Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just downloaded plenty of Christmas themed podcasts to my phone. This should make the commutes to work that bit easier :-)

Woohoo 5,000th post, posted in my favourite place on boards as well :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

5000logo_s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Our first purchase of 2015!

Do you mind me asking where you got it, it is gorgeous and my daughter would love it

I came across this last year. It shows you what is on at Christmas. As the TV stations releases there Christmas programs it gets added here. But (here's the fun part, if yo are a bit mad like me��) you can look back over the years from 1936 and up you can see what was shown on Christmas for the year you choose. It coveres itv, bbc, ch4 and ch5

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com

• Registered Users Posts: 30,522 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

shelly22 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you got it, it is gorgeous and my daughter would love it

Brown Thomas. It was € 8.

• Advertisement

Brown Thomas. It was € 8.

Thank you so much, my daughter is kitten crazy she would adore this
    Now I have the perfect excuse to go to the Christmas shop

I keep on going to Tresco hoping that they'll have the tins of sweets in. Has anybody actually seen them yet this year?
    I heard roses are going to be in a different wrapper this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

shelly22 wrote: »
    I came across this last year. It shows you what is on at Christmas. As the TV stations releases there Christmas programs it gets added here. But (here's the fun part, if yo are a bit mad like me��) you can look back over the years from 1936 and up you can see what was shown on Christmas for the year you choose. It coveres itv, bbc, ch4 and ch5

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com

What an incredible find Shelly! :) So many great memories there. Isn't it a shame there isn't more of the Christmas special tv these days, instead of the annual misery fest from the soaps? :rolleyes:

And thanks to you, I found this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

I keep on going to Tresco hoping that they'll have the tins of sweets in. Has anybody actually seen them yet this year?

they are in Dunnes already, have been for over a week now! thought theyd be in Tesco by now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Same here ! :( surprised it's taken tesco so long to be honest ! Don't they usually have they out before other chains each year !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

And Dunnes already bringing prices down on the tins/tubs...They were €9 I think, today they are €7! so it begins...The tubs look the same as last year to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

The tins / tubs are definitely smaller again this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love2love wrote: »
    The tins / tubs are definitely smaller again this year :(

FGS!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Give it a few years and it will be a couple of sweets for a tenner the way they're going.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This topic comes up every year because for the past four years they've been decreasing in size and it came up at Easter with the creme egg, what frustrates me is people take to Twitter to give out but continue to buy them either as gifts or for themselves.

If people want the decreasing size to stop they need to stop buying them for that reason, last year I wasn't impressed with the Roses tub so I only got Quality Streets and Celebrations. Saying that we ended up getting 3 Roses tubs as gifts, through family and work.

The more people continue to buy them the more they'll keep decreasing the size and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Loughc wrote: »
    This topic comes up every year because for the past four years they've been decreasing in size and it came up at Easter with the creme egg, what frustrates me is people take to Twitter to give out but continue to buy them either as gifts or for themselves.

If people want the decreasing size to stop they need to stop buying them for that reason, last year I wasn't impressed with the Roses tub so I only got Quality Streets and Celebrations. Saying that we ended up getting 3 Roses tubs as gifts, through family and work.

The more people continue to buy them the more they'll keep decreasing the size and quality.

But no one is going to stop buying them. Even if it's a small tin, you end up getting them for €5. So you don't cast what's in them, because it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You'd be better off getting the small boxes or you know, don't they do these boxes at Christmas that are see through plastic and you can see the sweets. They might even be better chocolate and better value - might be made in a different factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

The debate over the size of the tins of sweets does come up every year. It's almost as inevitable as the "it's too early " arguments you hear! I genuinely think it's a shame that the manufacturers are using the season to try and cash in while the customer gets less every year. :( very unchristmassy if you ask me. But people will always buy them, as mentioned earlier it's almost a tradition, for guests etc.its a vicious circle. :(

• Advertisement

I stopped buying them because they taste rubbish. I've gone off chocolate in general though. It's very upsetting.

According to that article they are getting rid of the twist wrappings too :eek:
    That's the last straw! Not a chance of me buyng them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

Not buying them either but as others have said I'm sure we'll receive them as presents because they're recognised brands. We're thinking of Aldi and Lidl sweets this year and perhaps a few good quality ones then maybe from a stall or from Lily O Briens etc. A small amount of good quality food is probably better than a large amount of mass produced junk. It's such a pity but they're just not nice anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

This year's Yankee Advent Calendars.

360492.jpg

360493.jpg

So true,

igw9if.jpg

TheArt & Hobby shops have some of their Christmas Stock in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Seen Christmas cards in Debenhams on Saturday

kitten_k wrote: »
    Seen Christmas cards in Debenhams on Saturday

That's amazing. :D They have started to stock their food gifts too.

You know what would go with this weather? A lovely Christmas tree. The clouds are so dark that it looks like the world is going to end soon. A few lights would brighten the place up. I might light my Feliz Navidad candle. Incidentally, the candle has been on the fireplace since Christmas and my husband only noticed it was there the other day. It's perfectly positioned across from where he sits when we eat dinner but he still didn't notice it.

• Advertisement

I'm the 3000 poster.
    I was in Tesco at the weekend. I saw small boxes of Roses. The box is redesigned. It's sort of a light blue.
    There's also a new sweet in it. I think it's some sort of almond toffee. All the wrappers are changed and they look so strange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement