Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

SarahLil wrote: »
    Thanks, need a trip to Yankee too can't wait till they shift all the Halloween Stock, I need Christmas Cookie it sold out last year I couldn't get it anywhere

Yankee have their Christmas stock in and yes they have Christmas cookie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loughc wrote: »
    Thank you I better stock up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ah Christmas wrapping. I do it all at once too. When I go home I stay with my folks and as its their house I can't kick them out of the sitting room or kitchen so I wrap everything in my old bedroom.

I have the Christmas tunes on, curtains open to see everyone heading over and back to the shops and stopping to chat with people, which they would never do any other time of year. I might have wine, cider or a short with ice with me, or five.

The difference between the first present I wrap and the last is vast due to annoyance of cutting and wrapping on a soft bed and the quantities of booze. The recipient of the final present I wrap mainly gets selotape as present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Bought my first Christmas present last night! :D

PQ-700x420.jpg

That is on the wish list, I will probably have to wait a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Say you're attending a party near Christmas, but not an actual Christmas party. Would you rather be offered

A) mulled wine
    B) mulled cider and some normal wine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Whispered wrote: »
    Say you're attending a party near Christmas, but not an actual Christmas party. Would you rather be offered

A) mulled wine

B for me, I'm not a fan of mulled wine at all. But love Mulled Cider and normal wine haha.

Plus any alcohol choice with "and" in it is good, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

A) mulled wine

Mulled cider and some normal white /red wine. I find that mulled wine is great to have a Christmas parties or any party in the general Christmas season but it's not every bodies cup of tea. I think it's one of those things people like to know is there!

Plus any alcohol choice with "and" in it is good, right? :D

Exactly you had me at and haha.

• Advertisement

A) mulled wine

B :P

B without the mulled bit.

Posy wrote: »
    No need for the :o:o on this forum! I'm sure Loughc has all his presents bought since February. :pac::pac:

How did I miss this! :P

I'm actually really bad at buying presents early, I've four gotten so far and that is good going for me haha!

FYI Boots have the Christmas Cookie and all Yankee Large Jars as part of their 3 for 2 offer.

How did I miss this! :P

I'm actually really bad at buying presents early, I've four gotten so far and that is good going for me haha!

FYI Boots have the Christmas Cookie and all Yankee Large Jars as part of their 3 for 2 offer.

...there's an ONW shaped hole in the wall.

Gone to Boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

What do i get my in laws....

So hard!!
    only something small...

I've two mother in laws.. and one father in law..

Other half is adopted and we see both...

SO HARD TO BUY FOR

Random question but does any else still do the big pre christmas clean anymore? Listening to a thing on the radio earlier and it was saying how there is a generation of young girls (don't shoot me just repeating what was said ! ) growing up lacking basic home makers skills. Think it was the end of a debate of survey I was listening to. Anyway, wondering I am the only one is still cracked enough to be doing this? Is it a generational thing ? I do it because I saw my mam doing it etc? Mr glitzgirl tends to avoid me when I start my big pre christmas clean.. He says I get a bit crazy :p

shakencat wrote: »

So hard!!
    only something small...

SO HARD TO BUY FOR

Prehaps a gift basket or hamper ? With some nice sweets or a bottle of wine / whiskey ? Covers all bases !

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    ...there's an ONW shaped hole in the wall.

Gone to Boots!

Haha still laughing reading this! :D and all I can picture is sonething out of a Tom and Jerry episide where the cat leaves a hole in the wall trying to get out of the room so fast! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So hard!!
    only something small...

SO HARD TO BUY FOR
    Do they drink? My husband always gets my parents a couple of bottles of wine in a nice box. They're big winos so they appreciate it. Thankfully his family does kris kindle so I don't have to worry about buying for his parents unless I pick out their name!
    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Random question but does any else still do the big pre christmas clean anymore? Listening to a thing on the radio earlier and it was saying how there is a generation of young girls (don't shoot me just repeating what was said ! ) growing up lacking basic home makers skills. Think it was the end of a debate of survey I was listening to. Anyway, wondering I am the only one is still cracked enough to be doing this? Is it a generational thing ? I do it because I saw my mam doing it etc? Mr glitzgirl tends to avoid me when I start my big pre christmas clean.. He says I get a bit crazy :p

I like the idea of a big pre Christmas clean but in practice I never get around to it. I suppose it's because we only have one room with decorations in it and it's always pretty clean. We also rarely have visitors at Christmas so I couldn't be bothered doing a big clean just for us. My husband and I are on the same page when it comes to cleaning. As long as it looks okay from a distance it's fine. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So hard!!
    only something small...

SO HARD TO BUY FOR

When I'm stuck for people like that when you're not really sure to get, a nice Christmas decoration or candle set or something goes a long way - the type that they will have for years to come. If it seems a bit small by itself maybe add some nice wine or whatever their favourite food/drink indulgence is.

• Advertisement

Glitz what sort of things do you do for your big clean? I'll have to do one this year as we are hosting a party but I think I'm a bit blind to the things that other people will notice. :D

Glitz what sort of things do you do for your big clean? I'll have to do one this year as we are hosting a party but I think I'm a bit blind to the things that other people will notice. :D

Oh god I dunno where to start. I genuinely think I have a touch of ocd lol :p a lot of stuff I do every week anyway like clean the fridge etc, but in November or if I'm really organised late sept /early October I will get
    • any painting touched up (with dogs and kids this needs to be done )
    • white wood work glossed, doors, windows etc,
    • normally try clean the grout in bathroom , floor tlies etc
    •windows have to be cleaned
    • usual out door stuff like gutters cleaned, chimney etc
    • completely organise and do a big De clutter. If it doesn't have a place or hasn't been used it's gone.
    • chest freezer defrosted and reorganised too.

Sure I'm missing other stuff but it's mostly covered in my weekly clean. I'm sure I'll think of the other big clean jobs randomly tonight while I'm trying to sleep ! :p

Oh forgot to add, and my own personal pet hate, cleaning the wooden blinds. Hate doing that job. Curtains are all washed too while blinds been cleaned but I don't mind that, the washing machine does the work there ! :)

Ooh good luck with the party! I want to have a small pre christmas get together, but still trying to convince Mr glitzgirl that it's a good idea. We have completely different ideas about organisation and house cleaning in general so he's happy to not have any functions that require additional work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

House gets a real deep clean before the decorations go up, otherwise how do you clean around them? It takes a full day to do it but it means that come christmas week a quick clean gets it looking pretty

The night the trees go up I'll sit on the couch and admire all my hard work ☺ With a compulsory glass of mulled wine

House gets a real deep clean before the decorations go up, otherwise how do you clean around them? It takes a full day to do it but it means that come christmas week a quick clean gets it looking pretty

The night the trees go up I'll sit on the couch and admire all my hard work ☺ With a compulsory glass of mulled wine

Replace that glass of mulled wine with a white wine spritzer and the compulsory tin of sweets and that's what I'll be doing on the night of the 27th ! Seriously though if anyone has any questions just ask RentDayBlues if I'm not around our answers are so similar I'm starting to wonder do I have a twin out there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Ye, a box of wine and whiskey might go down well..
    Or a meal voucher like.. for a restaurant..

i stocked up on a few selection boxes just there in tesco..
    for the few kiddies that have been born into my distant life!

3 euro a pop.. they are always sold out closer to xmas!! get them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know that one set of our lights for our Christmas tree is definitely broken so have to buy new ones....was so disappointed last year when they broke while on the tree...grrrrr! I hate fairy lights, so temperamental! I don't know is it really worth buying more expensive lights though - are they really any better? Any recommendations??

leahyl wrote: »
    I know that one set of our lights for our Christmas tree is definitely broken so have to buy new ones....was so disappointed last year when they broke while on the tree...grrrrr! I hate fairy lights, so temperamental! I don't know is it really worth buying more expensive lights though - are they really any better? Any recommendations??

LED lights are good, have a set 7 years and no problems at all. Bought fairy lights one year and all three broke before new years.

I did get LED's last year in woodies, the transformer broke but picked up another set this year, woodies fully refunded me, and are doing 30% off until Saturday on all Christmas stock

On woodies lights, they are two very similar ranges but very expensive differences. One set flashes and is almost twice the price, I picked up the set of 400 LED'S in soft white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well hello Thursday night. :D

367029.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement