Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Whispered you have a son born in December too if I remember correctly ? Maybe your my doppelganger lol :)

I do! and I met a lady in teh chemist the other day whose son is exactly a year older than my boy AND he has the same nickname :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't halloween originally all hallows eve to mark the end of the harvest season? Ok granted were now more about latex zombie bites and fake blood but originally I believe it was to mark the end of a season ?

Oh I know but I mean it's not celebrated like the Christmas season is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,522 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh I know but I mean it's not celebrated like the Christmas season is.

Oh sorry must have misread your post ! In fairness I know a lot of parents in my area who only throw up a few decorations a few days before halloween/christmas after their kids complain they have no decorations up and x y or z house does. I never understand that though? For any season or celebration. Why would people put up decorations at the last minute only to take them down a few days later. I want my kids and myself ( :D ) to appreciate and enjoy the decorations ! I think it would be too stressful to do it all last minute !?

Ok confused random rant over ... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tesco!

Tesco launched their Christmas food range the same date each year for the past three years I just noticed it on my Facebook memories posts.

• Advertisement

Tesco!

Omg ! Selection boxes ! I need those .... grabs keys and heads to nearest tesco :):)

Whispered wrote: »
    I do! and I met a lady in teh chemist the other day whose son is exactly a year older than my boy AND he has the same nickname :D

Clearly we should hold a meeting somewhere to avoid these awkward future run ins lol ! Have you decided what to do re the party in December ?

Clearly we should hold a meeting somewhere to avoid these awkward future run ins lol ! Have you decided what to do re the party in December ?

We will definitely do something and I'd rather it not be in the house. Hopefully a birthday and welcoming party.

I've contacted a few local pubs to see what their availability is but having something in a pub isn't really sitting well with me. Because its a kids party but an adult celebration. People don't mind having a christening in a pub. But this isn't exactly a christening.

I'd love to find somewhere unique. If it wasn't weather dependant a marquee would be ideal :)

I wonder if I could do something at I Believe.

I'd love to find somewhere unique. If it wasn't weather dependant a marquee would be ideal :)

I wonder if I could do something at I Believe.

No harm in asking ! Definitely agree with pub and house. I'm too much of a clean freak to let a group of wobblers lose in my house :/

I'm not your doppelgänger then! I'm too messy to bother cleaning to the standard needed to have a party in the house lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Where does everyone here buy there selection boxes ?

I get them on the stalls in Dublin (3 for €5). Every year, on Christmas eve. Its a tradition.

Where does everyone here buy there selection boxes ?

I get them on the stalls in Dublin (3 for €5). Every year, on Christmas eve. Its a tradition.

I get the small ones in dealz for €1.49 and maybe the odd one or two in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I haven't bought selection boxes in years, I usually fill my other halfs,mams and my godmothers stocking with all their favourite goodies, for my other half its the only time of year he'll eat his old time favourites drumstick lollies, refresher sweets

Last year I chipped a tooth due to iced caramels left in my stocking no more of them for me

As mentioned in a post above, deals for smaller selection boxes for very young children and normally tesco run a promotional offer on selection boxes so I stock up then for the family
    !

I'm not your doppelgänger then! I'm too messy to bother cleaning to the standard needed to have a party in the house lol

Made me laugh put loud when I read that ! I'm sure your house is lovely your probably just being too hard on yourself. Comes with the mom label I'm afraid ! As one of my friends often says she is more concerned about making memories than a mess !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Christmas Family guy on Fox tonight ☺ it has started!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Never a selection box person. I am a chocolate coins type of guy. One year my Mum forgot to put them in our stockings, myself and my bro were not happy. We brought it up all day. I think he was about 30 at the time, me in my 20's.

I love the Christmas food thread, all the mad things you "must" do with turkeys. "cook it upside down", "tinfoil facing in", "brine it for two days in these handy 72 ingredient bath"

I am LOVING just how busy the forum has been over the past couple of weeks there is absolutely a buzz in the air :D

I just love this forum it never fails to make me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm so excited about Christmas this year! Last year I was pregnant and due in December so the season itself passed me by a bit... This year I have my little guy's first birthday on the 8th, that'll probably kick off Christmas in our house (plus I'm not back at work til January, woohoo!)

A few people here have smallies born in December. Coincidence I think not ... may be some subconscious planning going on here .. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Likewise, is this the time to tell folks we're planning a December wedding?

Definitely NOT a coincidence on that one! :P:P:P:P

I was born in December even though I wasn't due until February but there was no way I was missing Christmas :P

I'd love to do a Christmas wedding but I'm marrying a teacher so we're making use of the summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »

I'd love to do a Christmas wedding but I'm marrying a teacher so we're making use of the summer holidays.

Makes sense. We're quite dramatic, and couldn't really give up the thoughts of a winter wedding with the excuse to wear velvet and (fake) fur and have piles of candles and sparkles and serve hot chocolate! I hate hot weather too, so tbh I'd be miserable if my wedding was a hot day.

Likewise, is this the time to tell folks we're planning a December wedding?

Definitely NOT a coincidence on that one! :P:P:P:P

Omg congrats !!..... Immediately gets onto pinterest to pin christmas wedding inspiration lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

This year to start off the Christmas for us my boyfriend and I are going to Galway to the Christmas markets.

For his birthday/our anniversary I booked us a few nights down there to coincide with the start of the markets.

I've never been to Christmas markets before and I am dying to go, I just can't wait for it. I'm so excited.

Counting down the days until we can go now. :D

Also hoping to start my Xmas shopping in the next few weeks, I usually pick up something each week to spread the cost and also cos I prefer to get things as I see them rather then waiting to do one big shop then not being able to get what it is I want to get :)

Last year and this year have been tough years for our family so I am hoping Christmas this year will be a quiet and relaxed affair.

Makes sense. We're quite dramatic, and couldn't really give up the thoughts of a winter wedding with the excuse to wear velvet and (fake) fur and have piles of candles and sparkles and serve hot chocolate! I hate hot weather too, so tbh I'd be miserable if my wedding was a hot day.

Oh that sounds just fab ! I don't know if I could have a Christmas wedding though ? We have been engage for a while but I never considered a christmas wedding. We have one to attend this year so maybe that will change my mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Does anyone else buy presents for themselves when your doing your christmas shopping, or just me :P

Does anyone else buy presents for themselves when your doing your christmas shopping, or just me :P

Omg laughed so hard when I read that :D I buy lots of new christmas themed bits for the house and I do spend a bit on clothes. But other than that I buy myself something nice, and start my early christmas shopping in the January sales ! I do take a pic of something I'd like though and send it on to my OH If I'd like it for christmas. He seems to think I'm an awkward person to shop for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

More stuff I bought and forgot about.....though I reckon the snowman was meant for American friends.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

I like yer thinking!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement