Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Heres a great little free app to keep the little ones busy (and the not so little ones) while you do your christmas chores :)

Christmas games
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kidgames.christmas.pack

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been doing a big clear out of all the clutter in the kitchen today and I found a pack of Christmas beer mats that I bought in Ikea last year. Every time I lift my glass I see Santa's head!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Pfft, 'Shires'! If you don't know that the Budweiser Horses are Clydesdales, then you can't claim that it's your favourite ad! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Saw this today:

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-home-decorations/school-christmas-fayre-light-up-canvas/invt/063746

Isn't it just gorgeous?
    My Mam and I were admiring it and we're both buying one.
    I love scenes like these :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Have pre-ordered my late late toy show pjs 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just a deleted scene from Elf. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Watched Die hard last night, fell asleep before the end but what a movie. THat's the start of if now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Getting ready to light the fire, grocery shopping done, kids in school, more presents just got delivered and I'm sitting here listening to the wind outside :o so glad I'm not out in that today ! Might make myself a hot chocolate while Im deciding where to put up my Christmas deco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Is there anyone on the forum who works in Tescos?
    I got a pack of 240 indoor and outdoor warm coloured multifunction lights last year at a bargain of 17e during the last week of November, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if they might be dropping the price again this year? I absolutely love them, and I want another set, but I dont have 35e for them!

Or if anyone seems them discounted in a Dublin store please tell me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Just set my Christmas ringtone, instrumental version of white Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I need more money to shop :(:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My first horse was half Clyde so I feel anyone who doesn't recognise a Clyde is in need of long monologues from me about Clydes. You have been warned.

After my time spent stroking the Christmas jumpers in Penneys this morning, I spent a bit of time stroking this duvet cover in M&S. It's beautiful brushed cotton and if it wasn't €80 for a king size set it would already be on my bed!

Oh that is nice. I think I might treat myself to it. I need to get shopping done haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Aldi https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thu-19-nov/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

and lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

After my time spent stroking the Christmas jumpers in Penneys this morning, I spent a bit of time stroking this duvet cover in M&S. It's beautiful brushed cotton and if it wasn't €80 for a king size set it would already be on my bed!

I hmmmed and hawed over it but couldn't spend the money! Going to try get my hands on this one instead. Half the price and still festive. It felt nice too.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/duvet-covers/christmas-love-red-duvet-cover/invt/tbdchrlovred01

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG that's stunning....but 80 euro?! I don't think so :(

So Odeon are giving a Christmas jumpers for their Ben & Jerrys tubs when you order a 3 scoop Ben & Jerrys.

14mt5yg.jpg
    xnwv4n.jpg

They are very cute. :D

• Advertisement

3 scoops of ice cream for lunch so. :D Love it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's so miserable out I have the lights on in my kitchen. I was just looking out the window and thinking how lovely it will look in a few weeks when the window is framed by fairy lights. The dark grey skies will almost look cosy when viewed through a fairy haze. :)

The grey skies definitely need to be brightened up with lights!

The weather is fab here today today. Gorgeous blue sky and it's finally properly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I hope the weather is like 2010 again when the first 2/3 weeks in November were really mild and then the Beast from the East bullied it's way in and it was a winter wonderland :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ok so I have serious concern about how early Christmas starts and how that effects young children. Please don't think I'm bah-humbugging because I'm not and I think I've posted enough here in the last few weeks that most posters should know that I'm Christmas crazy. But this week I've had a bit of a taste of how confusing it is for small children as all the Christmas ads on tv had my 3 year old convinced Santa would be coming for his birthday last Tuesday. It's made me think about how very, very slowly time passes for a child. I remember one year when I was 8/9 that Zig and Zag put up their Christmas tree on November 23rd and thought Christmas was 2 days away. I was old enough to know better, especially as my birthday is at the start of December and I knew that hadn't happened yet, but I got so excited that Christmas might somehow, magically, be just 2 days away. When Ray/Ian explained to Zig and Zag that they were looking at the wrong page of the calender and it was actually a month and 2 days to Christmas I felt almost sick with disappointment and the misery of having to wait such a very, very long time until Christmas.

So I want to try and counter that with my son. We first saw a mega Christmas display on the 20th of October and he has been excited about Christmas ever since. So I'm thinking of teaching him less about Christmas the day and more about Christmas the 'season.' He isn't too happy about the worsening weather and the shorter days, so my plan is to tell him that to cope with the winter people created Christmas time to make the dark days cheery. (Which would be the actual truth). That festivities start at the end of November when we decorate and watch the Toy Show, then we start our advent-ures where the magical Tomte arrives (a Swedish gnome my brother who lives in Sweden gave us that we put on top of our tree and who will do naughty Elf-on-the-shelf type stuff while also arranging a daily activity from 1-24 Dec). I also have Christmas books for every night of December. Then on Christmas Eve Santa comes and the 12 days of Christmas start. I'll arrange a great activity for each of the 12 days. And on the last day of Christmas, which is actually the 5th, we'll take down the decorations and have a Twelfthnight party. After which he'll get a present of superhero pyjamas to celebrate the approach of spring.

I think that will help to make the 2 month long wait for Christmas super exciting rather than torturous and it will also mean that we aren't having a massive build up to one day and then it's all over, which I find really miserable.

3 is a tough age. They have no concept of time at that age. Next year it will be different for him I'm sure. There will always be things that we have to wait for and at least Christmas is a nice way for him to learn about patience! It's a great idea to teach him all about the season rather than focusing on one day. Every parent should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

So very true, remember how December used to seem soooo long when I was small, it all kicks off in October now - must be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG that's stunning....but 80 euro?! I don't think so :(

I believe they have something similar in Lidl

I just read that it's snowing in Donegal. Road trip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I just read that it's snowing in Donegal. Road trip?

Really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement