Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Loughc wrote:
    Likewise

Loughc wrote:
    That in between week is one of my favourite things about Christmas, as there's usually so much to do before Christmas, it's nice to be able to relax and enjoy that period.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, eating Quality Street leftovers and dreaming of a white Crimbo Limbo.

Ah well, we still have one more day left.
    Today is 11th day of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There's a brilliant new 90s music radio station in Dublin. It's using the frequency (88.1) that Christmas FM was using for Kildare. My car radio briefly flashes XMAS FM at me before changing to NINETIES. :D Worth a listen if you're like me and love 90s music.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, eating Quality Street leftovers and dreaming of a white Crimbo Limbo.

Ah well, we still have one more day left.
    Today is 11th day of Christmas!

Is today not the 10th day of Christmas, with the 6th of January being the 12th day?

Loughc wrote:
    Is today not the 10th day of Christmas, with the 6th of January being the 12th day?

Well, the first one starts on 25th Dec so if I'm counting right, today should be 11th day of Christmas.
    That's cuz the last one is actually on 5th Jan and the 6th is called Epiphany.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well, the first one starts on 25th Dec so if I'm counting right, today should be 11th day of Christmas.
    That's cuz the last one is actually on 5th Jan and the 6th is called Epiphany.

See I always thought that Christmas Day didn't count as Jesus was born on the 25th, the next day the 3 wise men got word of his birth and set out and travelled for 12 days to get to him, which is what is celebrated on the 6th.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote:
    See I always thought that Christmas Day didn't count as Jesus was born on the 25th, the next day the 3 wise men got word of his birth and set out and travelled for 12 days to get to him, which is what is celebrated on the 6th.

Exactly, 3 wise men came to visit Jesus on the 6th, otherwise known as Epiphany.
    As for the 12 days, it's said to be 25th Dec - 5th Jan. Wikipedia says so, hehe!

I stand corrected best update the count up haha.

Loughc wrote:
    I stand corrected best update the count up haha.

Ah, at this point, the only countdown we should be doing, is to Christmas 2016.

Ah, at this point, the only countdown we should be doing, is to Christmas 2016.

That starts Wednesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Loughc wrote: »
    That starts Wednesday ;)
    Looking forward to that. 1st day back at work today after 8 weeks. Depressing is not the word. I spent most of the morning organising my holidays for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Exactly, 3 wise men came to visit Jesus on the 6th, otherwise known as Epiphany.
    As for the 12 days, it's said to be 25th Dec - 5th Jan. Wikipedia says so, hehe!
    Wikipedia says "Date: 25/26 December – 5/6 January" :pac:

But Christmas day probably makes more sense as being Day One!!

***Everybody be sure to get involved in the countdown now this year, we always strive not to miss any days, but inevitably do!!***

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Happy New Year Everybody !
    I discovered this Forum only this year and was more of a lurker, but thoroughly enjoyed finding a bit of Christmas spirit here when I could connect.
    Cork Lass wrote: »
    I spent most of the morning organising my holidays for the year.
    I did that too, up until April anyway !
    First set of flights booked for Feb, still have to make my mind up about the other breaks (and a day off at home is also nice), but the most important thing was to put the hols request in with HR, and that's sorted now :).
    The key is to fit in a nice thing/treat every day, week, month, however small.
    And I have got the feeling that this January will fly by.

otnomart wrote: »
    The key is to fit in a nice thing/treat every day, week, month, however small.
    And I have got the feeling that this January will fly by.

Yes. This is definitely key. I made a list of all movies I want to see in 2016 and their release dates and a list of all long weekends and social events we have coming up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just wondering if anybody knows when the Calendar Club shops are closing down?

I know it's usually early January, but I'm not sure when exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There's a brilliant new 90s music radio station in Dublin. It's using the frequency (88.1) that Christmas FM was using for Kildare. My car radio briefly flashes XMAS FM at me before changing to NINETIES. :D Worth a listen if you're like me and love 90s music.

I think that frequency is used in rotation by different Internet radio stations. There was an excellent station called The Rock broadcasting on it for a few weeks back in October and every Sunday evening in November there was a different station broadcasting new indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I had the last of the sprouts for dinner today so for me Christmas is officially over and I'm in mourning!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Put S to bed tonight, put on my 'jammies and came out into the livingroom hoping for tea, a sandwich and to chill out and watch Rebellion. Instead this is what happened.

Husband: Do you remember my drone?
    Me: The one I gave you for Christmas, 11 days ago? What do you mean remember?
    Husband: I lost it.
    Me: What? How? What??????
    Husband: Well it's not lost, it's on the roof.
    Me: What roof? (Thinking he might have meant the canopy over part of the patio.)
    Husband: The house roof, obviously. Or maybe nextdoor's roof. I don't know, it went over the house and I couldn't find it again.

So instead of a lovely relaxing evening, I ended up back in my clothes, up a ladder with a lantern in one hand, delicately using my flat mop (as it has the longest handle) to maneuver an upside-down drone off the neighbour's chicken shed. While beneath me my husband holds the ladder steady and tries to bargain my declaration that he's getting no more Christmas presents from me, down to no more flying Christmas presents. I'm getting him socks next year.

Iguana that's brilliant. At least he can't complain when he gets socks this Christmas.

Ok elves I need yer help, I need a new podcast to listen to on the morning commute. Something cheery to brighten up the dull wet mornings. I used to listen to the Ray Foley show alias it's no more. So any recommendations of something similar would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Iguana that's brilliant. At least he can't complain when he gets socks this Christmas.

Ok elves I need yer help, I need a new podcast to listen to on the morning commute. Something cheery to brighten up the dull wet mornings.
    I used to listen to the Ray Foley show alias it's no more. So any recommendations of something similar would be great.

Adrian Kennedy "Dublin Talks" on 98fm if your into football "Football Weekly" which is released twice a week.

Adrian Kennedy "Dublin Talks" on 98fm if your into football "Football Weekly" which is released twice a week.

I also download Dublin Talks, I use that in the evening commutes, I find it's a bit too aggressive and dreary for the morning though, looking for something a bit more lighthearted for the mornings, I don't there there was one morning where the Ray Foley show didn't have me laughing on the way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Omg iguana you should have made him get up the ladder if he wanted it back. I'd say that was a fairly common conversation in any house that got a drone this Christmas :) definitely socks next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ray Foley was great. I didn't get to listen to him often enough. The odd time if I had an early appointment I'd get to listen to the start of the show and it was brilliant. Hopefully he'll be back on radio soon. Do you listen to Dermot and Dave? You could download their podcast.

I like listening to beat :) love the beat breakfast crew they are always so happy and cheery in the mornings

Ray Foley was great. I didn't get to listen to him often enough. The odd time if I had an early appointment I'd get to listen to the start of the show and it was brilliant. Hopefully he'll be back on radio soon. Do you listen to Dermot and Dave? You could download their podcast.

I haven't listened to Dermot & Dave since they moved to TodayFM. They only put up clips as a podcast and not a full show. But I'll definetly download them. Ray Foley has left a serious void in my working day haha.
    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I like listening to beat :) love the beat breakfast crew they are always so happy and cheery in the mornings

I used to love listening to Beat when I was living down South, but since I moved to Dublin I can't get it, they seemed to have stopped uploading podcasts as well, last Poadcast from the breakfast crew was in June 2015.

Oh right yea in Dublin sorry ... glitz goes back to bed clearly not fully awake yet ... :p

Oh right yea in Dublin sorry ... glitz goes back to bed clearly not fully awake yet ... :p

Can we all go back to bed? Tuesday cancelled?

Can we all go back to bed? Tuesday cancelled?

Motion second and carried ! Tuesday is cancelled elves everyone off to a nice warm comfy bed with a nice book or dvd of your choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Got half way to work and had to turn back, I've never had pain like it, I've been on two antibiotics & steroids in the past month plus everything else you can imagine, my chest & ribs in a bad way went the doctor rest& strong pain killers for the week, back to bed with me now with a hot water bottle catching up on this forum, so behind in work il have to try venture in tomorrow,

SarahLil wrote: »
    Got half way to work and had to turn back, I've never had pain like it, I've been on two antibiotics & steroids in the past month plus everything else you can imagine, my chest & ribs in a bad way went the doctor rest& strong pain killers for the week, back to bed with me now with a hot water bottle catching up on this forum, so behind in work il have to try venture in tomorrow,

Hope you feel better soon! In the mean time you always have online shopping to cheer you up if u get bored in bed ;) I miss my hot water bottle now that you mention it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Hope you feel better soon! In the mean time you always have online shopping to cheer you up if u get bored in bed ;) I miss my hot water bottle now that you mention it :(

Thank you, I'm trying hard to listen to my body if you know what I mean some of you on here I don't know you do it all with families and small baba's

Oh online shopping is the Biz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement