Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Just watched home alone ☺

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Well I won't be opening the shop on weekends and bank holidays- or from December 25th to the end of January, so I hope the hours will suit you! :pac:

Drool. Please stop describing my dream job haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Just watched home alone ☺

Ha.. Just logged in to say I'm watching home alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just popping back to say hello ! :) feels like ages since I've been here. Busy organising a communion at the min :pac: hope everyone is keeping well. I was up the attic adding some of the toys I picked up in sales to my christmas stock when I thought god may go back on to say hello to all the elves :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Just popping back to say hello ! :) feels like ages since I've been here. Busy organising a communion at the min :pac: hope everyone is keeping well. I was up the attic adding some of the toys I picked up in sales to my christmas stock when I thought god may go back on to say hello to all the elves :)

And hello to you too Glitzgirl, we've missed you :)

We're coming into our sunny lull period, there's also a drop off as the sun comes out and the brighter evenings are here, people tend to get busier and Christmas tends to drop off the radar a bit.

I've a busy period coming up myself, I have a communion, 2 confirmations and a christening to attend and they're all in the same month. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hi Glitzgirl!
    Loughc wrote: »
    I've a busy period coming up myself, I have a communion, 2 confirmations and a christening to attend and they're all in the same month. :eek:

We have a communion and a confirmation in the family. We will not be attending them. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Discovered wish.com Christmas sorted!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Loughc wrote: »
    We're coming into our sunny lull period, there's also a drop off as the sun comes out and the brighter evenings are here, people tend to get busier and Christmas tends to drop off the radar a bit.

I'm always here in the background, every day. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm having trouble getting into the christmas spirit this year. I found it very stressful last year, more so as it got closer and closer, to the point where when it actually arrived I'd just about had enough of it and couldn't really get into the swing of it. I was thinking about what caused this recently and realised that I'd gotten sucked into the whole commercial side of it far too much. This year I'm just going to try and remember the real meaning of it all, and this coming from a non-christian too. I really want to make it more about the whole 'feel' of christmas rather than the 'doing' christmas, if you know what I mean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's why I always try to have all my presents (or at least "main" presents) bought and wrapped by the first week of November. :)
    Like, if you made a real effort to start saving €20 a week now, you'd have €600 by the end of October to start shopping and when the lights are being switched on, you can be excited about Christmas, not stressed.

Next Christmas I'm going to make an effort to go to a carol service, the Christmas markets and maybe book a festive afternoon tea. I'm also going to make a list of my favourite Christmas films and watch one every Sunday from November and try and find time just to browse the Christmas shops without the stress of having to buy anything.
    There can be so much shopping/cooking/arguing about relatives/bickering and general business, that the joy and true meaning of Christmas gets forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I thought some of you may like to see my Mam's Easter porch :)

WP_20160329_12_09_42_Pro_zpsfkdwutvv.jpg

WP_20160329_12_09_54_Pro_zpsfeo7k3a5.jpg

She decorates for every occasion. Love seeing it through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Whispered wrote: »
    Discovered wish.com Christmas sorted!

Have you ordered from them? Let me know how you get on.

Hi to everyone else, can't believe it's April!!

Saturday is the 100th day of the year. How is it almost 100 days into the year already?!?

Thanks Loughc and Toto ! Feels like a little reunion going on hahah :pac:

It can be hard to get into the Christmas spirit if your feeling under pressure. I think it was Posy who mentioned about saving €20 a week and it really is a great habit to get into. I think I'd hate going through christmas if I was worrying about finances and stressed. I often see parents in smyths filling trolleys to the brim and then the look of shock at the total price when they check out :eek: I don't know how they do it !!

It makes the whole season more enjoyable because it gives you the opportunity to focus on what's important to you (ie for me that would he our little family traditions ). I certainly wouldn't be able to relax with a dvd and hot chocolate if I was freaking out or stressed about anything!

Hopefully we will be able to keep up the festive spirit and fight the lul that your talking about Loughc ! :)

On that note euro giant had fab hampers kits in for €10 for mothers day and still some in store. I picked some up for Christmas so delighted !

Mud that looks amazing! I love the easter tree :) im going to hand my head in shame while I whisper this... but this was the first year ever u didn't decorate for Easter :( felt so guilty them when mini glitz asked if the bunny would still be able to find us :p

Whispered I would be really interested in hearing how you found ordering from wish ! I've fallen in love with Ali Express recently and just ordered some fab scrabble tiles for some diy projects! (Yes you heard that right the girl who can't craft is gonna a give it a dam good try lol !)

Everyone here putting me to shame with their fab arts and crafts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kitten_k wrote: »
    Have you ordered from them? Let me know how you get on.

I ordered a nightlight star thingy for my little fella and it arrived within 3 weeks, works perfectly. Not hugely high quality but for €2 I didn't expect much.

I have a few cheap bits and pieces winging their way to me as we speak. I'll let you know what they are like. Not a good way of doing all of your christmas shopping in October, but this early it's a nice way of building up a few small bits and pieces to bulk out the bigger gifts. (I think)

Hi Glitzgirl!

We have a communion and a confirmation in the family. We will not be attending them. :cool:

I'd love to not attend my own toto but may as it's mini glitz making his communion so double the work here. I'm currently resisting the urge to eat all my sweet table supplies :D we have a few to attend so we may have to make a few cuts ! Otherwise I won't have a free weekend til after mid May :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd love to not attend my own toto but may as it's mini glitz making his communion so double the work here. I'm currently resisting the urge to eat all my sweet table supplies :D we have a few to attend so we may have to make a few cuts ! Otherwise I won't have a free weekend til after mid May :eek:
    Yeah it would be a bit weird if you decided not to attend. :D We can get away with it as the aunt and uncle.

We can help you eat your sweet table supplies if you want.

Yeah it would be a bit weird if you decided not to attend. :D We can get away with it as the aunt and uncle.

We can help you eat your sweet table supplies if you want.

I wonder would anyone miss me ... you never know I might get away with it lol :pac:

No toto! Your meant to be discouraging me not assisting ! Bad influences here I tell ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi everyone, it's been a while sine I was here too. It's great to see so much activity. No communions or confirmations do me this year I'm glad to say. I went to Kildare Village recently and picked up some lovely
    Christmas gifts, pandora jewellery for my daughters and a lovely Northface jacket for my nephew. This year I am using Evernote to keep track of everything I buy - the list is long already 🎅🏻🎅🏻🎅🏻

• Advertisement

Hi cork lass ! It's so handy to have an app to keep track of everything isn't it. I wouldn't have a clue what I picked up if I didn't have an app to have a quick look and check.

Great to see everyone doing their shopping early ! At this stage we will all be done by October :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Wow I'm so impressed. I'm not a forward present thinker at all. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi cork lass ! It's so handy to have an app to keep track of everything isn't it. I wouldn't have a clue what I picked up if I didn't have an app to have a quick look and check.

Great to see everyone doing their shopping early ! At this stage we will all be done by October :D

Very handy indeed. I've had years when I've found stuff I'd completely forgotten and ended up buying twice as a result. Organisation is the key 👌

Monday...

Awfully weather...

But remember it's only...

30ndu9x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Spending Saturday in bed with a cup of tea, watching A Very Murray Christmas.
    Haven't seen it yet and woke up today craving something Christmassy!

Although I gotta say, I was a little underwhelmed.
    Have any of you, elves, watched it?

Spending Saturday in bed with a cup of tea, watching A Very Murray Christmas.
    Haven't seen it yet and woke up today craving something Christmassy!

Although I gotta say, I was a little underwhelmed.
    Have any of you, elves, watched it?

I watched it. I did not like it at all. Random singing for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I never watched it because I never heard one good thing about it!

Hi Loughc and Posy!

Yea, I guess I expected an actual story line rather than just actors singing random festive songs.
    I know it was a Netflix's one-off but still... Especially since Bill Murray is supposed to be a good actor.

Anyway, I can cross it off my list now and next up is Christmas With Coopers which I actually started watching the other day but haven't got around to finish it so only seen a bit.

Especially since Bill Murray is supposed to be a good actor.

Anyway, I can cross it off my list now and next up is Christmas With Coopers which I actually started watching the other day but haven't got around to finish it so only seen a bit.

Watch scrooged with Bill Murray. It's amazing. Is Christmas with Coopers any good? I've heard good things about it.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote:
    Watch scrooged with Bill Murray. It's amazing. Is Christmas with Coopers any good? I've heard good things about it.

That's why I thought it'd be good.
    He's excellent in Scrooged.

I think Christmas With Coopers might be really good because there's a great ensemble cast.
    There is Diane Keaton in it which I love, also John Goodman, Olivia Wilde (love her also), Amanda Seyfried and plenty more.
    It gives an impression of a nice holiday movie.

I think we should check it out.
    What do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement