Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The tree is down and packed away. Tut room feels really empty. We usually keep a storage box full of beer where the Christmas tree was and we couldn't be arsed moving it all back in tonight. I had to dim the lights to make it feel less empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The sudden drop in temperature finally makes it feel like winter and that reminds me of Christmas. Would love some snow to take us through January and February.

Snow is so festive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

One of the neighbours still had their tree lit up in the sitting room window last night- fair play to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    The sudden drop in temperature finally makes it feel like winter and that reminds me of Christmas. Would love some snow to take us through January and February.

Snow is so festive.

My birthday is later January and I remember having snow a few times and going crazy over it :p I don't know if it's me or what but I find the evenings quiet dark, darker than I would have found them in December /November. Even the days are very dull. It could be just because I'm missing all the christmas lights though :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

One of the neighbours still had their tree lit up in the sitting room window last night- fair play to them :)

I've seen a few lights/trees still up, I think some people will take them down this weekend probably too busy in work.
    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    My birthday is later January and I remember having snow a few times and going crazy over it :p I don't know if it's me or what but I find the evenings quiet dark, darker than I would have found them in December /November. Even the days are very dull. It could be just because I'm missing all the christmas lights though :(

I found the same since the tree came down, it's def a case of missing your lights and seeing everyone else's lights outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,531 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This might be a long post but I've a countdown for Christmas 2016. I generally pick events during the year. Some I'll be looking forward to others I won't. You can add in tour own Birthday's, holiday, etc.(some dates are approx)
    Late Late Show returns after Christmas break.
    Argos Spring/Summer catalogue.
    Spring.
    Six Nations.
    Super Bowl.
    Pancake Tuesday.
    Ash Wednesday. (Lent begins)
    St Valentine's day.
    Eurovision song picked.
    General Election.
    Leap year.
    Mothers day.
    Cheltenham.
    St Patricks day.
    Holy Thursday.
    Good Friday.
    Summer Time begins.
    Easter Sunday.(Bank Holiday weekend)
    Easter Rising.
    Britain's got talent auditions.
    Grand National.
    Start of Summer
    May Bank Holiday.
    Eurovision Week.
    Main GAA season starts.
    FA cup final.
    Britain's got talent final week.
    June Bank holiday.
    Euros 2016.
    Fathers Day.
    Longest day of the year.
    Wimbledon.
    Schools are closed for holidays.
    Tour De France.
    Argos Autumn/Winter Catalogue.
    Autumn.
    August Bank holiday.
    Summer Olympics.
    Rose of Tralee.
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop.
    Schools return.
    X factor starts (maybe)
    September.
    Late late show starts.
    Tins of sweets out.
    All Ireland football and hurling finals.
    100 days to go.
    Ploughing championships.
    Smyths Catalogue.
    October(you can kind of mention Christmas)
    Boots catalogue.
    Shops begin to get busy and stocked up.
    Clocks go back.
    Christmas cake & pudding baking.
    Halloween.
    November.You can talk about Christmas
    It's Winter.
    Christmas ads begin.
    The John lewis ad.
    Ice skating and shopping centres and towns begin to light up.
    Santa grottos start to open.
    Late Late Toy Show.
    Advent.
    Decorations start to go up.
    December 1st.
    Advent calendars.
    Shops being to get stocked up with fresh Christmas stock.(party food, etc)
    Late night opening.
    Christmas cards begin to arrive.
    Christmas party season.
    Christmas week.
    Food preparation.
    Several grocery Shopping trips.
    Holidays.
    Presents wrapped.
    Turkey and ham bought.
    Christmas Eve.
    Last minute shopping and preparations.
    Visit friends/family with presents.
    Mass.
    Visit local pub.
    Go home and relax.
    It's Christmas day 2016.

A-MAZ-ING post!! This year on the Christmas Forum we'll be doing a Checklist to Christmas and ticking off stuff on the build up to Christmas so I will be stealing ALOT of these haha.

I also laughed at Xfator Auditions (maybe), so true, last season really was flogging a dead horse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If anyone wants to get one last look at something Christmassy, they still had their lovely tree with lights on in the front porch of Whitefriar Street church yesterday and the large crib was still up a couple of days ago inside too - complete with meerkats and a poodle as well as the usual animals :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I don't know if it's me or what but I find the evenings quiet dark, darker than I would have found them in December /November. Even the days are very dull. It could be just because I'm missing all the christmas lights though :(

January is just a very bleak month once Christmas is over. I feel a bit ungrateful about how glum I'm feeling. Normally I'm a happy person and I love my life but now that all the added Christmas sparkle is gone away, my lovely life feels a bit empty. It's really silly and I know in another week or so I'll be back to normal but Christmas is just so extra special that I can't help but feel an ache of missing it.:o

Snow is so festive.

Well the good news is that nearly everyone over on the weather forum is all excited by the upcoming weather models and think we have a good chance of not just snow but 2010 style snow!!!!:D

I'm making sure my oil tank is full to be on the safe side. And I think I might need to buy some lovely warm new boots tomorrow.;)

iguana wrote: »
    January is just a very bleak month once Christmas is over. I feel a bit ungrateful about how glum I'm feeling. Normally I'm a happy person and I love my life but now that all the added Christmas sparkle is gone away, my lovely life feels a bit empty. It's really silly and I know in another week or so I'll be back to normal but Christmas is just so extra special that I can't help but feel an ache of missing it.:o

This is exactly how I feel when Christmas ends. This is why I love this forum I genuinely used to think I was the only one who thought and felt like this and I was silly for being sad Christmas is over it's just glad to know I'm not the only one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Wow, some amazing posts!
    Thank you for reminding me that Christmas is all year round.

Wow, some amazing posts!
    Thank you for reminding me that Christmas is all year round.

You're very welcome, keeping the Christmas spirit alive all year long is what we do in this forum :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

This is exactly how I feel when Christmas ends. This is why I love this forum I genuinely used to think I was the only one who thought and felt like this and I was silly for being sad Christmas is over it's just glad to know I'm not the only one :)

My parents are the opposite and enjoy Christmas but are satisfied when it's over. I think when I was younger my post Christmas funk used to frustrate them a lot and they just couldn't understand it. It took me a long time to realise my feelings were normal. I mean something amazing has just ended and all you are left with is stinky January. It didn't help that my birthday is in December and my brothers' are January and February. All my celebrations were over for the year and my brothers' were still able to lord theirs over me.

Haha my birthday is also in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I think part of the problem for the "Christmas blues" in the UK and Ireland is that salaries are paid earlier in Dec and there is no bonus/double salary (so the salary has to stretch for 5-6 weeks) and there is no Carnival to speak of. In the Continent, once the Epiphany is over, Carnival starts !
    So the stretch until the Spring starts, does Not seem that long.:)
    Start a Carnival, guys ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Was sitting in McDonalds today and my god daughter started signing Jingle Bells! Think I might be rubbing off on her!

2zog1zk.jpg

This is so true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Winding down from Christmas by lighting the remaining Christmas candles and watching made for TV romantic movies by the fire. Like the Christmas movies, without being set at Christmas! ;) Close to Christmas as I can get, even the weather is Christmas like! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I spent the afternoon untangling lights and dismantling the tree.
    I'm now watching 'Elf' and having Baileys and raffaello as the chicken and ham cooks for my "little Christmas" dinner.

A great way to wind up the festive season. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Posy wrote: »
    I spent the afternoon untangling lights and dismantling the tree.
    I'm now watching 'Elf' and having Baileys and raffaello as the chicken and ham cooks for my "little Christmas" dinner.

A great way to wind up the festive season. :)

Enjoy sounds like bliss,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Is everyone back in their usual routine yet ? How are you finding it.

I won't get my routine back until the 25th as i have exams, then a week off. Then i'm back in college. Cant wait for it!!!

Is everyone back in their usual routine yet ? How are you finding it.

I won't get my routine back until the 25th as i have exams, then a week off. Then i'm back in college. Cant wait for it!!!

First week back in work done and the decorations are down and back eating healthy so back in usual routine. Only today is my house looking normal without the decorations. And it took me Til Thursday to shake off the feeling of missing being off.

I LIVED for the weekend so I'm savouring every minute being off. Catching up on some tv shows today and updating my calendar of events to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My baby and I watched Arthur Christmas last night.

And I got a new year pressie of a night to myself in a hotel next weekend from my husband. My hidden box of Ferraro are coming with me.

Still feeling Christmassy. :)

We've gone from Christmas and new year mode to 'oh my god you're in hospital soon' mode. We're trying to do as much as we can before then. Pub today, brunch tomorrow, pub early next week. Between that and getting my husband ready for hospital and getting the house cleaned for visitors I don't have time to be sad about Christmas being over. Definitely not back to normal after Christmas, but in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Yea, same here, guys. Was watching Grinch last night.
    Finally, took the tree down today.
    Slowly adjusting to the fact Christmas is over.
    Very slowly.

Saw an Easter ad on telly earlier on today, couldn't believe it!
    Still, it made me think of Christmas, hehe!

We've gone from Christmas and new year mode to 'oh my god you're in hospital soon' mode. We're trying to do as much as we can before then. Pub today, brunch tomorrow, pub early next week.
    Best wishes to your husband, Toto. I hope all goes well and he makes a speedy recovery. xx

Thanks Posy. :) He can't wait. It will solve a lot of pain and mobility issues for him. I, of course, am a nervous wreck!

We've gone from Christmas and new year mode to 'oh my god you're in hospital soon' mode. We're trying to do as much as we can before then. Pub today, brunch tomorrow, pub early next week. Between that and getting my husband ready for hospital and getting the house cleaned for visitors I don't have time to be sad about Christmas being over. Definitely not back to normal after Christmas, but in a different way.

Speedy recovery for your husband Toto!

Thanks Posy. He can't wait. It will solve a lot of pain and mobility issues for him. I, of course, am a nervous wreck!

Sometimes it's worse to be the loved one/friend/relative than the actual patient!

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Sometimes it's worse to be the loved one/friend/relative than the actual patient!

Absolutely! I have a box set ready to keep me occupied anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement