Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Random one for you - I'm living abroad, returning home for the Christmas break on Thursday (can't wait), but I appear to have this bizarre obsession with egg nogg. Don't ask.

I don't think I have ever tasted it, though I did attempt to make it one year and ended up what could best be described as a cross between custard, wallpaper paste and frogspawn. My mistake may have been putting the booze into me rather than the saucepan.

Any recommendations on what I should buy and where I could get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Not a clue on the egg nog but I'd recommend jamie olivers mulled wine any day of the week.

I'm flying from the dessert on Thursday also, which one are you leaving?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Not a clue on the egg nog but I'd recommend jamie olivers mulled wine any day of the week.

DEAR GOD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Wine is to be savoured and relished, not stuck into a saucepan with cloves and fruit. :D
    I'm flying from the dessert on Thursday also, which one are you leaving?

I'm leaving the trifle. :pac:

I felt the same for years until I sampled the mulled wine I can make.

That plus I use questionable wine so I would say it's an improvement.

Being coy eh, I will keep my eye out in the airport for a egg nog sipping elf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I went to the closing down of a pub party years ago and by the end of the night, we had drank everything bar two or three 'mystery bottles' that had passed from the previous owner years before and were covered in dust. So we started playing games with a forfeit of drinking the mystery bottles. It came to my turn to drink and I got what looked to be a lovely big glass of baileys. So, without smelling it or anything, I chugged it back. WRONG. Turns out I knocked back a large glass of 10+ year old eggnog, on top of whatever other concoctions I had already consumed :( It was an experience, and not entirely pleasant. God knows how I didn't get food poisoning.

So anyway, my advice is stay away from old eggnog in blue dusty bottles :D

• Advertisement

So anyway, my advice is stay away from old eggnog in blue dusty bottles :D

I am hoping to purchase something of a more recent vintage. Ideally something made in the last month or two.
    I felt the same for years until I sampled the mulled wine I can make.

That plus I use questionable wine so I would say it's an improvement.

Don't get me wrong, the Mrs makes fantastic mulled wine. It's just that I can't seem to enjoy it at 22 degrees, in flip-flops and shorts. I reckon I would enjoy it more with the heavy jacket, gloves and scarf.
    Being coy eh, I will keep my eye out in the airport for a egg nog sipping elf.

If you are on Emirates, I'll be easy to spot:
    200.gif

I'm on BA out of Dubai. We're usually Etihad but not this time. Let's hope I don't miss the flight to Dublin.

I am making another batch of mulled wine Tuesday to bring to some pals house.

I'm on BA out of Dubai. We're usually Etihad but not this time. Let's hope I don't miss the flight to Dublin.

Yeah, we are usually on Etihad too, but for some reason, herself booked Emirates. At least with BA if you miss one flight to Dublin, there are loads more afterwards - it's almost every hour, I think.

I've dusted off my winter jacket, boots and Christmas socks/jumper/boxers for the trip. :D

Etihad's economy was more than BA's business so it was a no brainer. We made it through Heathrow in 90 mins that last time but our bags took another day.

We have done the same, bought some nice thick socks and have my wolly hat packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Ooh Alicat I've been waiting for the pic of your parents tree, it's always the highlight of the christmas tree thread!! :D

Aww thanks! :D

We've left it standing overnight to let it dry up a bit and let the branches come down. We have a drama though! Mum text me about an hour ago... They can't find the lights! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Christmas island today with all the gang! Can't wait, we do a Santa thing every year and try do a different one each time. We were in donegal last weekend to a hotel that turns into a Christmas hotel for december. My 5 year old had a ball, my nearly 2 year old got chicken pox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Alicat wrote: »
    Aww thanks! :D

We've left it standing overnight to let it dry up a bit and let the branches come down. We have a drama though! Mum text me about an hour ago... They can't find the lights! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm chilling out, watching Star Wars and wrapping presents. I'm almost done with my shopping; nothing too strenuous left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

One set of lights on the tree have gone again!!! Just like last year!! Sooooo annoying, I am very p'd off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm chilling out, watching Star Wars and wrapping presents. I'm almost done with my shopping; nothing too strenuous left :)

Alicat your tree!!! WOW!!! I love it!

Loughc wrote: »
    Alicat your tree!!! WOW!!! I love it!

Thanks! :D It's a work of art! :p My Dad fell around the place laughing when he came in and saw it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

We took S to see Santa today and before we got there I had prepared him that today wouldn't be when he gets his Batcave but was his chance to ask Santa for it, so Santa would know what to make for him. He was so over awed to get there to get in front of Santa that he was almost vibrating with nerves and excitement. The meeting went like this.

Santa: Hello little boy, what's your name.

S (all breathy, can barely be heard): Batcave.

Me: It's S.

Santa: Hello S. It's lovely to meet you.

S (still almost too breathy to be heard): Batcave.

Santa: And I know you've been a very good boy..... (waits for S to say 'I have' or similar.)

S (breathy as ever): Batcave.

Santa: And is this your mum and dad?

S (still breathy): Batcave.

Santa: And I believe you are 3 years old.

S (breathy): Batcave.

Santa: And now for the big question. What would you like me to bring you for Christmas?

S: A Batcave. ........................................................................................................................ (Then relieved to have finally said it so Santa could hear, he thinks and adds.) ... The bigger one.

Classic ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

iguana wrote: »
    We took S to see Santa today and before we got there I had prepared him that today wouldn't be when he gets his Batcave but was his chance to ask Santa for it, so Santa would know what to make for him. He was so over awed to get there to get in front of Santa that he was almost vibrating with nerves and excitement. The meeting went like this.

Santa: Hello little boy, what's your name.

S (all breathy, can barely be heard): Batcave.

Me: It's S.

Santa: Hello S. It's lovely to meet you.

S (still almost too breathy to be heard): Batcave.

Santa: And I know you've been a very good boy..... (waits for S to say 'I have' or similar.)

S (breathy as ever): Batcave.

Santa: And is this your mum and dad?

S (still breathy): Batcave.

Santa: And I believe you are 3 years old.

S (breathy): Batcave.

Santa: And now for the big question. What would you like me to bring you for Christmas?

S: A Batcave. ........................................................................................................................ (Then relieved to have finally said it so Santa could hear, he thinks and adds.) ... The bigger one.

That's brilliant. The magic is unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

All weekend the house has been full of turkey and ham, mince pices, mulled wine, a 'Christmas' tayto box, Celebrations and other various confectionery. I'm liking having a December birthday in the house :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

One of my antlers fell off my car the other day (my fault, and thankfully I wasn't moving so I was able to grab it!) but because of the rain I haven't been able to put them back on. Go away rain, you're ruining Christmas!!

I saw someone with Candy Canes instead of antlers last week actually. Has anyone seen them in the shops?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I saw someone with Candy Canes instead of antlers last week actually. Has anyone seen them in the shops?

Pretty sure I saw them in Penney's yesterday.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw them in Penney's yesterday.

Ooooh, if it stops raining I'll run up on my break, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I'm sure i seen them in dealz..

No, sorry, heatons!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's my birthday today! Only 10 more days to Christmas Eve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DenMan wrote: »
    It's my birthday today! Only 10 more days to Christmas Eve. :D

Happy birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Happy birthday! IT was my boys first birthday yesterday. December birthdays are great. We had a fab weekend. Big party yesterday. Did you do anything for yours?

We went to see Santa in lullymore today. Absolutely brilliant day. Fabulous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Been unbelievably busy at work this month so haven't had a chance to go properly Christmas crazy this year. However I am taking leave Thursday and Friday so it's all going to kick off. Have the kids this weekend as well so tree going up, trip to Santa etc. Looking forward to it like nobody's business :D

• Advertisement

Got the last of my pressies (bar one) for the other half after work, then had to wrap them pronto as we were doing our presents last night. Also had to do it before a pal of mine who's crashing at mine for a while got home.

Bottle of bubbly, candles and die hard 2.

My travel app says 1 day 18 hours till check in!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement