Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Problem

Options
  • 02-02-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have an Epson DX4850 printer. Today suddenly the yellow wasn't printing at all - I've cleaned the heads three times - wasting loads of ink, taken out the cartridges and put them back and changed the yellow cartridge even though there was ink in it. Still the nozzle check is patchy for the yellow and printing a patch of yellow shows bands.

Can anyone help? Do I need to replace the printer - at the moment I feel inclined to jump up and down on top of it.

Any recommendations for a printer with separate cartridges that will take fairly heavy card?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have an Epson DX4850 printer. Today suddenly the yellow wasn't printing at all - I've cleaned the heads three times - wasting loads of ink, taken out the cartridges and put them back and changed the yellow cartridge even though there was ink in it. Still the nozzle check is patchy for the yellow and printing a patch of yellow shows bands.

Can anyone help? Do I need to replace the printer - at the moment I feel inclined to jump up and down on top of it.

Any recommendations for a printer with separate cartridges that will take fairly heavy card?

Thanks
    Try leaving the printer off overnight, then see if the ink is flowing again the next day. Are you using original or compatible cartridges?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

When you say you've "cleaned the heads three times" is that with the software or did you actually remove the printhead and clean it by hand?

There is fluid you can buy for this if it is really clogged which you have to leave overnight.... of course if all this fails then the printhead is likely damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

Compatible

With the software. I'd printed something green before the yellow stopped working, I think it must have been working then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you have Rubbing Alcohol and cotton swobs you could try removing all the inks, cleaning the print nozzles with swobs that have been dipped in the alcohol. Wait for the alcohol to dry/evaporate then re-install the cartridges and leave it overnight. This can sometimes help. It could also be a faulty compatible ink cartridge that wasn't filled with enough ink so the printer cannot refill the reservoir fully

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

^^ second that, sounds clogged, clean the printhead by hand. Most of the time warm water on a lint free cloth does the trick.

I took the cartridges out and cleaned where they were. There was a lot of blue ink and the printer is now saying that the blue ink cartridge, that I changed this morning, is empty. Will leave it alone until tomorrow and see what happens. Problem is I need to order ink now but I don't want to do it if the printer is faulty. Thanks for you suggestions.

Printer is working on all colours today. Thanks all.

Advertisement