Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Have all a y'all seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2394783/Cadbury-wraps-houses-purple-fabrics-festive-advert-200-year-history.html

Cadbury have been making chocolate for nearly 200 years but never had a Christmas add before :eek:

I think it will look cool, looks a bit rough around the edges now but it should turn out cool :D

vLbWghy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The sight of that gold bow on the house gave me the tingles!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

liamo22 wrote: »
    Have all a y'all seen this?

Cadbury have been making chocolate for nearly 200 years but never had a Christmas add before :eek:

They never had a Christmas as before?!? Mad! Especially when you think of all the cadburys selection boxes and everything else people but at Christmas! Goes to show what a power horse they are! Don't even need an ad haha!

Mmmmm chocolate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pity they are owned by Kraft now - quality of their tinned chocolates has gone down in my opinion since then

leahyl wrote: »
    Pity they are owned by Kraft now - quality of their tinned chocolates has gone down in my opinion since then

Totally agree! Roses are not the same as they once were. I buy a few tins for the kiddies out of nostalgia.

I prefer going to Leonidas or Butlers and creating my own box of chocs for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I saw tins of roses (yes already) in tesco last week and the packaging on the tins had new improved selection of sweets. A quick google later confirms they listened to feedback (mostly negative) from last year and they are trying to go back to the old tin selections.

Loughc wrote: »
    I saw tins of roses (yes already) in tesco last week and the packaging on the tins had new improved selection of sweets. A quick google later confirms they listened to feedback (mostly negative) from last year and they are trying to go back to the old tin selections.

Woohoo! Probably means we'll be paying more for the tins though!!

That's super news! Even if it means a few extra euro!

Woohoo! Probably means we'll be paying more for the tins though!!

The tin in tesco was €12 but I'm sure they'll come down prob not as low as last years prices. But def worth paying a extra few euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I'd actually pay the 12 blahs if I thought I'd get a decent sized Tin with the old favourites in it. A proper Whirly Nut & The Noissette one .

Same goes for Quality St - I'd give good money for a really good sized tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

Just back from Tesco, they are selling Christmas puddings :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Seriously??Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

You have made my day about the Roses I had completely turned off them they were utter rubbish last year but selling them at a fiver they were bound to be but as other posters said I would rather pay the tenner and get some of my old favourites back the praline chocolate block was one of my favourites !!!!

Emcm wrote: »
    You have made my day about the Roses I had completely turned off them they were utter rubbish last year but selling them at a fiver they were bound to be but as other posters said I would rather pay the tenner and get some of my old favourites back the praline chocolate block was one of my favourites !!!!

Oh I loved the praline sweet and the noisette one too! Hope they're back!

I loves the chocolate bite and the orange bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Oh my, I've just spotted this thread. I haz a happy now! :D

Despite a lot of this >> :rolleyes: when I brought the subject of Christmas up today my Honeybun came up with the idea TO END ALL IDEAS about Cadbury's Roses :eek::eek::eek:

Why not bring out a new collection of all the old favourites (including a coffee creme-my input :D) and call it "Cadbury's Roses Classic Collection" (my title was Roses - Old Irish Christmas Collection)

I'd pay cashy money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I just found myself googling "preparing for Christmas in August" so I had a choice. Go to bed and tell myself off for being too "planny" or come in here and surround myself with other planny christmas folk.

I've nothing done yet, but from next week will get one item a week of food stuff. Does anyone know of a preparation club or list of things that can be done really early? Would love a thread that tells you what to do. Like "This week wine is half price in Tesco, buy a bottle of red and a bottle of white, if you don't drink them yourself, they will be used by guests, or can be given as a gift if you're caught short."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Seen a deal on line and just bought my parents a double Christmas present for a stay in a nice hotel, they never want anything so its great to have them done but also does this mean I have officially started shopping for Christmas? ha ha

Seen a deal on line and just bought my parents a double Christmas present for a stay in a nice hotel, they never want anything so its great to have them done but also does this mean I have officially started shopping for Christmas? ha ha

Yes you're one of us now, come in sit down, I'll go get you a paper christmas hat... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

18 weeks and it will be Christmas eve, just thinking about it gives me such a buzz!

Can't believe it's that close, I love Christmas Eve!! Topic of the day favourite Christmas Eve tradition, mine is Christmas Eve pints in the local and the hang sandwich that night! :D

Can't believe it's that close, I love Christmas Eve!! Topic of the day favourite Christmas Eve tradition, mine is Christmas Eve pints in the local and the hang sandwich that night! :D

We shameless parents will also sneak out for a pint with my siblings and BIL as we have always done. We usually stay at my parents, so have babysitters - not doing Home Alone on it or anything :eek:

At the risk of being pointed and laughed at Midnight Mass in Drogheda.

Afterwards I walk back up Millmount to my car & I always pause to look over the town and think of the last verse of Silent Night. Then it's back home to rescue the Ham from overboiling on the range :rolleyes:

washiskin wrote: »

Afterwards I walk back up Millmount to my car & I always pause to look over the town and think of the last verse of Silent Night.

That sounds lovely :) I love Silent Night, and one of my favourite things about Christmas Eve Night and Christmas Day is how still and peaceful everything seems.

Did you ever see that thread I set up, the year before last I think it was, about Christmas Eve Traditions??! I think you'd like it :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400666

I have seen it and I love it and I couldn't find it when I went looking earlier, apologies guys, I replied to a post here instead of putting it in the correct place.

Mods feel free to move my previous posts into Leahyl's thread :)

I have seen it and I love it and I couldn't find it when I went looking earlier, apologies guys, I replied to a post here instead of putting it in the correct place.

Mods feel free to move my previous posts into Leahyl's thread :)

No, that's no problem, I just didn't think you had seen it!! :D I had to tell you just in case! You can reminisce to your hearts content on all the Christmas Eve Traditions now :pac:

washiskin wrote: »

Afterwards I walk back up Millmount to my car & I always pause to look over the town and think of the last verse of Silent Night. Then it's back home to rescue the Ham from overboiling on the range :rolleyes:

No, I won't judge, part of our tradition is that from about 10.00 PM my mother starts ringing EACH of our phones to remind us "not to drink too much cos we have to go down the road to Midnight Mass"....yep, same line, same time, every year :D

• Advertisement

I love watching Oliver on Christmas Eve! Don't ask me why. It started when I was a child and it just seemed to be on tv every Christmas, so it has kind of stuck. :)

Ooh just to let anyone Dublin based or Tiger based that I was in the Nassau street branch today and they had a super duper cute packet of Christmas earrings for 3euro. There were three sets, one was just a plain gold stud, then a snowflake set and to top it off, small dangly green Christmas tree ones!!! :) I was so happy to see them!! Who could resist! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement