green.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Wind has become very strong in the last hour and showers have become increasingly more sleety in the last 30 minutes, despite it being 6c!

Have to agree with Irish1967, radar watching is a bit pointless. The showers are passing through so quick with the 15 min time delay it's difficult to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks like an update of some heavy snow showers possible tonight in all areas of Ireland.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not much expected yet, it's going to come as quick as it will go ;)

Now
    hgt500-1000.png

12 hours time

hgt500-1000.png

This time tomorrow

hgt500-1000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

should i stay or i should i go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

rilz wrote: »
    Some big showers packing into NE Ireland at minute. Turning increasingly Wintry

I'm confused...earlier it was snowing with you at sea level...now showers are turning wintry??

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'm confused...earlier it was snowing with you at sea level...now showers are turning wintry??

Whiteout he said :D , maybe that was the ramping thread though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

irishgeo wrote: »
    should i stay or i should i go.

I reckon your guess is probably as accurate as any one else's, accuracy about what's going to fall where and when is down to having a good clear radar picture and some intuition and or experience of previous similar weather conditions in the area of interest.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I reckon your guess is probably as accurate as any one else's, accuracy about what's going to fall where and when is down to having a good clear radar picture and some intuition and or experience of previous similar weather conditions in the area of interest.

its galway anything could happen everything bar a heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It IS going to snow in places later, no doubts. The negative dewpoints arrinv from circa 8pm in the west.... 10pm east coast.

Window of about 12hrs for secured snow precip/hail in heavy precip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy showers have fed into the West,here in Castlebar they have turned increasingly wintery.Plenty of Hail at the moment.

Heavy showers have fed into the West,here in Castlebar they have turned increasingly wintery.Plenty of Hail at the moment.

its not in raining in claremorris

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Temperature falling steadily here now, down to 4.3c from 6c in the last hour.

Met Warning update 1600
    Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan
    Very windy with some severe gusts. Strong to gale force west to northwest winds will produce gusts of 90 to 110 km/h in Connacht, Donegal, and in coastal areas of Munster. Elsewhere winds will gust between 80 and 90 km/hr.

After dark this evening (Monday), showers will become increasingly wintry, with the possibility of some accumulations of snow and hence slippery roads. The very strong winds could produce some blizzard like conditions, especially in the north and west on high ground.

Any lying snow will melt during Tuesday morning and afternoon as temperatures rise.

Issued:
    04 February 2013 16:00

Valid:
    04 February 2013 16:30 to 05 February 2013 23:59

Gerry Murphy working in Met Eireann this afternoon no doubt!

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

National Forecast

04 February 2013 16:58

Today

Showers turning wintry tonight, with snow falling in many areas and accumulating to several centimetres locally as the night goes on. Remaining very blustery and feeling bitterly cold. Lowest temperatures tonight of -1 to +2 degrees, with the risk of icy patches as well.

Tomorrow

A chilly start to Tuesday with further snow showers as well as some lying snow and icy stretches. During the morning, sunshine will develop and the snow showers will revert to rain as temperatures start to rise, and the snow will melt. It will be another very windy day with strong and gusty west to northwest winds. Highest temperatures of 6 to 8 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gerry Murphy working in Met Eireann this afternoon no doubt!

Whoever it is, they're spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

looking at the weather channel. It could be lamp post watching weather from about 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Are we expecting rain at first in the east turning to snow (I know crystal ball at the ready)? I would be hoping it's not too wet before the more wintry stuff potentially comes in.

Finner down to 3 degrees,Knock 4. (1700 Reports)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Is this the biggest streamer in the history of the world...:D

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013020412/gfs-2-168.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

bring on the snow !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met.ie going along with the met office regarding Ulster
    Ulster
    04 February 2013- updated at 18:00
    Tonight

This evening and tonight will be cold and windy with scattered wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet or snow, the snow accumulating in places especially on high ground and in mid and east Ulster. There is an ongoing risk of thunder. Westerly winds will be fresh to strong or locally gale force but winds will ease a little inland overnight allowing frost and ice to form in sheltered spots. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +2 Celsius.

So anyone in west ulster on low ground you'll get sweet FA on the ground according to the experts

Vudgie wrote: »
    Are we expecting rain at first in the east turning to snow (I know crystal ball at the ready)? I would be hoping it's not too wet before the more wintry stuff potentially comes in.

Wet doesnt matter unless its actually raining not snowing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wet doesnt matter unless its actually raining not snowing :p

Well it will be raining tomorrow. Any snow that falls at low levels during the night will be turned to slush tomorrow by the rising temps and rain. I hope people intending to make snowmen have their nightvision goggles and stopwatches ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well it will be raining tomorrow. Any snow that falls at low levels during the night will be turned to slush tomorrow by the rising temps and rain. I hope people intending to make snowmen have their nightvision goggles and stopwatches ready.

I do indeed!

MT said Cork may last a bit longer into the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heavy hailstorm just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Is this the biggest streamer in the history of the world...:D

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013020412/gfs-2-168.png?12

Just frontal precipitation. :)

It will for sure, coming for 1 night only :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Ground white with hail at sea level in Letterkenny just now, looks impressive as its coming in sideways!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement