Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Whispered wrote: »
    Very Christmassy weekend here. Yesterday we got the first Santa gift every bought in this house. Then today I got a gazebo for the babies birthday party, we had dinner in a little pub then we had Christmas coffees, including a Babychino for himself. While there I had a lovely chat with a lady about how the Christmas coffees were the start of the season for both us, told her how it's the babies first Christmas (last year doesn't count Coz we were in new baby daze and don't even remember it). We wished each other a merry Christmas - first one of the year. :D I did wonder if maybe she was a member here Coz she was definitely a Christmas nut :p
    Then instead of supper we had mulled cider and mince pies.

Fa la la la laaaaa, la la la laaaaa.

Brilliant, I do wonder the same when I meet Christmas nuts like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Whispered wrote: »
    Very Christmassy weekend here. Yesterday we got the first Santa gift every bought in this house. Then today I got a gazebo for the babies birthday party, we had dinner in a little pub then we had Christmas coffees, including a Babychino for himself. While there I had a lovely chat with a lady about how the Christmas coffees were the start of the season for both us, told her how it's the babies first Christmas (last year doesn't count Coz we were in new baby daze and don't even remember it). We wished each other a merry Christmas - first one of the year. :D I did wonder if maybe she was a member here Coz she was definitely a Christmas nut :p
    Then instead of supper we had mulled cider and mince pies.

Fa la la la laaaaa, la la la laaaaa.

We should start a thread one of the missed connection type threads lol . Dear fellow christmas nuts did I meet you today at x place :pac:
    Oh I may get started on planning my little lads birthday too thanks for the reminder :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So the future Father In Law bought this for me.

5y7w37.jpg

He knows me too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loughc wrote: »
    So the future Father In Law bought this for me.

5y7w37.jpg

He knows me too well.

He is a keeper Lol, by the sounds of it he thinks you are a keeper too for his daughter, enjoy

That train looks awesome. I love the sleigh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

He knows me too well.

Have it, it's too cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is it just me, or does it start to feel less Christmasey as you get older. As in, it comes to quick and doesn't last long enough once your here.

For example two years ago I was in 6th year so I only took a few days off, spent most of it studying for my mocks.

Last year I was studying for college exams and this year it's studying and working.

It's so ****, I just feel like the Christmas season passes me by.

Even now when it's only November I have no free time at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it just me, or does it start to feel less Christmasey as you get older. As in, it comes to quick and doesn't last long enough once your here.

For example two years ago I was in 6th year so I only took a few days off, spent most of it studying for my mocks.

Last year I was studying for college exams and this year it's studying and working.

Unfortunately it gets worse when you get a full time job. Not a lot of places close for the Christmas period anymore and even though I work a 9-5 mon to Friday job I'm expected to work over the Christmas too.

And work seems to get busier in December and you always have so much to do and things to see and do so time flies by. My advice make lots of memories ones that's will last you a lifetime.

Take plenty of pics and where possible take time away from the hussle and bussle and just enjoy it all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There were definitely some very UnChristmassy years there for a while. But once I had the kids, it's even better than it was when I was a kid.

So Hollister11, my advice is to get knocked up or borrow some kids. :pac::D

2mnhcn4.jpg

I have to say Grafton street you're looking well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Can't see the pic, and the link is banned in this country....

I think it wanes for a few years but comes back to be as Christmasy as ever. I found that after I emigrated that it became more special for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I have to say Grafton street you're looking well!

That just gave me the most massive pang of homesickness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think Christmas got a bit crappy the years I was in college because I worked in retail but once that passed it became super exciting again. I think I might even enjoy it more now than I did when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I always look forward to Christmas and the actual relaxing part of it and eating as much as I can but this year I have to watch what I eat cos I have a wedding on the 30th December! :mad: So p'd off if I'm honest! I just want to relax not squeeze into a dress!

leahyl wrote: »
    I always look forward to Christmas and the actual relaxing part of it and eating as much as I can but this year I have to watch what I eat cos I have a wedding on the 30th December! :mad: So p'd off if I'm honest! I just want to relax not squeeze into a dress!

We got invited to a wedding on new years eve. I love christmas but I don't know if I'd have my wedding between the 20th December -10 January. The room in the hotel alone is over 250€ for the night of the wedding purely because its new years eve!? :o not to mention tryin to sort a baby sitter !

Sorry bit of a rant there ! Anyway I know how you feel leahyl :) I just joined slimming world to help with my weight loss so im resisting temptation for now !

We were invited to s wedding on the 28th a few years ago. I was bridesmaid so it would have meant staying with my parents for 5 days from Christmas Eve. (The wedding was in the same county as them and we were with them for Christmas that year.) I was fired as bridesmaid (for an unbelievable reason that I won't get into here) so we didn't have to go. I really enjoyed sitting in my pjs on the couch on the 28th that year! It's not a great time for a wedding.

We were invited to s wedding on the 28th a few years ago. I was bridesmaid so it would have meant staying with my parents for 5 days from Christmas Eve. (The wedding was in the same county as them and we were with them for Christmas that year.) I was fired as bridesmaid (for an unbelievable reason that I won't get into here) so we didn't have to go. I really enjoyed sitting in my pjs on the couch on the 28th that year! It's not a great time for a wedding.

I understand it's a couples special day but it is a lot of hassle for guests at that time of year isn't it ? We have decided that he will go as it's more his friends than mine and I will stay home with the kids in my pj's watching christmas films and eating left over selection boxes ... life's hard isn't it :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I understand it's a couples special day but it is a lot of hassle for guests at that time of year isn't it ? We have decided that he will go as it's more his friends than mine and I will stay home with the kids in my pj's watching christmas films and eating left over selection boxes ... life's hard isn't it :) :pac:

Oh I'd so love that! :( I guess, at least it's the 30th December so I do have a few days after Christmas to relax a bit, but still, I'll be thinking "God damn, I have a wedding in a few days"...:pac:

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh I'd so love that! :( I guess, at least it's the 30th December so I do have a few days after Christmas to relax a bit, but still, I'll be thinking "God damn, I have a wedding in a few days"...:pac:

Read that am I'm sitting here thinking "omg it's only a few days away and I havent put my tree up yet !? " your causing a state of panic here leahyl :pac: it does feel like it's just around the corner doesn't it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Homestore & more have tree skirts if anyone is looking for one.

One is 24.99 but the other one is more cost conscious at 3.99.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I really want a wicker ring tree "skirt". We have the little train, and I think the ring would be beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think Christmas does feel different when you are in your late teens / early to mid 20's. At that stage you most likely don't have younger siblings of Santa age nor might you have nieces or nephews of that age either. Also you would tend to be in retail work which requires lots of hours over the Christmas. However you get the enjoyment of sitting in your pjs for most of the day eating chocolates and watching Home Alone, Willy Wonka etc. Also there's the nights out, the 12 pubs, the gatherings if your friends have been away in different towns or colleges. I think it has a more chilled out feel. Enjoy it while it lasts. Cause when you get older it's sorting out Santa, where to have Christmas dinner, hosting gatherings at your house, stresses of organising food, drink, presents, trying to pay for it all.

I have to say I could be the exception to the rule here but I didn't experience that at all ! I know friends of mine would have felt that something was lacking in their 20s for Christmas but I was always the nut wearing a Christmas hat singing away ! If anything my Christmas enthusiasm has increased now that I have my own children ! :D I remember my mam actually saying the first Christmas I moved out was awful because my sister slept in and didn't care about Christmas at all (16 years old ) where as I would have had every body up in christmas pjs by 6am :o

Home Alone is 25 years old today! I was 5 when it came out and I can't remember it not being in my life! It's still as great as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Home Alone is 25 years old today! I was 5 when it came out and I can't remember it not being in my life! It's still as great as ever.

jeez i was 2? janey mac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow!! I was 6! I feel the same, it's always been there to watch around Christmas time. It's one of those movies that never gets old (unlike me!). It's that timeless that my son (who's 11) enjoys it every Christmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought my Christmas tree today!
    After browsing Woodies, Homestore + More, Homebase and B&Q, we settled for this 7ft.6in one.

I was very impressed by it; it's a lovely shade of green with nice branches; not those cheap shabby looking branches AND it was only €67 in B&Q!
    Before heading to B&Q, we were going to buy one very similar to it in Homebase, for €149, but the B&Q one is very like it....what a saving!

The Eiger one is the one we chose: (can only show you the UK B&q site; there's no Irish one)

http://www.diy.com/rooms/christmas/christmas-trees/artificial-christmas-trees/DIY1277211.cat/Tree__height-51036=7ft__6in?pageSize=12&categoryToFilter=DIY1277211

Also bought a light-up canvas picture in Homestore + More for €14.99

That was a great bargain fussyonion! I was going to get the Homestore and more one ... think a trip to b and q is needed now !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    That was a great bargain fussyonion! I was going to get the Homestore and more one ... think a trip to b and q is needed now !

Do!
    Like I said, the one in Homebase was VERY like the one I got in B&Q; the colour and the branches were all the same...only big difference was the price.
    Thrilled I was.

Our living room is 9ft high so that's why I got the 7ft.6in one but they did have it in a smaller and larger size too.
    It's the Eiger one, if you're interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'll be putting my tree up at the end of the week. Squeeeee!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement