Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love2love wrote: »
    Eeekkkkkk!!! Loving the influx in posts this week. Could that mean people's focus is shifting from summer to winter? :)

I haven't even had my summer holidays yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I had my holiday back in June so I'm well on the polar express :D

Heading to Galway for a week with all my family and I actually hope the weather is cold but don't tell my family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

getting so excited, i love all the decorations, and i've already listened to some music, hubby thinks i'm mad....but wnt be paying argos prices for the decorations, will wait for the sales...wouldnt mind picking up some bits - like half price stuff in debenhams though - too far away from me i'm afriad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I reckon its about the time of year I start my Christmas knitting if I want to get it all done in time! Last year was a mad rush to the finish and some last minute runs to the shop for something bought instead :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I spent about a month knitting a beautiful scarf for a friend's Christmas present a couple of Christmases' ago and she got me... a salt and pepper shaker. From the €2 shop. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

The weather is turning and it's heading towards Autumn/Winter and Christmas!

My Mum came back from her holidays in Italy and got me some Christmas decorations! She knows me too well!

She was in the Alps for a daytrip and she showed me some of her pictures - there's still a good bit of snow high up and I was imagining all the lovely chalets covered in snow and it made me feel all Christmassy.

So looking forward to it this year.

Would love to pack in as much Christmassy things as possible this year.
    I'll start making plans now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

Oh Posy, you poor thing. That can happen sometimes. Maybe your friend was broke? Did she know you were making her something?

It can feel awful when you make a big deal of someone and they don't really bother. Some people aren't great with gifts though, so try not to take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Posy wrote: »
    I spent about a month knitting a beautiful scarf for a friend's Christmas present a couple of Christmases' ago and she got me... a salt and pepper shaker. From the €2 shop. :(
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't help giggling when I read this! I can just imagine the reaction when opening up the present!!!

Yeah, I realised later that she is just a bit of a skin-flint when it comes to presents. I don't give to receive of course, but I do limit myself to about a tenner for her now! :pac:

Made me chuckle out loud on the bus Posy!!

Was walking in the rain earlier and it's just felt so autumn-y!! Like stew weather!! Although now the sun is shining again :mad:

• Advertisement

Happy Autumn everyone! Tis (almost) the season to be jolly.......

I'm also a Halloween fan!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Happy Autumn everyone! Tis (almost) the season to be jolly.......

I'm also a Halloween fan!

When I was younger I used to love Halloween now I see it as an unnecessary distraction on the road to Christmas!

Loughc wrote: »
    When I was younger I used to love Halloween now I see it as an unnecessary distraction on the road to Christmas!

Try and look at it as a practice run - decorations, celebrations etc ;) Oh, I love the dark evenings.....it was totally dark here last night at 10 (I'm turning into my father!!!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Try and look at it as a practice run - decorations, celebrations etc ;) Oh, I love the dark evenings.....it was totally dark here last night at 10 (I'm turning into my father!!!)

I love the dark evenings myself, I can't wait for the cold to set in as well, I love it when there's a bite in the air! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know it's only August but I can really feel Christmas starting to creep in now.
    I find the first sign begins when Argos catalogue comes out with all the Christmas decorations and toys in late July.
    Then it is August and it is the start of Autumn and the shops are all about going back to school for the first few weeks. Then a lot of people's first glimpse of Christmas is hear when the X-factor auditions begin. I think this is an excellent weekly countdown to Christmas week. In the last week of August the Rose of Tralee is on and in the last few years Tesco have the tins of Christmas sweets in stock. We always get a tin to watch the Rose of Tralee with.
    Then it is September and some people feel comfortable mentioning Christmas and start buying little presents around now. The Smyths Toy Catalogue normally comes out in late September around when the ploughing championships are on.
    Then it October and the evenings begin to get a lot darker and the supermarkets have most of there Christmas stock on the shelves. The X-factor live shows are general on now and stores such as boots launch there Christmas gift guides. At the end of the month it is Halloween and once this is over the shops begin to stock even more Christmas stuff.
    When November arrives people aren't to afraid to mention Christmas anymore compared to before. Programs begin to mention Christmas and the cookery shows begin. Also the lights begin to up in November waiting for them to be switched on in a few weeks. This also when I start think of my presents and what I am going to give people and I really start buying presents/decorations.
    If I am being honest I prefer shopping for present more than online shopping because I love the atmosphere and looking at the stuff. In the last week of November a of of towns have their lights switched and X-mas FM begins.
    In December Christmas is nearly hear the shops begin to get busy and all the Santa's grotto's are open. People begin getting worried about will they get everything done/bought and most people start putting up there Christmas decorations.
    In the second/third week people begin icing there cakes and worrying over the dinner etc. You also begin to receive the majority of your Christmas cards in the post.
    When Christmas week arrives people are excited/rushed about the day a head. The x-factor is over and there is nearly always a campaign now to keep them out of the Number one spot. In the last few days people begin to buy there turkeys and hams and doing there big shop which may take pace on Christmas eve. You nearly always end up with so much food you have no where to put it.
    On Christmas eve people get up really early to beat everybody to the shops to get the last few bits needed for the big day. With us this equals another trolley of shopping for some reason. In the after noon presents are wrapped and delivered to friends/relatives and once it comes to 6/7 o clock you relies the shops are closed and you hope you have everything. We normally cook are ham of Christmas eve so I always eat some of this on the night. We also begin to prepare the dinner and desserts for the next day. Then we normally go to a late mass and then its home to do more Christmasy stuff.
    Then you go to bed and wake up and it's Christmas morning.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Cyber735

<snip>

Cyber735 wrote: »
    *cough* *cough* August 1st *cough

:D

Well this is the Christmas forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

reading that made me even more excited, cant wait for the stock to come out....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

What a lovely post freshpopcorn you describe the build up so well

I have to say I am not overly impressed with the wishing for bad weather though I am heading down to Clare and Kerry for a fortnight holidays so hoping for sunshine - then it can get cold:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We booked our trip to the Cologne Christmas market today :D

I don't care, I'm gonna go see German Santa!

• Advertisement

We booked our trip to the Cologne Christmas market today :D

I don't care, I'm gonna go see German Santa!

DH & I and baby 1 went there Christmas 2007. The markets were fab, mad busy though, we went the weekend before Christmas. The smells alone made the trip worth it. It was so cold there at the time, but in hindsight we have had colder winters here since. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

My mother just booked a trip to Vienna for the Christmas markets. Very excited (extremely jealous too!:D) for her!! She always brings me back a crazy decoration or ornament.

I get excited about Christmas nearly more when others are excited about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Soooo....just listening to Perry Como "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" - its my favourite version of this song!!:pac: It's the 4th August!!!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I really want to stick of some christmas music :) I've started my shopping so I'm in the zone now :D

I seen 'turkey foil' today in Dunnes which is in a green box with holly on it. Between that and the dark evenings now that it's autumn I'm feeling damn festive!

I haven't started shopping yet or even made a list, but I have now successfully saved enough for Christmas so at least I don't have to worry about finances and can begin Christmas shopping very soon. :D

dbbae208f020c8d88992419afd010da7.jpg

Just saw these on pinterest! They are so cute! Can't wait to start planning the table decor for Christmas day!

Oh I NEED them!!

Posy wrote: »
    Oh I NEED them!!

Pinterest is great but oh so bad! There are so many cool Christmas crafts that I want to start making!

Posy, why don't you give knitting them a shot? If nothing else, we'll all be VERY impressed with you! They are so cute....

Lol, I have the chair covers, tablecloth, snowman placemats, snowman wineglasses, dinnerware.....do ye think these would be overkill for me :p

• Advertisement

do ye think these would be overkill for me :p
    No. No they would not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement