Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing post content following new boards layout

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Ever since boards has been 'upgraded' to the latest format - I find that when posting more detailed posts (that take that bit longer to put together), when I go to submit them, I've been logged out. When I hit the 'back' button, the post content has gone - and I have to start all over again.

This is very much a point of frustration. The login time is set to a very short duration. I'd imagine there are technical reasons why you have chosen this - but it is a drawback nonetheless.

Furthermore, when logging in, you have that box automatically 'ticked' for "stay logged in". Users have to manually untick that each and every time - and it's possible that at some stage, they will forget to do that. I use 'shared' computers to access boards at work - and the last thing I want is an automatic login. There must be many others faced with the same scenario..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are we seeing the same log-in page?

That little tick box would appear to solve both your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Victor wrote: »
    Are we seeing the same log-in page?

That little tick box would appear to solve both your problems.

Indeed. Original post edited to reflect that. I couldnt recall the exact wording you had for that field thats 'ticked' by default (and couldn't check while writing that post above. Anyways, it's the "stay logged in" checkbox I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As far as I know, having the "stay logged in" box checked will only keep you logged in if you close the program without logging out.
    If you log out when you're finished, you will still be asked for your password the next time you log in, so someone else logging in as you shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't know your password.

"Stay logged in" means you will stay logged-in until you press "Log out". It doesn't keep you logged-in in perpetuity.

If you select "Stay logged in", it won't automatically log you out after 15(?) minutes.

If you have composed a post and you are automatically logged-out, when the 'you are logged out' message comes up when you try to post, just log-in again and the post will appear.

I actually logged myself out deliberately when posting the last post and I ended up with a blank screen. There does seem to be a problem, but not necessarily as you describe it.

In the meantime, what you could do is type your posts in Notepad or similar word-processor and copy and paste when you are ready to post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Victor wrote: »

In the meantime, what you could do is type your posts in Notepad or similar word-processor and copy and paste when you are ready to post.

Thats a sort of long way around? I get the same or similar problem to the OP but it seems to be related to a poor Mobile Broadband connection so any long post gets the Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C treatment so I have a copy if posting fails.

Advertisement