Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rapid decrease in dew-points should commence in coming hours, down as low as -5c in parts of east by 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rapid decrease in dew-points should commence in coming hours, down as low as -5c in parts of east by 6am.

Met Eireann seems to be saying in their latest regional updates any snow would be confined to higher ground and mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

i dont understand how snow is suppose to stick on wet ground at temps around 1 degree surely water will melt the snow no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temp starting to drop here now nicely now its dark. Down to 3c now from 7c about 2hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Met Eireann say tonight will be mainly dry in South and Southeast (radio forecast 5:58pm)
    Can I bet my mortgage please that Cork will have lying snow by the morning and per usual the Met will have called it wrong!!!

• Advertisement

Met Eireann seems to be saying in their latest regional updates any snow would be confined to higher ground and mountains.

? Maybe on western coasts.

But i see this as the national forecast.

Showers turning wintry tonight, with snow falling in many areas and accumulating to several centimetres locally as the night goes on. Remaining very blustery and feeling bitterly cold. Lowest temperatures tonight of -1 to +2 degrees, with the risk of icy patches as well.

I agree it seems to contradict their national forecast:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp

Connacht
    04 February 2013- updated at 18:00

Tonight

Cold and windy this evening and tonight with scattered wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet or snow, the snow showers mostly on high ground, with accumulations there, but some snow showers falling at lower levels also. There is an ongoing risk of thunder and, at times in the high wind, blizzard conditions in any snow showers. Westerly winds will be fresh to strong or locally gale force and gusty but winds will ease a little well inland overnight allowing some frost and ice to form in sheltered areas. Lows of -1 to +2 Celsius.

Munster

Tonight

Cold and windy this evening and tonight in Munster with scattered showers of rain, hail, sleet and snow, some heavy with a slight risk of thunder. Some snow accumulations are likely in places overnight mostly on high ground and on mountains. Lows of -1 to +2 Celsius. Westerly winds will be strong to gale force in the west and southwest of the province with severe gusts in exposed areas there but winds will ease a little further inland allowing frost and ice to form in sheltered spots.

Ulster

Tonight

This evening and tonight will be cold and windy with scattered wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet or snow, the snow accumulating in places especially on high ground and in mid and east Ulster. There is an ongoing risk of thunder. Westerly winds will be fresh to strong or locally gale force but winds will ease a little inland overnight allowing frost and ice to form in sheltered spots. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +2 Celsius.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ME have downgraded, the orange alert that was in place earlier this afternoon has now been downgraded to a yellow alert. Clearly things are very volatile at the moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    i dont understand how snow is suppose to stick on wet ground at temps around 1 degree surely water will melt the snow no?

The air will melt the snow more like. Especially in those strong winds. That why the Met are going for lying snow mostly on higher ground (hence the "locally" in their forecast).

Most of us will see snow falling tonight (if you're awake) and it will look impressive at times. But it's gonna be messy for most in terms of sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Met Eireann say tonight will be mainly dry in South and Southeast (radio forecast 5:58pm)
    Can I bet my mortgage please that Cork will have lying snow by the morning and per usual the Met will have called it wrong!!!

On the basis most of us would be only too happy to part with our mortgages thats not saying much!

I hear you though.....

• Advertisement

ME have downgraded, the orange alert that was in place earlier this afternoon has now been downgraded to a yellow alert. Clearly things are very volatile at the moment.
    Was the Orange Alert not in relation to winds?

Anyway nothing much has changed, showers becoming widespread in coming hours turning to snow in most places away from western fringes from later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2 Degrees now at Knock along with a Hail Shower and a Gust of 42Kts....brrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

First proper snow shower now had a bit of sleet about an hour ago, I had guessed it would arrive about sevenish so not far out :)

You have to laugh, even in the bad old days we would get a 24hour toppler
    Now here we all are waiting with baited breath for an 8 hour snow window lol
    Anyways let's think positively, what comes tonight could be the best snow all Winter and worth enjoying

First proper snow shower now had a bit of sleet about an hour ago, I had guessed it would arrive about sevenish so not far out :)

Did it stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Did it stick?

Not yet, it's really rough out there , very windy during the showers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Don't do that! Where are you going to live after tomorrow? :)

All well and good having colder uppers later, but, I'd agree with Rougie - if snow does manage to fall, there will be very little chance of it sticking anywhere below about 250 metres, if it does stick, it will be very very temporary, as A) temps will be (well) above 0c, and, B) the wind will melt it even quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Big shower moving across Midlands now but here in North Kildare the temp and DP are still quite high (5 and 3 respectively) :(

Looking forward to seeing what the night brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wish some of yous could see the wind here at the moment and the hail, went outside for two minutes in it before losing my breath , feel like a thrown around teddy bear now, good adrenaline rush.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe an indication that lower DPs are starting to arrive? Belmullet reporting 4c DP 0c at 1800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Weather channel has changed its estimate for snowfall in sligo from 11pm to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

temp 3.6 and dp 1 here in citywest has dropped a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe an indication that lower DPs are starting to arrive? Belmullet reporting 4c DP 0c at 1800.

Bang on schedule going by the NAE. The rest of the country should be sub zero DPs by 10pm.

Pity about the temps.

Rougies wrote: »
    Bang on schedule going by the NAE. The rest of the country should be sub zero DPs by 10pm.

Pity about the temps.

That's just it! In a nutshell, snow - probably : lying snow - unlikely away from high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's just it! In a nutshell, snow - probably : lying snow - unlikely away from high ground.

Gerry doesn't agree with that!!

Good tv forecast tonight from Gerry Murphy
    Wasn't afraid to say the word snow tonight, indeed he mentioned blizzards
    Said it would melt tomorrow and snow would turn back to rain.

There now I just praised Met Eireann, why??? Because for a change they called it exactly the way the charts present it which is all we can ask

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gerry Ramper was just on, I mean murphy. :P
    P.S. BBC showing me white through the night, it will be interesting to see if they are right, Last time they werent, but maybe the whitness on their maps just means white on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Gerry drives me mad when he says " loads of snow blizzard like conditions but THANKFULLY it will all melt very fast in the morning" talk about heartbreaking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The story of our lives.
    The 3 most important words on here.

1/sleet.
    2/higher ground.
    3/downgrade .

• Advertisement

paddy ocon wrote: »
    Gerry drives me mad when he says " loads of snow blizzard like conditions but THANKFULLY it will all melt very fast in the morning" talk about heartbreaking :(

:D

If you ever hear Evelyn saying something like that you just know she has her fingers crossed behind her back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement