Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Jude13 wrote: »
    Here's ,y list of movies I have to get through before heading home:
    1. Home Alone 1
    2. Home alone 2
    3. Trading Places
    4. Die Hard 2
    5. Harold and Kumar
    6. Scrooged.
    7. A Christmas carol
    8. Christmas vacation
    9. Love actually
    10. Polar express
    11. Elf
    12. Ill be home for Christmas
    13. The Santa Clause

Great list, few films I'd add. Its a Wonderful Life, I watch it a few times before Christmas, its the film in the background when we wrap the pressies. The Shop Around the Corner is also a classic James Stewart film with a Christmasy edge (original version of you've got mail). Planes, Trains and Automobiles is festive, Gremlins reminds me of Christmas, Arthur Christmas awesome Christmas ness. Couple of others I watch round now are Stardust and Princess Bride, though neither are Christmassy they are just good old fashioned fairy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

We've watched Stardust and Princes bride recently. I have never watched all of its a wonderful life, far too depressing.

Which to choose for tonight?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have never watched all of its a wonderful life, far too depressing.

That's why you think it's depressing. :)

Trust me, battle through the bad stuff, it makes the ending so lovely and satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, I think I have stumbled across a film that is never on anyone's Christmas list, yet is, in my opinion, a Christmas film.

It's called Just Friends - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433400/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I got a few laughs out of it, predictable, but highly recommended.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, I think I have stumbled across a film that is never on anyone's Christmas list, yet is, in my opinion, a Christmas film.

It's called Just Friends - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433400/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I got a few laughs out of it, predictable, but highly recommended.

I really like this film, it introduced the dreaded term "Day Date" into my group of friends lives haha. Really funny film, must give it a watch this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I don't like the lead actress particularly but the film is pulled up dramatically by the marvellous Ryan Reynolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I know it's far too early, and I'm probably over reacting but.... I'm starting to panic a little bit about what to get our son for Christmas this year. I'm fairly sure he doesn't believe in Santa anymore. He says "Christmas list" instead of "letter to Santa". Also he just doesn't seem to be fussed about presents. Last week I left catalogues lying around the house for him to browse but he has barely touched them. He said he would do his "list" last Friday but he didn't and he just glanced at the catalogues on Santa for a few mins. He just doesn't seem to be fussed or pushed about it. I've dropped some ideas, any games, clothes, dvd, books etc but just say "I dunno!"
    He doesn't really need anything though. But I'm just scared that he'll decide on something and then it would be too late to get it. We work full time and with our weekends starting to get packed out between now and Christmas I don't want to be in a mad panic or not have enough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

It's decoration week, eek with excitement! Smuggled all decorations and presents out of the attic so I wouldn't have to re clean the stairs later in the week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I know it's far too early, and I'm probably over reacting but.... I'm starting to panic a little bit about what to get our son for Christmas this year. I'm fairly sure he doesn't believe in Santa anymore. He says "Christmas list" instead of "letter to Santa". Also he just doesn't seem to be fussed about presents. Last week I left catalogues lying around the house for him to browse but he has barely touched them. He said he would do his "list" last Friday but he didn't and he just glanced at the catalogues on Santa for a few mins. He just doesn't seem to be fussed or pushed about it. I've dropped some ideas, any games, clothes, dvd, books etc but just say "I dunno!"
    He doesn't really need anything though. But I'm just scared that he'll decide on something and then it would be too late to get it. We work full time and with our weekends starting to get packed out between now and Christmas I don't want to be in a mad panic or not have enough time!

Do you think maybe he's unsure about the whole Santa thing and trying to see if you say anything if he leaves it long enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's decoration week, eek with excitement! Smuggled all decorations and presents out of the attic so I wouldn't have to re clean the stairs later in the week ;)

:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My decorations are going up this week too... very excited!! I'm mapping things out in my head and every idea I have involve lights... there might be alot of lights this year.

I'd say alot of people are putting their trees up this week/weekend. Can't wait to see all your pics of your Trees in the show us your tree thread.

Do you think maybe he's unsure about the whole Santa thing and trying to see if you say anything if he leaves it long enough?
    I don't know. I was trying to coax him along yesterday evening with ideas and said not to leave it too long to decide as you need to give Santa some time to get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Busy week ahead for you ! :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Busy week ahead for you ! :)

I cannot wait! I thought there was a lot but seeing it in one place makes me worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't know. I was trying to coax him along yesterday evening with ideas and said not to leave it too long to decide as you need to give Santa some time to get organised.
    It's toy show week so maybe that will get him going!

We're not putting our decorations up until next week but I had to take all the presents out of the spare room because we have someone staying for a couple of nights this week so they're at the end of our bed and it's very exciting waking up to them in the morning. :D

I cannot wait! I thought there was a lot but seeing it in one place makes me worry!

Ah I always say that, but then when you put them up and spread them out over a few rooms it won't look like much and then you'll go shopping and buy more ... Please tell me someone else does this too :p

Ah I always say that, but then when you put them up and spread them out over a few rooms it won't look like much and then you'll go shopping and buy more ... Please tell me someone else does this too :p
    Oh no I'm the opposite, I mentally go through in my head what decorations I have, figure that I have far too little, go into town and buy more. Then take my decorations down from the attic and realise I had far more up there than I had thought! Rinse and repeat each year and build up quite a collection....

Oh no I'm the opposite, I mentally go through in my head what decorations I have, figure that I have far too little, go into town and buy more. Then take my decorations down from the attic and realise I had far more up there than I had thought! Rinse and repeat each year and build up quite a collection....

Lol ! At least you try to be realistic about it! :) thinking then buying ! I know exactly what I have and where it goes every year and every year I still buy more. At this stage I'm seriously running out of space!

Thank god for ikea storage boxes ! :p this was most of my deco down from attic (not including my tree!) And yet I'm still buying ... Mr glitzgirl will kill me !

Thank god for ikea storage boxes ! :p this was most of my deco down from attic (not including my tree!) And yet I'm still buying ... Mr glitzgirl will kill me !

Yeah, I need some boxes, have 4 of those for arts and crafts and they are excellent. I'm factoring in my surprise third tree this year so I really need all the decorations ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I need some boxes, have 4 of those for arts and crafts and they are excellent. I'm factoring in my surprise third tree this year so I really need all the decorations ;)

Omg ha I love it ! He will get a surprise alright :) sounds fab !

I'm not getting so excited about Christmas this year for some reason. I mean, I'm excited but not overly so. I think it's because I have an exam Saturday week and until that's over I can't really concentrate on anything else! I am putting the tree and decorations up though on Friday (as is tradition!) so that'll get me in the festive spirit hopefully!

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm not getting so excited about Christmas this year for some reason. I mean, I'm excited but not overly so. I think it's because I have an exam Saturday week and until that's over I can't really concentrate on anything else! I am putting the tree and decorations up though on Friday (as is tradition!) so that'll get me in the festive spirit hopefully!

I used to have exams at December as well it certainly ruins the hyper mood, once the tree goes up you'll absolutely will get into it more.

leahyl wrote: »

And the toy show !pack yourself a nice little goody bag of treats and new pjs and a hot chocolate and your all set for toy show night !

I'm going to the toy show !!!! I'm so excited I'm posting it everywhere ! :D just got the call for tickets !

I'm going to the toy show !!!! I'm so excited I'm posting it everywhere ! :D just got the call for tickets !

Huge congrats!!!

Huge congrats!!!

Thank you !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

OMG amazing news congrats @glitzgirl can't wait to hear about it & what its really like :D:D

That's fab Glitzgirl! Delighted for you! Give us a wave!! ;-)

• Advertisement

applesock wrote: »
    OMG amazing news congrats @glitzgirl can't wait to hear about it & what its really like :D:D

Thanks ! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement