Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Happy birthday to all the mini elves with birthdays this month. I may need to go back to the Christmas birthday thread to check the names but you know who you are ! Hope everyone got their parties all sorted in the end :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Feeling seriously p'd off today, my birthday. My husband let S fall asleep in the car yesterday evening while I ran into Dunnes and as a result he was awake until after 1am, woke loads of times throughout the night and I had to peel him out of bed at 10.30 this morning and he's in a rotten clingy mood all day because he's wrecked tired. I'm also in a rotten mood as I'm exhausted and my blood pressure is in the toilet and I have to clean the kitchen from the apocalyptic scene that is the aftermath of my pre-birthday breakfast in bed. I'm going to a Die Hard screening tonight with my cousin while my parents look after S and now he's very likely to be really upset when I'm not there to put him to bed. And if he's upset by that I'll never be able to go to Christmas dinner with my friends on Friday as he's supposed to be having a sleepover with my parents so I can properly enjoy my night out.

Also the bedroom is a tip and my parents will see it because I have too much knitting to get done before the weekend and (despite having time to come on here and rant :o) I don't have time to tidy the bedroom. :(

Awh iguana sending you hugs and laughing slightly as we have all been there with kids fallin asleep at award times ! Nothing worse ! Throws them out of whack for 2 days at least I find ! Hoping you get to chill and enjoy the rest of your day in peace lol :) happy bday !

Edit to add my whole house is a dump. Mr glitzgirl is only home at weekend and the house looks like him and the kids have been squatting for 3 months in the house ... sigh... suppose it's worse when everyone is stuck in the house with the weather being so awful ... yup found my excuse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

iguana, Die hard will fix all! And I hate it too when the men don't follow orders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Glitzgirl my OH is the same, the mess is fairly manageable midweek when he is only here in the evenings but jésus, if he's off at the weekend I literally spend most of Monday clearing the wreckage :eek:

• Advertisement

Hope you gave out to him iguana! I have been known to let my OH get up during the night if he's the reason that the little guy was so unsettled... I'm a firm believer in learning by doing lol :)

Glitzgirl my OH is the same, the mess is fairly manageable midweek when he is only here in the evenings but jésus, if he's off at the weekend I literally spend most of Monday clearing the wreckage :eek:

Haha its shocking isn't it ! I literally waste an entire day just trying to clean the mess from him being home ... I swear he has it down to an art form :p don't you just love Mondays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

12321134_10153522632151387_6476122606379289380_n.jpg?oh=766210bde21a449694f6ab9b5c4e3fb1&oe=56E0E231

I just heard michevious laughter in the sitting room and when I went to investigate, I discovered the toddler in the middle of a self constructed mountain of presents, ripping the wrapping paper off somebodys Phantom Menace with delight! Tried to do my cross face but it was too funny :pac: There have been a pile wrapped with red snowman paper there for the last week and he had no interest but as soon as I added the shiny gold paper ones he was mad for them. Little magpie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Your food sounds fab dolbert. How're you serving the turkey and ham? Like a buffet or will you have a sit down meal?

Glitzgirl, he managed to get in behind the couch to the tree. I left him for a few mins while he just sat there gazing at it. He loves the lights. Then he let a scream and grabbed a bauble and a light and pulled. So now the couch is wedged against the poor tree. :(
    And he's spent the best part of an hour trying to climb onto the couch so he can reach it.

How is Loki doing?

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Your food sounds fab dolbert. How're you serving the turkey and ham? Like a buffet or will you have a sit down meal?

Glitzgirl, he managed to get in behind the couch to the tree. I left him for a few mins while he just sat there gazing at it. He loves the lights. Then he let a scream and grabbed a bauble and a light and pulled. So now the couch is wedged against the poor tree. :(
    And he's spent the best part of an hour trying to climb onto the couch so he can reach it.

How is Loki doing?

Aw thank for asking whispered x such a sweetie x not the best now. We are collecting her from the vets tomorrow all going well. We have a tough decision to make for her im afraid but I'm hoping she will manage through to one last Christmas with us and the kids before she starts showing visible signs of pain or discomfort :( but if she just isn't herself Mr glitzgirl will be bringing her to vet I couldn't cope with that at all. Tbh I've bn popping on here to cheer myself up and distract myself from it for a bit because it's so cheery here.

I don't know if you have access to Musgraves but they have a felt christmas tree it would be a great distraction stick it up on a door and let the tiny hands move the felt decorations all they want

Ah sorry to hear that. Xxx

I don't have a card unfortunately but do you know how much they are?

Ah sorry to hear that. Xxx

I don't have a card unfortunately but do you know how much they are?

Thanks hun x no they didnt have a sticker up at the time think bout 20€ without vat someone said? I'll have a quick look online see if they are on it

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Does anyone know any places that screen christmas movies? We watch a lot of them at home but would be nice to go out some evening get a meal and then go to a screening of a classic.
    Somewhere in the North/North East region would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Basically we'll just have it sliced on the table along with lots of crusty bread rolls, and maybe a cheese plate too. I should probably include some salad in the pretence of health

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My silly (shouldn't use stronger language) cat has just thrown himself kamakazie style into the tree! So much for worrying about the toddler! It's going to be a long few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cats and kids are just obsessed with Christmas trees. It's hilarious. My nephew took his first steps because he wanted to take a decoration off the tree.

I had a lovely Christmassy evening. Cracked open the Ferrero Rocher, had a couple of glasses of Cava and watched a couple of Christmas cookery shows. I had great fun shouting at Neven Maguire and James Martin that their food wasn't Christmassy enough. :D

Dolbert wrote: »
    Basically we'll just have it sliced on the table along with lots of crusty bread rolls, and maybe a cheese plate too. I should probably include some salad in the pretence of health

Sounds great, I'm thinking my concoction of dishes is a bit much and higgledy piggedly (technical term!). I'm back online now looking to simplify.

Thanks guys. I had a nice time at the movies and S was fine although he did wait up for me and only went to sleep a few minutes ago. At least I'm not worried about him getting upset on Friday night.

My husband is away all week too and it's amazing, my house is never spick and span but it ticks away nicely from Monday to Friday when it's just me and S. But the weekends are another story, by Sunday night it's like a hurricane has torn through it. And I don't even understand it as we spend a lot of time at weekends on outings. I either have to spend Sunday night or most of Monday getting it back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Elves! I'm heading to Dublin for a couple of days. Any suggestions for christmassy vibes? Will be in the city centre mostly so can't wait to see all the lights :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I seriously had to check the calendar this morning when I was looking at the advent calendar this morning. I was like there's no way it's the 8th already. :-O

Posted off my parcel to nz this morning. I usually weigh it in advance and split it into 2 packages if it's too heavy because it's cheaper to post that way. Been ridiculously busy this year though so I just threw it all in the box this morning and headed off to post it. It honestly didn't feel that heavy.

€55 :eek: :eek: :eek:

All that was in it was teabags, taytos, jaffa cakes, fig rolls and a book. Ugh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Does anyone know any places that screen christmas movies? We watch a lot of them at home but would be nice to go out some evening get a meal and then go to a screening of a classic.
    Somewhere in the North/North East region would be good.
    I know that the Lighthouse in Smithfield in Dublin are showing lots of Christmas films over the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure if that's too far for you though :)
    mud wrote: »
    Elves! I'm heading to Dublin for a couple of days. Any suggestions for christmassy vibes? Will be in the city centre mostly so can't wait to see all the lights :)
    Grafton Street and surrounding smaller streets have lots of nice lights, Brown Thomas have their Christmas windows which are ok (not great). Bewleys on Grafton St has been decorated for Christmas despite the fact it has been closed since Feb :D Then there is the Christmas Shop, top floor in BTs.
    The Christmas windows in Arnotts are much better in my opinion, they have lots of toys and fun stuff for kids rather than the arty farty BT efforts; they even have a lower down display for the littlest kids to look at which I love.
    There is the I Believe Christmas market in George's Dock and this weekend the Dublin Christmas Flea Market will be on, it's a walk or little Luas trip away in Point Village.

I'm sure some other people will have suggestions to add :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Got one of my Christmas jumpers on. Woo woo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://instagram.com/p/_CEFUezSNF/

That's a surprising number 1. Poor quality street :'(

Frank Kelly's Christmas Countdown was on in the car.

After it ended the 5yo pipes up from the back seat. "He said the swans were gone savage and there was blood everywhere."

Yes, yes he did!

Great tune.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Frank Kelly's Christmas Countdown was on in the car.

After it ended the 5yo pipes up from the back seat. "He said the swans were gone savage and there was blood everywhere."

Yes, yes he did!

Great tune.

Haha never fails to being tears to my eyes. love that!

We had a very popular craft morning this morning making Paw Patrol snow baubles. We used the figures from his busy books, photo baubles from Eurogiant, white tack and some broken up aeroboard packing for snow. S had so much fun. I think I'm going to get more baubles so we can make all different kinds.

15rci2d.png

That's a great idea. We have a bunch of tiny little Avengers all over the place, it would be nice to lock them up in a ball!

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's a great idea. We have a bunch of tiny little Avengers all over the place, it would be nice to lock them up in a ball!

It really was a huge amount of fun. I got the idea from some very over-priced Frozen ones we saw in B&Q the other day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement