Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

termination by LETTER?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

If I have a girl who worked for me 4 nights a week in my bar but whose performance was so bad, I cut her to 2 (with warning). I want her gone altogether. Can I let her know via letter in her locker? The plan was actually that she would find another job anyway and I'm going out of town on business for 2 weeks and want her gone before I get back. I asked her to come see me this weekend but..she has a party to go to. Today is saturday and I want her gone by next monday. Is this legal of me? She's been here less than a month with no contract - I don't want to pay her anything extra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Legal or not, it's very rude not to tell her face to face, let alone a letter in her locker, not even her home address. Call her and ask her to come in ASAP and tell her then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

maldon1 wrote: »
    Can I let her know via letter in her locker?

Not a great idea, apart from being very rude, you'll have no proof of her receiving the letter.
    maldon1 wrote: »
    I asked her to come see me this weekend but..she has a party to go to.Today is saturday and I want her gone by next monday.

If she can't come in for a meeting that's fair enough, inform her over the phone and follow it up with a registered termination letter to her address with P45/pay cheque etc. If she has to collect anything out of the locker arrange a time for her to come in.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Nominations for best boss of the year...

Seriously have some guts and do the decent thing. I'd also suggest revising your hiring practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She may not "get" the letter before June. Stuff gets lost in the post, etc. Heck, tell the manager to sack her. Otherwise she could come in when you're not there, and work a shift. If she does anything wrong, knowing you have sacked her, what would stop her committing sackable offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Like it or not this is your fault, not hers.
    You hired her or worse, delegated recruitment to someone who made the mess.

You are effectively putting her back on the dole even after she agreed to have her hours cut. Talk to her face to face and allow her 2 weeks to get something sorted... and most importantly make sure you don't have to do this to someone again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't think "guts" was ever the issue here, the boss was going away and wasn't going to see the employee and wanted her gone and was seeing if this was the only alternative to letting her know not to be there when OP gets back.

I think it's a bad idea though, can't you just get someone else who will be around the bar like a manager to let her know?

Worst case scenario, I'd do it over the phone. I really wouldn't NOT have someone tell her face to face or over the phone if she can't make it in.

Advertisement